Car Insurance + Thai Licence

johnfb

Dear All...I have bought a car and cannot find answers easily on here to these questions :-

I have a work permit for 3years , I am a Brit and been here for 1 year. I need car insurance for my used car - can this be done online ? I speak/read no Thai. If online is not an option where do I arrange car insurance ? What documents do I need to get this car insurance if any ?

I have an international driving licence that expires in August. I need to be able to drive in Thailand - do I need a Thai or international licence ? What documents do I need to get the best option of these ? Where do I go to get licence ?

Thanks

Dear All...I have bought a car and cannot find answers easily on here to these questions :-

I have a work permit for 3years , I am a Brit and been here for 1 year. I need car insurance for my used car - can this be done online ? I speak/read no Thai. If online is not an option where do I arrange car insurance ? What documents do I need to get this car insurance if any ?

I have an international driving licence that expires in August. I need to be able to drive in Thailand - do I need a Thai or international licence ? What documents do I need to get the best option of these ? Where do I go to get licence ?

Thanks

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

This is all you need to know..click on How to get a licence

Dont let your international driving licence run out or you will have to take a full Thai Driving Test

Thanks

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

This is all you need to know..click on How to get a licence

Dont let your international driving licence run out or you will have to take a full Thai Driving Test

Actually although the rules say you need an IDP, when I went to get my thai license they didn't even look at it just took copies of my english photocard license. That was at the Chatuchak office.

All you need is 2 photos, your work permit, passport, Driving License (and IDP just incase). You'll need to make photocopies of everything which you can do at the office and take a colour blindness and reaction test. Took me about 2 hours because I arrived just before lunch so they closed up for a while!

That's helpful. We're buying a used car tomorrow, and by then we'll also have these documents:

1. My passport, with non-immigrant O retired visa until November;

2. My Texas driver's license, and an IDL, both expiring next year.

I suspect I'll have to run to Immigration and get a residency certificate in order to register the car in my name.

I'm half blind but I can probably fake my way through the two tests for peripheral vision and depth perception.

Question A: can I register the car, with the documents I already have?

Question B: my partner, a 38 year old Chiang Mai native, will have to enroll in driver education before he gets his first driver's license for a car. Meanwhile, if I'm lucky and pass all the tests on Monday, can I start driving the car legally after that?

Of course, we'll get liability insurance on Thursday or Friday.

Note: in the USA, except NYCity, almost every adult has a DL to drive cars, but not motorcycles. Here, it's the reverse, I guess (if Thais even have driving licenses).

Question C: since both my drivers' licenses say I'm licensed for both car and motorcycle, can I assume my Thai license will say the same, without a driving test?

Thanks, y'all :o

I had translation of my drivers licence into English from my embassy.

A special paper from immigration that I live where I live.

A health declaration from a doctor that I am alive.

Four small photos.

The first three papers in four copies BECAUSE I applied for both a licence to drive a car and a licence to drive a motorbike.

The licence will be valid for a year. After this year you do the same paperwork again and then you get a licence for 5 years.

Good luck!

Question C: since both my drivers' licenses say I'm licensed for both car and motorcycle, can I assume my Thai license will say the same, without a driving test?

You'll need two licences here, one for m/c another for car.

Get them at the same time and you can use a copy of the medical cert and residence cert :o

Since you have an IDP, no test for either.

The eyesight test are not too hard although the depth perception one is a bit strange, I'm sure I failed the reaction test, still got the licence though.

Peaceblondie;

I have done all this myself.

A = Yes

B = Yes

C = you get two, one for the motor Bike the other for the car.

The Eye Test is for Colour and Depth Perception, you can bluff a bit by saying you don't understand what they are saying.

Does this mean you are selling your CBR ?????? PM me with a price if you are :o

Thanks for the great replies. I'd forgotten that two licenses require extra copies. And I'd forgotten the medical certificates.

Yeah, the bike's for sale. I'll post a free ad in the classified section.

................................................................................

I was told at the tax D.L office that the international driving licence is only eligable for 3 months and not the life of the document.

This is important to all as your insurance could become invalid after if you need to make a claim.

Please don,t take chances or try to " bluff it " as it could be dangerous to others and costly.

Yes many will say but it,s already like this, but it doesn,t cover your own obligations or your conscience.

Along with the colour test you also have to take a highway code written test which is a

mark the box type one.

You will obviously have to clue up on this to achieve the required pass rate and you really need to know the basics for your own karma.

It,s no longer a cross my palm Thai Baht even if you don,t understand the laws, i,m also pleased to say.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Well, we're buying the car as I speak. The registration process requires the buyer/owner to prove he lives here, and I mis-assumed the friendly little immigration shop requires PROOF for that. The 90 day registration requires no proof, apparently (I had done that ten days earlier). The landlady is in Bangkok and can't fax to here, etc., so I'm registering the car in the boyfriend's name. I trust him, after three years.

The only things I'll try to bluff, being totally blind on one side, are the depth perception and peripheral vision tests. I'll do my best, using a hint about the depth test machine that somebody gave me. In forty years of driving like that, a million miles in cars and maybe 165,000 in motorcycles, even in Chiang Mai traffic, the only side-related accident was in Mae Tang, where the dumb dog had no headlights or directional signals.

Thanks again.