Tabletop mini tripods

MJP

My Indruo CT-414 with BHL-3 head is a wonderful tripod. But it's not very convenient for quick shoots or walkabouts. So, the other day a little tripod arrived in the post, grand total of £16 delivered . . . the Manfrotto Pixi Mini . . .

Manfrotto_Pixi_1_lg.jpg

Now this may seem an inadequate wee thing, alas no! Fits in the front pocket of the small Domke bag and is perfect for those times you want a stable platform without having to lug big kit. A7r with 55mm lens was perfectly stable on the Pixi Mini this afternoon.

This was taken using the Pixi Mini, the tripod sat on the sea wall, 2 second shutter delay, tripod secured to wall by hand to prevent fall into sea.

15302818718_b00cd1752d_b.jpg

I also have the Manfrotto 709B on order. £30.

mini-tripe-de-mesa-manfrotto-709b-digi-f

I highly recommend these if you use a MILC or compact system camera, although the 709B can handle fairly large DSLR's.

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/pixi-mini-tripod-black

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/black-digi-table-tripod

M....these look pretty cool & very compact. I use a Joby GorillaPod Focus.

Saw a photog using one once & it was attached to a stop sign with the thing out

horizontal and the camera in the landscape frame position. Asked him how much

they were,he told me, I went & bought one immediately! Joby make an ok head

but you can use your own if you prefer...tripod head that is...not the cranium.

Easily fits in almost any size kit bag. Attaches almost anywhere too.

Website...

http://joby.com/gorillapod/focus

Youtube video...

I have 2 Manfrotto Pixi Mini. they are lovely ! bought one in Hong Kong at something like B450, then another one in Fortune at 800B++, can't remember exactly. they are very well built !

I like the 'flat' legs of the Mini. I added some rubberised felt on the inside surface of the legs so the tripod could sit of irregular object; for example, on the hand rail or on the camera bag. I also added Velcro strap on it for attaching heavier load, increasing the stability.

if they come up one size bigger, then it is perfect for travelling.

I often stick my Velbon CX mini in the backpack when out trekking . . light, solid & packs super small.

4265565030_41e8b543e0.jpg

Sometimes use it as a portable digital audio recorder/shotgun mic stand too, if i'm out grabbing soundscapes.

I often stick my Velbon CX mini in the backpack when out trekking . . light, solid & packs super small.

4265565030_41e8b543e0.jpg

Sometimes use it as a portable digital audio recorder/shotgun mic stand too, if i'm out grabbing soundscapes.

GH...Simple answer from moi....Good choice. Especially with multiple uses.

I am actually looking for this one - Induro DR Hi Hat 75mm Set. anyone see this in Bangkok ?

380153961_1280x720.jpg

http://vimeo.com/54955403

Etat...Try AV Camera or Big Camera of Google for CineRent. The latter won't sell you one

but they'll know where you can get one...perhaps not in BKK but HKG for sure. Mind you,

I have an O'Connor set of baby legs, almost the same as the Induro pictured but when it

comes to "real" portability, remember that 75mm ball base has some weight and the entire

set is kinda chubby...would you like to carry it around in a bag all day long? The main reason

I bought the GorillaPod is simple...it doesn't weigh very much, attaches almost anywhere to

anything and looks neat(!).Plus it fits into my "day bag" easily. Sure there's better like the

Induro in the video....but just try and attach that to a verticle pole or a lopped off post or

a hand rail or...name the place. It's great for flat/nearly flat surfaces just like any tripod is,

but...try wrapping a stiff leg around a rock for stability when you see "that shot". Please

don't get me wrong...Induro makes a great product. I have a CT414 and 3 way head

that I love...MJP kinda likes his too!...However...this set of lil legs is better suited for

video/16mm film than stills. I also shoot motion for a living in formats from 16mm

to IMAX and firmly believe many camera operators slag the importance of support.

BTW...my GorillaPod supports any of my big Nikons and my Pana HVX 250 loaded

with Anton Bauer batteries & an attached mattebox. It's not rated for the Pana but

does the job. My Arri SR3 will just collapse the thing as will My Ikegami GFCam...

but it will hold a D800 series & 80-200 @ 2.8 (heavy beast) all day long.

Not trying to steer you away from the Induro but there effective alternatives

out there! PM me if you desire & we can discuss said alternatives.

I am actually looking for this one - Induro DR Hi Hat 75mm Set. anyone see this in Bangkok ?

http://vimeo.com/54955403

Etat...Try AV Camera or Big Camera of Google for CineRent. The latter won't sell you one

but they'll know where you can get one...perhaps not in BKK but HKG for sure. Mind you,

I have an O'Connor set of baby legs, almost the same as the Induro pictured but when it

comes to "real" portability, remember that 75mm ball base has some weight and the entire

set is kinda chubby...would you like to carry it around in a bag all day long? The main reason

I bought the GorillaPod is simple...it doesn't weigh very much, attaches almost anywhere to

anything and looks neat(!).Plus it fits into my "day bag" easily. Sure there's better like the

Induro in the video....but just try and attach that to a verticle pole or a lopped off post or

a hand rail or...name the place. It's great for flat/nearly flat surfaces just like any tripod is,

but...try wrapping a stiff leg around a rock for stability when you see "that shot". Please

don't get me wrong...Induro makes a great product. I have a CT414 and 3 way head

that I love...MJP kinda likes his too!...However...this set of lil legs is better suited for

video/16mm film than stills. I also shoot motion for a living in formats from 16mm

to IMAX and firmly believe many camera operators slag the importance of support.

BTW...my GorillaPod supports any of my big Nikons and my Pana HVX 250 loaded

with Anton Bauer batteries & an attached mattebox. It's not rated for the Pana but

does the job. My Arri SR3 will just collapse the thing as will My Ikegami GFCam...

but it will hold a D800 series & 80-200 @ 2.8 (heavy beast) all day long.

Not trying to steer you away from the Induro but there effective alternatives

out there! PM me if you desire & we can discuss said alternatives.

make very good sense though ! I also separate studio tripods and outdoor tripods, they are different animals !

the Induro Hi Hat comes to my attention, for its STURDINESS, and it's low profile capability ! hardly find any alternative has both qualities. learnt that the Hi Hat 75mm also compatible with other studio 75mm half ball accessories, that is a big plus.

I get some not so good experience with a Gorilla Pod looks-alike; and it catches too much attention on the site :-) people don't get a sh?t on the big blunt tripod, but the Gorilla Pod catches every eyes !

hmm . . . been in Hong Kong and checked with some professional photo supplies, could not find the Hi Hat neither.

^^^ Try Photo-Scientific on the Island and JH Traschler also on the island(North Point).

On Kowloon try David Chan camera. You can Google these places easily.

My GorillaPod has black bands on the ball looking bits vice the other electric

colours...nobody pays any attention to the Pod but they may look at the kit attached

to it!

thanks sunshine

actually I ask my friend in Hong Kong and look for the photographic gadget there, more availability and in more reasonable pricing. Stanley Street in Central is his shopping area, including Photo Scientific I guess.

I used the 'Gorilla Pod' once from my friend. it was some what smaller than that in your video, not sure if it is another cheap look-alike. let's me check real Gorilla Pod then.

GH, I'm trying to lose weight. Super kit lite is now down to around one kilo!

see your point of one kg !

yet in shooting Thailand, I realised that it is more like a 'drive-then-shoot' scenario. then I have my 3kg+ tripod in the hood, and I move it by meters in stead of carrying it for a day.

for travelling overseas, that actually the Mini come into the picture, yet it is just a big too compact sometimes :-)