US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney announces leaving Thailand

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Her photo ops, are what we see in the newspapers and on TV. Nothing substantial has ever been reported about her.

That is exactly the definition of a good Diplomat. Works behind the scenes, smooths out the winkles between her own country and the host country.

Headlines, and large public displays are not the Court of the Diplomat.

Excellent job, ambassador !!!~

Re. the language: When you speak Thai you have to make sure that each syllable has the correct tone (it’s a tonal language). The good ambassador doesn’t do that. Probably nobody had the guts to tell her. Instead, they gave her an award…

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/480802-top-thai-language-speakers-honoured/

Her condemnation of the coup is one blemish, if seen to be an endorsement of the previous administration.

Wonder if she still feels that way?

She had no choice. It is a long standing U.S. policy to "officially" oppose coups in general, and that includes coups by generals. It is NOT her policy! It is not even just Obama's policy. It is bigger than that.

Please don't bother with morality lectures now on the U.S. history of hypocrisy on such matters. Yes, we know already.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Her condemnation of the coup is one blemish, if seen to be an endorsement of the previous administration.

She had no choice. It is a long standing U.S. policy to "officially" oppose coups in general, and that includes coups by generals. It is NOT her policy! It is not even just Obama's policy. It is bigger than that.

Its true - Australia Bans all Junta members and family -

The Americans have to make a point-

Though she did say on Twitter she is "sad"" (with the Junta's overthrow of democracy)

The US Ambassador Kenney is smart and articulate. While she can only reflect the policies of Secretary of State Kerry and indirectly POTUS Obama, she has always encouraged the Thai people with reserved passion to do what's right for themselves. She has not inferred with Thai politics but also not sacraficed any democratic principles. She has always acted consistently with US policy and never brought issues to direct confrontation. She is a credit to what a society of equality can hold for women.

I expect to see her as a possible Secretary of State in the next Democratic administration!

I expect to see her as a possible Secretary of State in the next Democratic administration!

That would kind of shock me. It's usually people with much higher profiles who get that job. It is an interesting question though. Who will President Hillary Clinton, who was herself a Secretary of State, pick for her own Secretary of State?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think the US Ambassador to Thailand has reliable channels to get legit info. You think she reads The Nation?blink.png

She knows why there was a coup and who ordered it. Not that hard to find out.

The Ambassador was around when democratic party manufactured another crisis, formed a paid mob that shut down Bangkok, disrupted polls, threatened kidnapping of the PM etc. so their cohorts in the Army & crooked Court would overthrow the elected government. AGAIN.

She knows all about the political prisoners that have been locked up and the intimidation/control of media.

All this nonsense about saving the country from Thaksin is a smokescreen.

Team yellow/army/democrats need to be in firm control when the real transition of power takes place sometime in the near future. D-Day.

“The judges [during Thaksin’s 2007 in absentia conviction] were specifically appointed from a small group of people whose qualifications were based upon their antipathy to Thaksin,” adding that Thaksin “never had any independent review of the allegations.”

blink.pnghuh.png

and also take your incomplete, out of context, off-topic ramblings elsewhere, also.

wink.png

Moderator deleted post

Totally off-topic. And why must the 'red' truth always be so far away from 'the' Truth...? rolleyes.gif

They can't help themselves.

blink.pnghuh.png

and also take your incomplete, out of context, off-topic ramblings elsewhere, also.

wink.png

Moderator deleted post.

Totally off-topic. And why must the 'red' truth always be so far away from 'the' Truth...? rolleyes.gif

The truth is not easy to find since it's banned in Thailand. Everyone agrees with that.

In Thailand, you can only read what they want you to read.

Thailand's 'free press ranking' fell 100 places recently. You will go to jail (and probably die) if you print or read the correct material.

Have you read the 3,000 Wikileak emails and associated book?

The most explosive story in a decade and totally ignored in the Thai press.

More calamitous, incomplete, out of context, off-topic ramblings following earlier deletions of same.

Topic:

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney announces leaving Thailand

• Like 1

She was perfect for the job from the Thai perspective. Attractive, amicable, lively, never taking a counter position to what Thai officials wanted. However, there were times when I wish she could have shown some grit. For example, Thaksin getting a visa to visit the US, even though he's a fugitive from the law. Granted, that's primarily a US Imm. Dept. issue, but she, in her position could have been influential in that decision if she chose to speak up. As for the Yingluck puppet administration dropping the ball on allowing NASA to set up a research station in Thailand ....well again, perhaps that was too far removed from Madame Ambassador's influence. Would have been a big plus for Thailand though, to have some real scientists doing real science in their country, with Thai assistants, of course. Thailand needs all the help it can get to appreciate real science, and ease away from their ingrained hocus pocus beliefs.

I wish she could have shown some grit. For example, Thaksin getting a visa to visit the US, even though he's a fugitive from the law.

Thaksin was and is a US proxy. Do the research. Visa no problem.

Edited by Krataiboy

She was perfect for the job from the Thai perspective. Attractive, amicable, lively, never taking a counter position to what Thai officials wanted. However, there were times when I wish she could have shown some grit. For example, Thaksin getting a visa to visit the US, even though he's a fugitive from the law. Granted, that's primarily a US Imm. Dept. issue, but she, in her position could have been influential in that decision if she chose to speak up. As for the Yingluck puppet administration dropping the ball on allowing NASA to set up a research station in Thailand ....well again, perhaps that was too far removed from Madame Ambassador's influence. Would have been a big plus for Thailand though, to have some real scientists doing real science in their country, with Thai assistants, of course. Thailand needs all the help it can get to appreciate real science, and ease away from their ingrained hocus pocus beliefs.

I wish she could have shown some grit. For example, Thaksin getting a visa to visit the US, even though he's a fugitive from the law.

Thaksin was and is a US proxy. Do the research. Visa no problem.

Thaksin was the democratically elected PM thrown out by a criminal Army General.

Just because the Army gave themselves amnesty, doesn't change the fact, the US views them as third world thugs.

You are fully aware of what you are saying or you don't understand to much ?????

elected politicians are the not criminal and the ones who gain it unlawful is the criminals that's why easy

Hocus pocus talk for you selve it might be more than you are able of try to go to school !!

You maybe understand a thing or two after

It appears to me that she may have crossed the line a bit. I seem to recall her taking the challenge pouring ice water over her head on the media circuit. Within one or two days I think it was the US State department forbidding this. Maybe this didn't sit well with those in Washington. Just my opinion.

I thought it wasn't particularly good Thai in terms of its pronunciation and tones. You may notice there were Thai subtitles, which might tell you something. The speech struck me as something a native Thai speaker had translated for her, and she had memorised for the purposes of the video.
PS I looked at one page of the associated Youtube comments from Thais. Many were disapproving of her with various comments and criticisms eg "the American Ambassador who's created the most disharmony between Thailand and the US there's ever been". etc
I guess some of this bad feeling comes from when she spoke out against imposition of martial law in May of this year.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4aeEhNaf9k

• Like 1

Good for what. Should have put more pressure on the Thia government to level the Visa playing field. A Thai can emigrate to the USA and has all the benefits of an American Citizen except the right to vote.

But if you have a Thai visa you are not equal Many inequalities .

Example If you are a foreight student in the USA you can get part time work Not in Thailand

How will the US ever replace her...I mean...where will they find someone else that is willing to go along with US ignorance in Thai culture and politics...she will not be missed...about like a removing a blood sucking tick from ones body...the body is better for having removed it...

Good for what. Should have put more pressure on the Thia government to level the Visa playing field. A Thai can emigrate to the USA and has all the benefits of an American Citizen except the right to vote.

But if you have a Thai visa you are not equal Many inequalities .

Example If you are a foreight student in the USA you can get part time work Not in Thailand

You bring up a larger issue.

The problems of U.S. expats pretty much anywhere are a VERY LOW national priority of U.S. policy.

In my opinion, there is a strong cultural bias in the USA against Americans who choose to live elsewhere, except of course military and ... diplomats/ambassadors.

Compare to Mexico's concern about their people in the USA ... there it is definitely a big national issue.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

hardly a news story.

You're joking, right?

The USA, global economic and military superpower, is a very major trading partner with Thailand and the ambassador to Thailand of four years is moving on.

Also, Los Angeles (it's in the USA) has the largest population of Thai people in the world outside of Asia.

Certainly a news story.

It will also be another news story when the NEW ambassador comes in.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1