Sim Updates Needed For 10-digit Dialling

Thaising

"Come and upgrade your mobile Sim card free of charge at your operators' shops nationwide, starting from Sept 1 until Nov 30, or you won't be able to receive incoming calls."

If you haven't already received an SMS such as the one above, you will soon, as mobile-phone operators prepare to shift their customers into the world of 10-digit dialling.

All operators say they're ready to use the 10-digit system by Sept 1, the deadline set by the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

But they have expressed doubts over the ability of fixed-line telephone service providers to adapt their switching networks and older technology to face the change.

The switch to 10 digits from nine will require users to add an '8' in the middle of the existing two-digit prefix, followed by the existing seven-digit number, in order to make either a mobile-to-mobile or a mobile-to-fixed-line call. For example, numbers starting with 01, 09 and 02 will become 081, 089 and 082 respectively.

The new system will increase the potential number of telephone numbers from 90 million to 300 million, to meet growth over the next 30 years.

All new mobile subscribers, both prepaid and postpaid, after Sept 1, will automatically be on the 10-digit system with a new type of Sim card.

Everyone else will have to have their numbers and Sim cards adjusted, with a grace period until Nov 30, otherwise they cannot receive calls. The short message service (SMS) system will be fully switched over to 10 digits next March.

Wichien Mektrakarn, executive vice-president for operations of Advanced Info Service, said AIS had seen no problems so far in its trials of 10-digit dialling.

"The actual conversion of new-subscriber numbers to the new format will start from Sept 1, with our existing 17 million subscribers having an additional three months to upgrade their Sim cards at our Telewiz shops and dealers nationwide," he said.

Sunti Medhavikul, chief customer officer of DTAC, said his company's switching software had transferred to the new system since last month, and free Sim card upgrading services will be available at 350 DTAC shops nationwide from Sept 1.

DTAC has also developed applications to allow customers to edit their mobile numbers in the phonebook memory to convert to the new system.

Mr Sunti said the 10-digit system would eliminate a number shortage problem, create fairer competition and benefit overall telecom industry.

The provincial fixed-line operator TT&T, says its switching units are not as old as mobile operators claim, and that there will be no problem converting to the new system.

Who is starting this rubbish !!!

It sounds like some of the operators have a surplus of 64K SIM's they are trying to get rid of.

In a GSM environment, the Handset and the SIM have no idea what the mobile number is. The only thing the handset knows is what its ESN (Elcetronic Serial Number) is, and the SIM only knows what its IMSI is, which is like a Serial number of the SIM, that is stored also be the Mobile Carrier.

The Subscriber record actually holds the MSISDN record thats the full number for your mobile number including country code is actually stored in a database by the operator.

The real reason for changing the SIM to the larger capacity is an issue that has been annoying Mobile Carriers in the GSM Environment for many years, that being they have little control over what the handset does. Particularly for Data Bearer services and the like, it involved a manual intervention by the holder of the handset to do things like set up fax-forwarding, Data MMS etc. With the 64K SIM's this can be done from the Mobile Carrier, thus locking you into the Carrier even tigher.

The only real reason for Changing SIM's will be when 3G is introduced next year. To Operate the 3G (Or Wideband CDMA) handset to its fullest capability you need the larger SIM.

I for one will NOT be changing any of my SIM's.

Who is starting this rubbish !!!

It sounds like some of the operators have a surplus of 64K SIM's they are trying to get rid of.

In a GSM environment, the Handset and the SIM have no idea what the mobile number is. The only thing the handset knows is what its ESN (Elcetronic Serial Number) is, and the SIM only knows what its IMSI is, which is like a Serial number of the SIM, that is stored also be the Mobile Carrier.

The Subscriber record actually holds the MSISDN record thats the full number for your mobile number including country code is actually stored in a database by the operator.

The real reason for changing the SIM to the larger capacity is an issue that has been annoying Mobile Carriers in the GSM Environment for many years, that being they have little control over what the handset does. Particularly for Data Bearer services and the like, it involved a manual intervention by the holder of the handset to do things like set up fax-forwarding, Data MMS etc. With the 64K SIM's this can be done from the Mobile Carrier, thus locking you into the Carrier even tigher.

The only real reason for Changing SIM's will be when 3G is introduced next year. To Operate the 3G (Or Wideband CDMA) handset to its fullest capability you need the larger SIM.

I for one will NOT be changing any of my SIM's.

I really don't understand this, I would have though that any adjustments could have been done at the "exchange" so to speak. If one has to physically have to go somewhere to have numbers adjusted, then someone is going to be working very very hard. Telecoms experts explain please!>?

That was my understanding also and see no reason to have to physically exchange the SIM card. We are talking about a logistical nightmare if that is the case.

Thaising is 'teasing': All existing SIM cards will function normally, but the extra digit for mobile phone numbers will be needed from Sept. 1st 2006.

It will be inconvenient enough to change my phone book of 100+ mobile telephone numbers using the edit function to add the extra 8.

TIT

I'm a "postpay" subscriber to AIS and have internet connection to my account. I would have thought they would contacted me by now if I needed to do anything as drastic as change or reprogram my sim card now or into the future.

Fortunately I have an interface to my NoteBook so changing the phone number data base will be relatively easy.

Edit:

Just noticed while looking at my account via the AIS web site that they have my number listed as 089xxxxxxxx already

Edited by bdenner

Thaising is 'teasing': All existing SIM cards will function normally, but the extra digit for mobile phone numbers will be needed from Sept. 1st 2006.

Not according to this article, which I believe was Thaising's source

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/24Jul2006_biz03.php

Grrrrr.

EDIT <deleted>, it would appear that the link no longer works :o

Edited by Crossy

Crossy and Monty was right; the article was in the Bangkok Post business section dated Jul 24. Is now in the archive with only a short text.

George have I clear the air :o Hi libya 115 sometime teasing might brighten up someone else life. :D

Edited by Thaising

Crossy and Monty was right; the article was in the Bangkok Post business section dated Jul 24. Is now in the archive with only a short text.

George have I clear the air :o Hi libya 115 sometime teasing might brighten up someone else life. :D

Not Quite:

I read the link in the BKK Post: It is a scare-mongering marketing ploy. Newspapers don't always tell the FULL truth.

As above poster khutan stated; in the end you will lose out if you accept this 'upgrade' for free nonsense. It will cause all kinds of problems, phones will get locked, PIN numbers forgotten, certain non-compatible phones etc. All these will help 'telewizz' get custom and sell more phones, arrange more post-pay or pre-pay contracts and loads of other business ideas.

It has been done in other countries: check the cellphone forums!

here is an extract.............

"If you have a Cingular phone and get a SIM card in the mail, stop!

Don't install or activate it until you read this.

I have a Cingular Samsung x427 phone (6 months old). Got a letter

yesterday with a replacement SIM card, "this critical upgrade should

be done ASAP" yada yada. So I took out the old card, put in the new,

called and they activated the new card.

BZZZZTTT!! Bad move. First, even though my phone was relatively new

it couldn't handle the new card and locked up, insisting on a SIM

password. After entering bad passwords 3 times it's supposed to let

Cingular generate a PUK number, but the card screwed up the phone so

they couldn't do that. And, since they had changed me to the new SIM

card in their office I couldn't go back to using the old card."

This topic might not be over.........yet!?

Not Quite:

I read the link in the BKK Post: It is a scare-mongering marketing ploy. Newspapers don't always tell the FULL truth.

As above poster khutan stated; in the end you will lose out if you accept this 'upgrade' for free nonsense. It will cause all kinds of problems, phones will get locked, PIN numbers forgotten, certain non-compatible phones etc. All these will help 'telewizz' get custom and sell more phones, arrange more post-pay or pre-pay contracts and loads of other business ideas.

It has been done in other countries: check the cellphone forums!

here is an extract.............

"If you have a Cingular phone and get a SIM card in the mail, stop!

Don't install or activate it until you read this.

I have a Cingular Samsung x427 phone (6 months old). Got a letter

yesterday with a replacement SIM card, "this critical upgrade should

be done ASAP" yada yada. So I took out the old card, put in the new,

called and they activated the new card.

BZZZZTTT!! Bad move. First, even though my phone was relatively new

it couldn't handle the new card and locked up, insisting on a SIM

password. After entering bad passwords 3 times it's supposed to let

Cingular generate a PUK number, but the card screwed up the phone so

they couldn't do that. And, since they had changed me to the new SIM

card in their office I couldn't go back to using the old card."

This topic might not be over.........yet!?

Don’t jump to conclusion, wait until the day they implement the 10 digits which required subscribers to change their sim card. Whether is truth or not, let us wait and see after they start using the new 10 digits number. Till than there were be new topic to be discuss.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed AIS about the new 10 digit telephone number (I also wanted them to change the language for the sms they send me) and here is their email reply

Hi 1-2-call member

Subject : SMS Language and 10 Digits

Thank you Khun Gisele very much for your e-mail. It is our pleasure to serve and provide you the following information in order to fulfil your queries:

According to your e-mail, we would like to inform you that we are really sorry for answering your e-mail late. We have changed the preferred language of SMS to English for you already and we would like to inform you about 10 Digits as following.

AIS give a response to the National Telecommunication Commission of Thailand (NCT) policy that would like every telephone provider increase the digits of number form 9 to 10. This will start on September 1, 2006 that the customer who want to call 01, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 and 09 need to put 8 after zero both form mobile or landline. For example:

Old Style : mobile phone code 2 digits + mobile number 7 digits (01-8110888)

New Style : mobile phone code 3 digits + mobile number 7 digits (081-8110888)

This change is excluding the following number:

Landline Number (Nationwide)

Special Number 3 or 4 digits as 181, 184, 191, 1175, 1133 and audio-text number 1900-xxxx-xx, 1800-xxx-xxx

International Access Code 001, 007, 008, 009

The numbers memorized in the SIM Card and Phone need to be changed and this can be done on one own or contact the service center AIS, AIS Serenade Club, 1-2-Call Shop and Telewiz Shop from September 1, 2006 onwards.

To differ the mobile phone number form the landline number, please check the second to the forth digit of the number. Below is the group of mobile phone code help to distinguish the mobile phone number and the landline number

Group of Mobile Phone Code

030-031

040-041

046-048

0490-0499

050-052

057-058

0590-0599

060-066

0670-0679

068-072

0730-0731

0738-0741

0749-0751

0760-0761

0767-0771

078-079

090-099

Besides are the landline number and the special number that remain unchanged.

The message center number is also changed

GSM Advance: change form +6618110888 to +66818110888

GSM1800: change form +6613101800 to +66813101800

1-2-Call: change form +6618310808 to +66818310808

If the message center has not been changed within March 31, 2007, the mobile user will not be able to send and receive sms. You can change the message center number by yourself or contact the service center AIS, AIS Serenade Club, 1-2-Call Shop and Telewiz Shop form September 1, 2006 onwards.

By December 1, 2006 and onwards all mobile phone number can be reached by dial out with 10 digits number only as well as the call made form overseas the format also changed form 66-xxxx-xxxx to 668-xxxx-xxxx.

Additional Information : Background Melody

: The service that you can set background melody during your conversation on calls, just press *955 follow by destination numbers that you would like to make outgoing calls. To do so, you will be charged for selecting the service on IVR 5 Baht/Time (Excluding VAT) + charging rates for content 15 Baht (Excluding VAT) + monthly fee 30 Baht (Excluding VAT) + Call Charge to destination number as the promotion of your number. **Specially! Free Trial Promotion for customers who register this service within August 31, 2006.

Any questions? Just dial 1175 or 02-271-9000 or click at http://www.gsmadvance.ais.co.th/contact/contact_en.asp or email us 24 hours a day at [email protected] or you can go to http://www.gsmadvance.ais.co.th and select at "Online Call Center" (9.00 a.m. – 12.00 p.m. and 18.30 p.m. - 20.30 p.m. of Thailand Time).

Freedom Freestyle by one-2-call

I can't see why there should be any problem for mobile phones.

Many countries already have 10 digit numbers and if you dial overseas

it is way more

008 60 16 490 xxxx

This is my number which is 13 digits long.................

It is my understanding that any reference to "SIM card upgrading services" actually means that if you want you can go to a DTAC or AIS/One-2-Call retail outlet where they will copy all numbers from the phone to the SIM (if they aren't all on it already), remove the SIM, plug it in to a special adapter connected to a PC via USB, where a utility on the PC will look for 01/03/03/05/06/07/08/09 (with/without +66) telephone numbers and automagically insert an "8" in the appropriate location thereby "Updating" your phonebook. AFAIK there is no need/requirement/plan to replace existing SIMs. For some future services a new SIM may be required.

Edited by lomatopo