US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney announces leaving Thailand

webfact

American Ambassador announces leaving Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

kenny.jpg

BANGKOK: -- After four years, US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney has announced that she will be leaving her post and returning to Washington to work at the US State Department.

Ambassador Kenney made the announcement speaking Thai in a Youtube video in which she thanked Thailand for its hospitality and professed her love for Thai food and people.

After four years, US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney has announced that she will be leaving her post and returning to Washington to work at the US State Department.

Ambassador Kenney made the announcement speaking Thai in a Youtube video in which she thanked Thailand for its hospitality and professed her love for Thai food and people.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/08/american-ambassador-announces-leaving-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-08
  • Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another piece of bureaucratic deadwood gobbling the money of hard working taxpayers.

Yeah, who needs an ambassador to Thailand?

Who needs a U.S. embassy in Thailand?

Let's outsource it all to a Delaware corporation, like many U.S. prisons.

That's the ticket!

• Like 2

Well, as an American, I am not sorry to see her leave. I am sure there are many things that go on behind the scenes that we do not see or hear about, BUT....... from what I have gathered, she is more of a socialite than an embassador. Her photo ops, are what we see in the newspapers and on TV. Nothing substantial has ever been reported about her. Maybe she is being moved, because she is ineffective, to a highly paid desk job in DC where there is more opportunities for social endeavors.

Kristie Kenney began her duties as the United States Ambassador to the Royal Kingdom of Thailand on January 8, 2011. A career senior Foreign Service officer, she served as the first female United States Ambassador to the Philippines from 2006-2010. She began her diplomatic career in 1981 and her overseas assignments have included serving as the U.S. Ambassador to Ecuador and in positions at U.S. Embassies in Jamaica, Switzerland, and Argentina. For the last twenty-eight years, she has been married to Bill Brownfield, who is currently the Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics, Law Enforcement and Crime. (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/ambassador.html).

Looks to me she has been moved around a lot!

Well, as an American, I am not sorry to see her leave. I am sure there are many things that go on behind the scenes that we do not see or hear about, BUT....... from what I have gathered, she is more of a socialite than an embassador. Her photo ops, are what we see in the newspapers and on TV. Nothing substantial has ever been reported about her. Maybe she is being moved, because she is ineffective, to a highly paid desk job in DC where there is more opportunities for social endeavors.

Kristie Kenney began her duties as the United States Ambassador to the Royal Kingdom of Thailand on January 8, 2011. A career senior Foreign Service officer, she served as the first female United States Ambassador to the Philippines from 2006-2010. She began her diplomatic career in 1981 and her overseas assignments have included serving as the U.S. Ambassador to Ecuador and in positions at U.S. Embassies in Jamaica, Switzerland, and Argentina. For the last twenty-eight years, she has been married to Bill Brownfield, who is currently the Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics, Law Enforcement and Crime. (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/ambassador.html).

Looks to me she has been moved around a lot!

Weren't there rumors about a year ago that she was moved to Korea ?

• Like 1

Kudos to her for learning Thai, an example to all the long term ex-pats who still can't bother to learn the local language.

She should know Thai, at least on a basic level, she works for the US government and was posted in Thailand. It should be part of the job. I know many in the government who do go abroad do have to learn the local language, but I don't know if that applies to all positions and levels.

Her style of speaking and delivering Thai is very engaging. She certainly makes the listeners feel that she enjoyed being here. Did she do a similar video in English thanking her US expat constituency for giving her the opportunity to serve them and make their Thai experience more beneficial. Also did she include a video thanking the US taxpayers for their support in funding her efforts to help her enrich her Thai relationships and connections? Good luck to the ambassador.

• Like 1