Where to get a good hamburger in chiang mai?

cmcom

Earlier I mentioned pickles here on the thread and I got a PM about them. While reading it I remember there was a pickles restaurant here in Chiang Mai. It was north of Chang Puak Gate. It was close to the bus station.

I don't know if they are still open or not. I know his wife had to take over the business and the burgers were really good.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The burger at Sizzler is good mainly for the fact will cook it to the temp one desired (only the larger size). Last time they they served it to me w/o the top half of the bun, was told they had run out of tops?!? I thought buns came whole and were cut in half (or maybe as a pair), guess they really do have strict inventory controls xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png .

UG: Take your "unfinished" burger home for dinner and fill up on the salad bar for lunch. Not that I've ever done that or do I really recommend ordering freshly cooked hot food to take home to eat as leftovers.

NJ: Boston is one of the most fairest places I've ever been, the fine people are of high moral quality (present company included biggrin.png ). p.s. It was a joke

Fair enough I'll try a Gecko burger sans accourtrements (though I don't think Sizzler has mystery sauce on theirs). I agree about their pickles though other rave about them.

I've never really like anything I've had at Geckos but if one is concerned more with the cost I can see why it suits them ...but this thread is for good burgers not prices sensitive ones (a point i've made previously). I mean just the statement "To me, Gecko Garden has a good burger for the price - considering where we are. It is charcoal grilled and that covers up the taste of the lousy Thai beef. They can be overly dry, but IMO are usually OK with cheese, pickles and lots of condiments. " says it all!

Ok pleasseeee don't call me unfair (or worse) as it's not CM, but at least it's closer then Boston, but in Bangkok there's a food truck called Daniel Thaiger (https://www.facebook.com/DanielThaiger). It's the best burger I've had in Thailand. Long lines and they close when they run out. I'm going again this weekend. In appreciation for not attacking me for this suggestion I'll tell you my secret, I call ahead right when they open at 5:30 p.m. and give my order by phone and then around 6 p.m. I go and eat it there at one a the few tables they have on the sidewalk so it's still hot and juicy!!

UG: Take your "unfinished" burger home for dinner and fill up on the salad bar for lunch. Not that I've ever done that or do I really recommend ordering freshly cooked hot food to take home to eat as leftovers.

That kind of defeats the purpose of having a "good burger." A reheated or cold one does not fit that description in my book.

I agree with you on Gecko Garden. I go there for the price, but there are plenty of places that are not as good, charging almost double for some things.

Beggars can't be choosers and Chiang Mai is not exactly a gourmet heaven for foreign food. However, Ragu's caramel cheesecake and chocolate cheesecake are deserts as good as I've had anywhere, but you do pay for the pleasure. smile.png

• Like 1

However, Ragu's caramel cheesecake and chocolate cheesecake are deserts as good as I've had anywhere, but you do pay for the pleasure. smile.png

I have only had it once & yes pricey but man was it awesome!

Also to be fair per price It did last more than one sitting smile.png

Actually prices are one the rise even more it seems at many spots

we use to frequent...Fuji's included.

However, Ragu's caramel cheesecake and chocolate cheesecake are deserts as good as I've had anywhere, but you do pay for the pleasure. smile.png

I have only had it once & yes pricey but man was it awesome!

Also to be fair per price It did last more than one sitting smile.png

Actually prices are one the rise even more it seems at many spots

we use to frequent...Fuji's included.

Not only that but I have noticed some places where the size of the offering was smaller. One place I can say for sure as the last three times I was in there it was smaller. I mentioned it to the owner and he said he would check it out. Two of the times it was the same item. So I don't call that just a one time deal. The third time it was an item I have often eaten before. But I will not say for sure until I have had it a second time. If it is smaller then I will find another place.

Sony Sodon's Fatimah Restaurant near the Night Bazaar. Best deal in town.

I think both 4 Corners and Beer Republic are closed. Don't know if anyone else mentioned that.

Beer Republic use to open around 9 AM. Now they open around 4 PM. I think they are doing pretty well at that location. I was there last night.

Had the duke burger at dukes yesterday. Not bad at all and good size but little expensive. I look forward to try the ribs

110 Baht or what 130-140 Baht with cheese and your choice of fries, salad, coleslaw, etc. is expensive???

Are you kidding???

Also an often over looked fact is that the water is always there. You don't have to chase a waiter down for it.

Disclaimer

That is most of the time. There are a few lapses.

This, actually, is a big selling point for me. Keep it free and free flowing. Mr K usually has a fruit shake whenever we sit down at where we've chosen to eat, sometimes I will, often I won't, but I may have a drink of something else or a coffee after I've eaten or if we have dessert. But with food, I only ever drink water, and I don't expect to go into a semi-upmarket type place and have to pay for my drinking water. I know there are many who think I'm wrong about this, and costs have to be covered blah blah - those 25 litre bottles of drinking water aren't exactly expensive, and we're paying retail for them. It depends on how much they want to provide a service. I know of a couple of one-step-up-from-foodstall 75-80 baht a meal type places where they do this, so please don't try and tell me that cost is a factor. It's a service, plain and simple. You either provide it or you don't, and when paying more, I expect it.

That isn't just in Thailand by the way. That includes when we go back to Australia and England; In all but the most basic of basic places, I expect drinking water to be offered if not automatically provided, free of charge. Actually, back home, the most basic of bacsic places tend to supply free drinking water, it's only when you move up the price scale that it starts being an issue.

• Like 1

One of the better burgers in Chiang Mai IMHO has always been at Sizzler Steak House. http://www.sizzler.co.th/en/menu_burger.php

I was really disappointed in the one I had there. A friend of mine had given it a real big build up. So I tried it and was very disappointed by it.

This was at the airport mall. Maybe the price had some thing to do with my disappointment. But the salad bar was good.

Change the cook and you have a hockey puck..whistling.gif

Spoken like a true connoisseur clap2.gif

Why is though that us amateurs, merely customers not entrepreneurs or professionals, know this when so many business owners and managers don't?

Had the duke burger at dukes yesterday. Not bad at all and good size but little expensive. I look forward to try the ribs

110 Baht or what 130-140 Baht with cheese and your choice of fries, salad, coleslaw, etc. is expensive???

Are you kidding???

Also an often over looked fact is that the water is always there. You don't have to chase a waiter down for it.

Disclaimer

its was 270 bath with choice of sides

Are you kidding???

Disclaimer

its was 270 bath with choice of sides

You probably got the Joes special with bacon and blue cheese.

electrified was posting in reply to the plain burger and the cheese burger.

Both of which get the same choice of sides as yours.

Went into a MacDonald's last week, having not been to one in about five years. I was astounded at the high prices; won't be going back soon - no, just won't be going back. This accounts for my visiting this site to see what hamburger haunts exist. Thanks for the updates. Cheers

Edited by tango

Went into a MacDonald's last week, having not been to one in about five years. I was astounded at the high prices; won't be going back soon - no, just won't be going back. This accounts for my visiting this site to see what hamburger haunts exist. Thanks for the updates. Cheers

When I first came to Thailand, a buddy of mine told me, "I go to McDonald's for a Big Mac, not a hamburger. They are not the same thing." I thought those were wise words then and even more so now. For me, they do not scratch the same itch.

When I first came to Thailand, a buddy of mine told me, "I go to McDonald's for a Big Mac, not a hamburger. They are not the same thing." I thought those were wise words then and even more so now. For me, they do not scratch the same itch.

What a great observation ! Macca realy isn't a burger but a greasy, salty thing that is like giving the finger to all you know is proper....sometimes you just gotta do it, I had a sausage mcmuffn last week for first time in years.... yum.

What a great observation ! Macca realy isn't a burger but a greasy, salty thing that is like giving the finger to all you know is proper....sometimes you just gotta do it, I had a sausage mcmuffn last week for first time in years.... yum.

When I lived in Prague, all of the McDonalds had large, fresh, healthy salads on offer which is all I would ever order. I wonder why they offer them in some markets and not others?

I had a Big Mac a few weeks ago and it was great. I usually prefer something healthier, but it was pouring rain and the streets were flooded. I am glad that McDonald's is around when I occasionally get the urge, but one of them in CM would be enough for me.

White plate / 4 corners has closed ,is this permanent

Seems to be. People have asked on their facebook with no response. But in recent months it was not very good anyway. I think the original owner sold up a while back and they were trying to operate off the reputation of the previous owner.

Looks like it was sold back in March.

Edited by elektrified

re

I was kind of interested to hear if Pickles was still open

no its not ! ... i went past there about a week ago and its just another closed up / empty building in the whole row :)

just like the rest of chiang mai with loads of closed up old shops and empty new shophouses everywhere !

dave2

post-42592-0-30172500-1413195815_thumb.j

The burgers at the White Plate are the best I have had anywhere in SEA in 25 years.

We went to White Plate, Sunday afternoon and it was closed. I was told by the Thai's there that they went out of business. I'm not certain what happened since they were doing so well there. I didn't see the previous posts :-(

Edited by CMNightRider

Pure speculation on my part, but last time I was there, in June, the Korean guy was still there, but not in the kitchen. The burger was sloppy made (but tasted fine), and the menu was also considerably reduced. He mentioned somebody else was cooking and that was why the menu was reduced to the simpler things.

I think this was not long after some lowlife here posted on whether there was any reason why he should not rat out the Korean to immigration for supposedly working without a work permit or something like that. Not that I ever saw him working there myself, of course.