Newbie To World Travel: Coming To Thailand

Hello,

A couple of questions regarding my trip to Thailand.

here are the facts....

1) I have a valid US passport

2) I currently have a one way ticket into Bangkok, Thailand on August 4th

Here are my questions....

1) Can I get my 30 or 60 day visa when I arrive in Thailand? I don't need to get it ahead of time from what I have read. Infact, it seems that I could actually stay in the country for up to 30 days without a visa. Am I correct or is there something I am missing?

2)Is it OK that I have a one way ticket? I'm not sure how long I will be in Thailand and so I only booked the ticket one way. Will I run into any problems upon arrival with only a one way ticket? When getting my visa?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Hello,

A couple of questions regarding my trip to Thailand.

here are the facts....

1) I have a valid US passport

2) I currently have a one way ticket into Bangkok, Thailand on August 4th

Here are my questions....

1) Can I get my 30 or 60 day visa when I arrive in Thailand? I don't need to get it ahead of time from what I have read. Infact, it seems that I could actually stay in the country for up to 30 days without a visa. Am I correct or is there something I am missing?

2)Is it OK that I have a one way ticket? I'm not sure how long I will be in Thailand and so I only booked the ticket one way. Will I run into any problems upon arrival with only a one way ticket? When getting my visa?

:D

Welcome to Thailand!

With a U.S. passport you should be able to get a visa-on-arrival (actually a stamp in your passport that will let you stay 6o days without an actual visa ahead of time.) Don't overstay the 60 day limit, or you will end up paying a fine on leaving if you overstay. (If you want to stay longer, you can leave the country to a niegboring country, and re-enter with another tourist visa.)

Technically, you need to have a ticket for exit from Thailand on arrival. One-way tickets without a departure ticket are not supposed to be allowed. However, it is seldom actually checked. You may have a problem from the airline on your flight coming into Thailand, as most of the airlines are aware of the requirement of a departure ticket from Thailand on arrival. The airline is responsible for making sure you have that "onward ticket". Sometimes the airlines check, but again often they don't. I've been checked before by the airline, but have never actually been checked at entering Thai immigration. The best deal, however, is to get a ticket out of Thailand, even to a neighboring country, before you enter Thailand. Pay cash, and when you do actually leave, you should be able to use the ticket as credit towards purchase of your final exit ticket. I've done that before.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Thailand.

:o

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

1. You can not receive any kind of visa on arrival with a US passport. If you have confirmed onward tickets you qualify to receive a 30 day stay without visa but without the airline may refuse you boarding.

2. It would probably be ok if you got this far - but you are likely to have a problem getting on the aircraft.

I would advise you to either obtain a tourist visa from a Consulate or an onward ticket. If not arrive early and be prepared to buy a full fare onward ticket at the airport if they refuse to check you in.