Understanding ISP routing

yankee99

This topic was recently discussed in here in this thread:

ThaiVisa: Nectec ISP IIG Database

Started by muratremix, 2014-10-04 15:18 -- 8 replies
International Internet Gateway Exchange Routing and Peering can be like trying to understand the spaghetti bowl effect. While, supposedly, every Internet node can find a connection to any other Internet node, there are sometimes barriers and policies with which the flowing data packets must comply. Every entity that connects to the exchange agrees to allow traffic to pass, but partnerships and money have a say on whose packets get priority.

Cant read a thing from that image... All Thai providers share CATs connection and all have their own too. Some share each others.

All have very good but not equal connections to singapore and singapore has fantastic connections everywhere.

3BB in general has pretty good connections for Thailand.

Tot has good connections but often poor routing management.

True is good connections but sometimes improved and sometimes issues due to their proxies.

CAT has it all but gives(sells) it all away.

All 4 can work very well, more often than not issues are actually with local networks and overcrowding, so important to use the best for your area.

My personal experience, Cat most reliable, 3bb often great but had bad, tot often bad but had good, true had once fast but consistant issues.

TOT is the Worst routing ever.

Cat is the Best.

I wish they add he.net singapore transit to the mix and route everything via he.net and then we won't have any routing problems because he.net always chose best route to the destination and they have a global presence almost everywhere.

he.net provides 2000 usd / gigabit on singapore which is pretty cheap compared to others.

Anyone know somebody in high position to convince to buy he.net transit? :)

TOT is the Worst routing ever.

Cat is the Best.

I wish they add he.net singapore transit to the mix and route everything via he.net and then we won't have any routing problems because he.net always chose best route to the destination and they have a global presence almost everywhere.

he.net provides 2000 usd / gigabit on singapore which is pretty cheap compared to others.

Anyone know somebody in high position to convince to buy he.net transit? smile.png

He.net also have what i can only describe as piss poor power problems. At least 4 times in the past 3 years my routing has been black holed because someone forgot to put the 50p in or something.

The diagram in the link seems to be taken from a upper management presentation. It is meant to confuse and stun the audience with its complexity. Real network engineers don't really use diagrams like that in their daily work.