US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw something on all the News channels tonight , they all ran it live from Dallas,

It is spreading in Texas,

time to

ban Dallas folk from traveling.

Most of the civilized country has wanted to ban Dallas folk, in fact, most all Texians from traveling beyond their borders for atleast the last 100 years. There was quite a resurgence of this sentiment when the boy from Connecticut became President.

Tell that to all the people that have relocated to Texas since 2008... The migration has been impressive and the growth is astounding... Can you say that about your home state?

Seriously though, if this gains a foothold in Dallas, it's off the map. Nobody will be allowed in or out.

The state of Connecticut has already instituted a State of Emergency, with the ability to impose quarantine at will... This without a single case being identified in the state...

http://www.wcvb.com/health/connecticut-declares-ebola-state-of-emergency/28988572

Travel restrictions will be next...

A second case has been identified in Dallas... A nurse that was on the team treating Duncan has developed symptoms of ebola... She was wearing protective gear at all times, but there must have been a breach in protocol somewhere according to the CDC...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/Texas-Health-Care-Worker-Tests-Positive-for-Ebola

Me tinks the CDC are not being 100% honest with the people on the contagion risk...

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 2

Saw something on all the News channels tonight , they all ran it live from Dallas,

It is spreading in Texas,

time to

ban Dallas folk from traveling.

Most of the civilized country has wanted to ban Dallas folk, in fact, most all Texians from traveling beyond their borders for atleast the last 100 years. There was quite a resurgence of this sentiment when the boy from Connecticut became President.

Tell that to all the people that have relocated to Texas since 2008... The migration has been impressive and the growth is astounding... Can you say that about your home state?

Contrary to popular opinion, growth is not good.

But I should not have been so flippant about a topic with the seriousness as this one. When a nurse in full PPE can not only be exposed but also become infected then we have an extremely virulent bio-hazard on our doorstep.

I will be very relieved to sit this one out back in the US rather than BKK.

• Like 1

A second case has been identified in Dallas... A nurse that was on the team treating Duncan has developed symptoms of ebola... She was wearing protective gear at all times, but there must have been a breach in protocol somewhere according to the CDC...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/Texas-Health-Care-Worker-Tests-Positive-for-Ebola

Me tinks the CDC are not being 100% honest with the people on the contagion risk...

Was this a nurse treating the patient before his condition was known to be Ebola? This went uncontrolled for two days and Duncan did go to hospital in that time, vomit in an ambulance.

The survival of Ebola outside the host (as posted by Clarkey) is particularly worrisome.

Was this a nurse treating the patient before his condition was known to be Ebola? This went uncontrolled for two days and Duncan did go to hospital in that time, vomit in an ambulance.

The survival of Ebola outside the host (as posted by Clarkey) is particularly worrisome.

No, it appears she was on the team caring for him after he was admitted to the hospital and placed in isolation... The CDC is only monitoring the health of the 48 people that came into contact with him before he was admitted...

Here's an update...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/CDC-Didnt-Monitor-Anyone-Who-Came-in-Contact-With-Duncan-at-Hospital

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/New-Texas-Ebola-Case-Worker-Wore-Protective-Gear

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/Second-Ebola-Patient-s-House-Sealed-Reverse-911-Calls-to-Neighbors

Edited by Loptr

No, it appears she was on the team caring for him after he was admitted to the hospital and placed in isolation... The CDC is only monitoring the health of the 48 people that came into contact with him before he was admitted...

Here's an update...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/10/12/CDC-Didnt-Monitor-Anyone-Who-Came-in-Contact-With-Duncan-at-Hospital

Eeeeee . . . yikes!

More study on how long this virus survives on surfaces and in liquids is needed. Also a rapid detection kit, possibly an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) field method is needed unless already available.

Here's an update...

Eeeeee . . . yikes!

More study on how long this virus survives on surfaces and in liquids is needed. Also a rapid detection kit, possibly an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) field method is needed unless already available.

Oh...throwing the medical jargon around...impressive ;-)

Here is one back at ya--(PCR).

They are both standard methods of testing; however, the US relies on the PCR because it is much faster. The trade-off is the test equipment is expensive.

Your idea of a test that can be transported and easily administered in a field scenario has some promise:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6204/1549.full

A trained healthcare worker, in a U.S. hospital working environment, presumably knowing this patient had Ebola, and he still caught it. When they say that you have to have had contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and that it's not airborne, etc., it sounds pretty "hard to catch" if you're just exercising due care. But it would appear that it's actually NOT.

No clarification yet on whether contact was during Duncan's first visit or prior to Ebola diagnosis. If nurse contracted while providing care to Dumcan after he was diagnosed then, there may be cause for concern regarding mode of transmission.

Unfortunately, many people were exposed to Duncan's Ebola between his first hospital visit and subsequent diagnosis. If only one or two get it from the Duncan screw up, I think that supports the statement that it is not easily transmitted.

I feel for health care workers and first line responders in the US as they did not sign up for this unlike those volunteering to assist in Africa. Potentially getting killed while trying to help others and do your job is hard core.

How does one really protect triage nurses and first line responders absent putting them in hazmat suits during their entire shift.

It would appear that's been clarified, as CDC has now announced that there was a "breach in protocols" (involving the wearing & removal of the protective suit if I read it correctly) and that the infection occurred after the diagnosis and during Duncan's care at the hospital.

It's beginning to sound to me like the waiting room in an emergency or acute care clinic could become a very very dangerous place if you're NOT there because of an Ebola infection...for both the waiting public and medical staff.

A trained healthcare worker, in a U.S. hospital working environment, presumably knowing this patient had Ebola, and he still caught it. When they say that you have to have had contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and that it's not airborne, etc., it sounds pretty "hard to catch" if you're just exercising due care. But it would appear that it's actually NOT.

No clarification yet on whether contact was during Duncan's first visit or prior to Ebola diagnosis. If nurse contracted while providing care to Dumcan after he was diagnosed then, there may be cause for concern regarding mode of transmission.

Unfortunately, many people were exposed to Duncan's Ebola between his first hospital visit and subsequent diagnosis. If only one or two get it from the Duncan screw up, I think that supports the statement that it is not easily transmitted.

I feel for health care workers and first line responders in the US as they did not sign up for this unlike those volunteering to assist in Africa. Potentially getting killed while trying to help others and do your job is hard core.

How does one really protect triage nurses and first line responders absent putting them in hazmat suits during their entire shift.

It would appear that's been clarified, as CDC has now announced that there was a "breach in protocols" (involving the wearing & removal of the protective suit if I read it correctly) and that the infection occurred after the diagnosis and during Duncan's care at the hospital.

It's beginning to sound to me like the waiting room in an emergency or acute care clinic could become a very very dangerous place if you're NOT there because of an Ebola infection...for both the waiting public and medical staff.

Yeah, it sounds to me like they're grasping at straws here.

They have no idea how / why this unnamed nurse became infected so for now they're assuming the nurse did something wrong.

I'd say this is concerning because with all that protection and precaution I would have thought exposure would have been very minimal even with a breach of protocol.

Just how much Ebola infected 'material' do you need to be exposed to before becoming infected ?

Edited by ukrules

Man with Ebola-like symptoms taken to Beth Israel in Boston

By The Patriot Ledger
Posted Oct. 12, 2014 @ 3:00 pm
Updated at 7:35 PM

BRAINTREE – A man with Ebola-like symptoms is being taken by ambulance to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Benjamin Kruskal, chief of infectious disease for Harvard Vanguard, said a patient complaining of a headache and muscle aches went to Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates, 11 Grossman Drive, on Sunday afternoon."Out of an abundance of caution we immediately notified authorities and the patient was securely removed from the building and put into an ambulance ..." Kruskal said in a written statement.
Kruskal said the patient recently traveled to Liberia in West Africa.

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20141012/NEWS/141018944

This graphic below sums up a lot of attitudes in America...

It is not rational to continue issuing entrance visas to residents of West African Ebola Hotspot Countries... Nothing about the president's continued refusal to stop issuance of visas can be justified. Instead his administration starts talking about a red herring - 'We can't stop flights from these West African Nations. we wouldn't be able to send Ebola Aid Workers'.... Doesn't matter that this is not the question - or that the answer is a Non sequitur[/size] - it is the Administration's answer.

Continued obfuscation, distortion, deliberately confusing the issue, purposely ignoring the safety of American citizens... all because of politics and political correctness... It should be a crime.

If an private individual or a private business or institution created a situation that by reckless actions caused people to be exposed to a deadly disease - when other alternative actions are available that would prevent such exposure, that person, business or institution can be charged with reckless endangerment of others... but obama cannot be.... How more wrongful can anything be.

obama and his minions obviously believe (in their maniacal fashion) that achieving their political agenda is more important than the safety of the public.

attachicon.gif1904065_319892984869751_7441121268789828243_n.jpg

I think the US government could afford to transport health workers by Air Force planes cheaper than it could fight an outbreak of Ebola on US soil.

• Like 1

This graphic below sums up a lot of attitudes in America...

It is not rational to continue issuing entrance visas to residents of West African Ebola Hotspot Countries... Nothing about the president's continued refusal to stop issuance of visas can be justified. Instead his administration starts talking about a red herring - 'We can't stop flights from these West African Nations. we wouldn't be able to send Ebola Aid Workers'.... Doesn't matter that this is not the question - or that the answer is a Non sequitur[/size] - it is the Administration's answer.

Continued obfuscation, distortion, deliberately confusing the issue, purposely ignoring the safety of American citizens... all because of politics and political correctness... It should be a crime.

If an private individual or a private business or institution created a situation that by reckless actions caused people to be exposed to a deadly disease - when other alternative actions are available that would prevent such exposure, that person, business or institution can be charged with reckless endangerment of others... but obama cannot be.... How more wrongful can anything be.

obama and his minions obviously believe (in their maniacal fashion) that achieving their political agenda is more important than the safety of the public. And I predict that because the Administration will not stop visa issuance that there will be more new Ebola cases in America from more West Africans allowed entry.

attachicon.gif1904065_319892984869751_7441121268789828243_n.jpg

I think the US government could afford to transport health workers by Air Force planes cheaper than it could fight an outbreak of Ebola on US soil.

obama cannot relent on the visa ban refusal because of the reflection it would have on his position of allowing open borders and want to grant Amnesty to 20 million Illegal Aliens... but the Democrats running for office including 33 Senate seats just might have a say so about this very soon... This issue is killing their chances of any hope to retain control of the Senate... But obama wants Amnesty for Illegals more than he wants to protect Americans... As a result of the failure of putting severe restrictions on granting visas to Ebola ridden West African Nations months ago as should have been - we have Ebola in America...

• Like 2

agree or disagree with the statement ?ermm.gif

" Ebola is going to spread FARTHER and FASTER here in the US due to our excellent ventilation systems in our hospitals...schools...stores...airports...malls...public buildings...offices etc...THINK...one or two people sneezing out EBOLA micro droplets that are spread up to 200 ft in the air.."

" Ebola is going to spread FARTHER and FASTER here in the US due to our excellent ventilation systems in our hospitals...schools...stores...airports...malls...public buildings...offices etc...THINK...one or two people sneezing out EBOLA micro droplets that are spread up to 200 ft in the air.."

I am going to mostly disagree with that statement due to ventilation systems being positive pressure systems and having integrated filtration.

This is specifically true in hospitals--and absolutely standard design in BioHazard isolation facilities .

Opinions and insights welcome.

I am going to mostly disagree with that statement due to ventilation systems being positive pressure systems and having integrated filtration.

This is specifically true in hospitals--and absolutely standard design in BioHazard isolation facilities .

maybe MJP would have a knowledge of this kind of stuff?

In order for a communicable disease to spread through the ventilation system of a workplace, the pathogens mustbe airborne. Coughing or sneezing by a contagious person disperses infectious droplets into the air which may then be inhaled by others

http://www.ohcow.memberlodge.com/resources/Documents/cdv.pdf

Some pedantic sort on another Ebola thread has gone into spasms trying to prove sneezing and coughing are not produced by an Ebola infection... but after I made mention that people sneeze and cough all the time from any cause... he wasn't really buying that - says he never sneezes or coughs ... the lengths people go to... wow! Anyway ... I think what you pose is somewhat plausible. After this nurse got infected in a full protective suit I am prepared to take a look at all routes of infection. Her nursing services were supposed to have been in the ICU only ... !!!!

• Like 1

Purdue professor says Ebola 'primed' to go airborne

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The first case of Ebola transmitted between patients in America has experts across the country reviewing safety protocols.

At Purdue University, Dr. David Sanders has been studying the virus since 2003 – specifically how this particular Zaire strain of Ebola enters human cells.

While the virus has thus far only been shown to be transferred via bodily fluids, Sanders argues that it could become airborne.

"It can enter the lung from the airway side," Sanders said. "So this argues that Ebola is primed to have respiratory transmission.

full article ...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/purdue-professor-says-ebola-primed-to-go-airborne

Airboane smellborne. Lol, what cha gonna do if it is. Free country, all prepoer types that are so worried can bunker down and threaten to fire if any steps on your property until this is all over. By all means do. This will certainly increase the collective IQ of those on the streets of the US. BTW, turn off you AC and heaters while bunkering down so droplets from the zombie sneezes from across the street won't penetrate your AC and heat ventilation systems. Wouldn't want you to get killed by your ventilation system.

How quickly would something like this spread in a place like Disney. Disney was more crowded than I had ever seen it yesterday. Employee assisting us with Fast Pass said 60,000 were in Magic Kingdom alone at 2:00 or so when I asked. 60,000!!! The daily average for all 4 or 5 parks combined is about 130,000.

60,000 in a small confined area from all over the world sharing 3D glasses, seats on rides, everyone sweaty as about 90 with hardly no clouds, everyone touching the same finger scanners, poles on monorails and in shuttles, dinner tables, princesses hugging children for pictures, and etc.

Yep, more hysteria type garbage. I handled a huge $ 26 mil case for Howden Buffalo Fan from England regarding installation of a fan system at St. Jude Hospital and learned more than I ever really wanted to know about hospital ventilation and pressure systems.

That case was back in 2002/2003 range so not real fresh in my mind, but I thought it was a negative pressure system. Isn't the idea behind the system to keep germs or virusus of an infected patient in that patient's room.

These systems work well at containing true and common airborne contagions and there is no reason to believe Ebola is any different unless Ebola can fly against pressure to find another victim.

Edited by F430murci

maybe MJP would have a knowledge of this kind of stuff?

In order for a communicable disease to spread through the ventilation system of a workplace, the pathogens mustbe airborne. Coughing or sneezing by a contagious person disperses infectious droplets into the air which may then be inhaled by others

http://www.ohcow.memberlodge.com/resources/Documents/cdv.pdf

The references in that report are 16 years old. From the pamphlet you provided:

"As previously indicated, there are numerous factors that af fect the viability and transpor t of infectious pathogens. It has not been clearly documented whether or not this mode of transmission is probable."

Still, it was an interesting read.

Yep, more hysteria type garbage. I handled a huge $ 26 mil case for Howden Buffalo Fan from England regarding installation of a fan system at St. Jude Hospital and learned more than I ever really wanted to know about hospital ventilation and pressure systems.

That case was back in 2002/2003 range so not real fresh in my mind, but I thought it was a negative pressure system. Isn't the idea behind the system to keep germs or virusus of an infected patient in that patient's room.

Yes, hospitals do use a "negative pressure system". So do HazMat Abatement crews. They actually have fans that create a negative air space much like an exhaust fan in a bathroom and there is a filter at that fan to capture airborne pathogens.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

CDC head criticized for blaming 'protocol breach' as nurse gets Ebola

(Reuters) - Some healthcare experts are bristling at the assertion by a top U.S. health official that a “protocol breach” caused a Dallas nurse to be infected with Ebola while caring for a dying patient, saying the case instead shows how far the nation’s hospitals are from adequately training staff to deal with the deadly virus.ermm.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-health-ebola-usa-nurse-idUSKCN0I206820141013

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

(Reuters) - Some healthcare experts are bristling at the assertion by a top U.S. health official that a “protocol breach” caused a Dallas nurse to be infected with Ebola while caring for a dying patient, saying the case instead shows how far the nation’s hospitals are from adequately training staff to deal with the deadly virus.ermm.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-health-ebola-usa-nurse-idUSKCN0I206820141013

The CDC has no real idea how the nurse's exposure happened ... they are just deflecting blame away from the obama Administration ... and they were clumsy in their assertions.

• Like 1

The CDC has no real idea how the nurse's exposure happened ... they are just deflecting blame away from the obama Administration ... and they were clumsy in their assertions.

You would have to come to the conclusion by now that they are not telling the truth when you consider all the separate pieces of evidence and join the dots (e.g. the 160,000 hazmat suits ordered, the way the Dallas health worker caught it, even while wearing protective gear).

They Have Been Lying To You About How Easily Ebola Spreads

How did a health worker in Dallas wearing full protective gear catch Ebola if the virus “does not spread easily”? Just last week, Barack Obama declared to the public that you cannot get Ebola “sitting next to someone on a bus”, and yet a nurse in protective gear that was taking extreme precautions to avoid being exposed to the disease has just caught it. The head of the CDC says that there must have been a “breach in protocol” somewhere, because of course the CDC guidelines regarding the transmission of this virus could never be wrong. Even with everything that has happened, our public officials are still insisting that Ebola is “difficult to catch”.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/they-have-been-lying-to-you-about-how-easily-ebola-spreads

Edited by Asiantravel