Home made hamburgers in the deep Isaan

Dario

I guess, many foreigners here sometimes crave for a tasty hamburger, but there is no Mcxxxxxxx anywhere around like here in northern Surin province. So what can we do?

Make one ourselves. There are lots of recipes how to make homemade hamburger buns on the Internet. Search on youtube. Then there are many videos showing how to make a delicious hamburger. Here are some pictures of my hamburger made today in the deep Isaan. I may honestly say: surely as tasty as the "real thing."

Note: green salad leaves are missing. Couldn't find any today.

post-5472-0-15552300-1412951119_thumb.jp post-5472-0-63474700-1412951172_thumb.jp post-5472-0-12262200-1412951208_thumb.jp post-5472-0-08708700-1412951340_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario
  • Like 2

In my experience the burger is the easiest part. But be careful cooking it. Don't smash the hell out of it with a flipper while it's on the griddle.

The hard part is finding a decent kaiser roll or any kind of roll that's not sweet. Next, lots of luck locating a nice beefsteak tomato. And lettuce? I suppose you could call that wilted red leaf they sell lettuce, but it lacks the satisfying CRUNCH of a chunk of iceberg. And don't even get me started on the cheese.

Good job with the burger. I love making them at home with home made Fries. Wife loves them too. Heaps of recipes on the internet, YouTube etc to give you ideas. I just miss my sliced beetroot

There's a fella here in Mahasarakham who makes really good burger patties, lean smoked bacon and even black pudding.

Smoked fish pie was his latest addition to the list.

All at a price of course, but it's good quality.

The main issue here in Mahasarakham regarding burgers is access to decent burger buns.

There is one new take away place offering 'UK Fair Ground Style Hot Dogs' last weekend as an all you can eat special. Was ok.

• 2 months later...

I'm quite happy to have a burger on toasted bread and have nice iceberg lettuce here in Big C Chaiyaphum but unable to source beetroot :-( an absolute must for an Aussie burger

The Makro here in Ubon just recently started carrying Beetroots. Maybe check your local Makro again.

There's a place in California Slaters 50/50, they use 1/2 mince Beef Uncooked of course and 1/2 Chopped up Bacon uncooked and make Patties from that, Very Good... Don't see Chili Burgers here much neither , Bun has to be toasted, add grated Cheese or chili cheese chips, also