Mercedes-Benz CLS

ArranP

Importing it will still cost you about 5 million baht but at the end of the process you won't have the car, instead a customs official will have it parked at his house.

True story....happened to me.....

ArranP,

If you are serious about buying a CLS, I can probably help.

PM me if interested.

Any help with a better price on an X166? wink.png

You've had the hots for one of those for a while now haven't you?

What motor? 350 or 63?

ArranP,

PM me if interested.

I'm serious about buying a comfortable car, but disinterested by import taxes. I'm not sure I could persuade myself to give a amount of money to customs for what is a same vehicle.

Surely a car with foreign plates can be driven over the border into Thailand.

Then replace the number plate with the Thai vin plates of a written off car ?

what a fantastic idea, you should run down to the local breakers yard and grab a written off Merc CLS.

How do you plan to import the vehicle into a neighboring country where you do not live ?

ArranP,

PM me if interested.

I'm serious about buying a comfortable car, but disinterested by import taxes. I'm not sure I could persuade myself to give a amount of money to customs for what is a same vehicle.

You better stop buying imported food products as well then.

ArranP,

PM me if interested.

You better stop buying imported food products as well then.

Silly billy, the amounts of significantly different

what a fantastic idea, you should run down to the local breakers yard and grab a written off Merc CLS.

How do you plan to import the vehicle into a neighboring country where you do not live ?

a) The vehicle could be driven from the UK

B) The vehicle could be flown in from the UK for a short duration, not sure if it were only a temporary stay in Thailand if this would exempt the vehicle form customs tax, or what would the owner then become liable for the full customs tax if the vehicle were stolen whilst in the kingdom.

c) The vehicle could be driven in from the nearest/cheapest country the car can be purchased.

cool.png The vehicle could be flown in from the UK for a short duration, not sure if it were only a temporary stay in Thailand if this would exempt the vehicle form customs tax, or what would the owner then become liable for the full customs tax if the vehicle were stolen whilst in the kingdom.

c) The vehicle could be driven in from the nearest/cheapest country the car can be purchased.

So the vehicle would come in from a neighboring country on a visa. it has to leave again at some point in time to renew visa..... how do you explain the dodgy engine and vin numbers ?

and lol @ wanting to avoid import taxes yet mentioning flying a vehicle into the country.

You are not really thinking this through are you !!!

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

cool.png The vehicle could be flown in from the UK for a short duration, not sure if it were only a temporary stay in Thailand if this would exempt the vehicle form customs tax, or what would the owner then become liable for the full customs tax if the vehicle were stolen whilst in the kingdom.

So the vehicle would come in from a neighboring country on a visa. it has to leave again at some point in time to renew visa..... how do you explain the dodgy engine and vin numbers ?

and lol @ wanting to avoid import taxes yet mentioning flying a vehicle into the country.

You are not really thinking this through are you !!!

People ride across the world on these large engined motorbikes, I believe the Scottish actor Ewan mcgreggor did it.

Does he pay customs tax in each country ? Expensive trip.

What would happen if his bike were stolen in whilst in one of the foreign countries he was travelling through, would he then have to pay customs tax ?

What's preventing people from doing the same journey around the world but in a car instead, what would happen if the car were stolen whilst in Thailand ?

Deposit of Guarantee

• An importer is allowed to deposit a guarantee in a form of either cash deposit or a bank guarantee. However, for a temporary import of motorcycles via the Bangkok Port Customs Office and the Suvanabhumi International Airport Cargo Clearance Customs Office, the importer is allowed to offer himself as a guarantee.
        • In case where the importer is unable to deposit a guarantee either in a form of a cash deposit or a bank guarantee, he/she may request the embassy to issue a letter to Customs granting approval of the importer’s self-guarantee.
        • The amount of a cash deposit and a guarantee calculated by Customs is determined on the basis of all liable taxes and duties to be paid to Customs.
        • The importer/agent presents evidence of deposited guarantee to Customs.
        • Customs inspects the vehicle and personal belongings, then, returns one copy of the Simplified Goods Declaration to the importer/agent. Please note that the importer is required to retain the copy of the Simplified Goods Declaration and return it to Customs upon exportation.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

ArranP,

PM me if interested.

Any help with a better price on an X166? wink.png

You've had the hots for one of those for a while now haven't you?

What motor? 350 or 63?

Well, of course I'd take a 63 if not confronted by all the taxes, but even the 350 is still about 2-3M out of my price range, so the 63 remains a dream sad.png

And yes, It was love at a first sight :P The only other cars that might catch my eye are the new Q7, or if Ferdinand's company secretly make a full-size version of the red pepper ;)

Edited by IMHO

There are many gray-market importers that sell these cars new or close to new.. mostly imported from the UK.

Take a look yourself: http://one2car.com/MERCEDES-BENZ_CLS-CLASS/J24130313

True but I think the OP wanted to somehow avoid paying the import tax and the grey market cars still have to pay taxes. If he wants this sort of car he has to bite the bullet and pay these taxes either with an official Mercedes import or with a grey market import which will not necessarily be cheaper.

He could downsize a bit if he wants a coupe style luxury car. There is the Mercedes C class Coupe at about 3m and the CLA or even the BMW 2 at about 2.5m. Still plenty of taxes but not quite so expensive. Nice cars though

You can buy a 2011 CLS 350 diesel in the UK for as little as £22,000, I've been checking piston heads for the last few weeks

The duty would be nuts, plus customs would screw you over.

it would be cheaper to buy a new one in Thailand, I think they go for around 4.5 bf discount

There is a way to buy a car in the UK and import and not pay the duty, if you can show you or thai wife owned the car for two yrs, but it looks v complicated

I'm just grumpy because its the same car! just a different price tag.

I guess this is probably due to the fact the car is not manufactured in Thailand. I supppose the pulling power of a merc is strong enough that they don't need to consider making their luxury cars here.

Being a Brit, I've been used to circa 40k sterling for these cars, its quite a surprise when confronted with 100k sterling (5 million baht) for the same thing.

why on earth would I pay that much extra for the same thing, but many thais do and farangs for that matter. Heavens above whats the matter with these people

Edited by ArranP

I guess this is probably due to the fact the car is not manufactured in Thailand. I supppose the pulling power of a merc is strong enough that they don't need to consider making their luxury cars here.

Being a Brit, I've been used to circa 40k sterling for these cars, its quite a surprise when confronted with 100k sterling (5 million baht) for the same thing.

why on earth would I pay that much extra for the same thing, but many thais do and farangs for that matter. Heavens above whats the matter with these people

According to Wikipedia plenty of Mercedes assembled in Thailand

"Thailand Asia Assembly of C, E and S class vehicles by the Thonburi Group[20]

Still I guess plenty of taxes

As for your latter comment mmmm.... I have just ordered a Mercedes (GLA). I don't think anything is the matter with me lol. Its a personal decision about what we want and what we are prepared to pay. I have my reasons and no doubt anyone who does not want to pay their prices - assuming they can afford them - has theirs.

I wish you good fortune with whatever car you choose to buy

As for your latter comment mmmm.... I have just ordered a Mercedes (GLA). I don't think anything is the matter with me lol. Its a personal decision about what we want and what we are prepared to pay. I have my reasons and no doubt anyone who does not want to pay their prices - assuming they can afford them - has theirs.

if assembled here, then why the import taxes ? ( I'm assuming the import taxes are the lions share of the difference in price )

Edited by ArranP

if assembled here, then why the import taxes ? ( I'm assuming the import taxes are the lions share of the difference in price )

There's more than just import taxes... Even locally assembled cars can still get taxed 111% + VAT if they're not a good fit for the regulations.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/435479-taxes-on-cars-in-thailand/

Because the used car market is starting to get quite shaky, there are some decent deals appearing on nearly new cars, BMW's / Volvos etc

grey imports, i.e. on one2car etc, these dealers have been doing this for yrs, they have their longstanding contacts in customs and therefor know what they are doing - my friends brother imports cars from the UK to sell in BK, mostly Porsche's and Beemers, all legit paperwork etc

so the established grey importers are worth looking at

and normal traders too, Volvo S / V60's are pretty good value, a 2yr old car for as low as 1.2M for example, and some of the high end luxury cars are sensibly priced.. forget bahtsold, expats putting silly prices on their knackered Cayennes etc

Edited by fish fingers

The CLS is manufactured in Thailand, the article is out of date.

Old CLS are expensive because they were only manufactured in Thailand from 2012. Expect them to drop rapidly as more new CLS enter the market.