"Amazing" Thailand Again! Utter Disgust!

Aldebaran1981

DHL and FED X are the worst. My wife went overseas on a scholarship and sent all her used books and papers back as she was over weight by DHL and she fought with them for weeks and had to pay more than what they were worth to get them out of their customs Dept plus taxes etc.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP many of your previous posts seem to concern tax- unfortunately along with death it is simply a fact of life.

Having to pay an import duty is not exactly an horrendous scam, but I suppose all that Armani, Prada and Ralph Lauren must have added up to a fair bit?

The idea that Thailand is a land of opportunities causes much more concern.

So why didn't you stick them in the suitcase when you moved here ?

Maybe because when I first came here I did not know that I would stay here.

I am currently on an Education Visa but I have started to realize that there are so many opportunities here that I may never go back now.

I love this part...before the honeymoon is over.

I'm not married.

You'll never be chairman of the board either.

I had a used laptop computer shipped to thailand, worth barely 100$, and Thai customs said I had to pay 500baht before I could collect. what is prayuth doing about legalized robbery? Sorry it's rhetorical, I know the answer.

Well move then if you've had enough.

Oh come on. Was that really necessary?

even if my favorite brand is available here, chances are that they do not have it in 'Western' sizes.

Lay off the beers, hit the gym and lose some weight.

lol, off my feet?biggrin.png

my shoe size is 47, so not much choice for shoes and sneakers over here.

Edited by Chairman Of The Board

even if my favorite brand is available here, chances are that they do not have it in 'Western' sizes.

Lay off the beers, hit the gym and lose some weight.

lol, off my feet?biggrin.png

my shoe size is 47, so not much choice for shoes and sneakers over here.

LOL!! Ok fair enough but what do you want to see happen? It's not life saving medicine you're bringing in; they're shoes and you have to pay to import stuff into the country.

I like Nike trainers but Thailand imports the crappiest, daftest-looking styles. This means I have to import what I want at considerable expense. I don't like paying the tax but I get what I want so screw it

It is what it is.

In my previous job in Thailand my contract was mailed to me from our head office in Singapore.

I had to pay 900 baht in customs duties for 3 pieces of paper with no value.

It was out right corruption.

Well your office in Singapore must have described the contents wrongly when they sent it.

There is no tax on documents (worldwide), which is why when you send by a courier service there is a box to check on the paperwork that you have to fill out.

Someone in your Thai office should have known this.

Edited by Chairman Of The Board

"Well your office in Singapore must have described the contents wrongly when they sent it.

There is no tax on documents (worldwide), which is why when you send by a courier service there is a box to check on the paperwork that you have to fill out.

Someone in your Thai office should have known this."

Maybe you missed the bit where I said it was outright corruption : )

Pay the 900 baht or face days if not weeks of delays and hassle. Seriously, who are you going to argue the matter with?

Pay 100 baht and drive on or come to the station and we can do it there with a receipt.

Same same

"Why didn't they just e-mail it to him, print it off, sign and return"

Hey genius, give me your email and I will get our HR to contact you with a job offer :)

We get PO's and contracts every day in the mail that need to be signed and returned in original format. Its what we do in the world of business :)

• Like 1

"Why didn't they just send you another copy?"

Oh hey Mr CEO of large multinational corporation that has just offered me a job with expat package...can I get you to resign that document and send to me again because I don't want to pay 900 baht to customs...

What do you mean you dont understand what I am talking about and dont have the time? Sorry Mr CEO don't you keep up with this on Thai Visa...here's the link and please read through the threads so you can get a full understanding and never mind the board meeting today, that 900 baht is really important to me.

I look forward to a long and lucrative career with your company.

• Like 2

"Why didn't they just e-mail it to him, print it off, sign and return"

Hey genius, give me your email and I will get our HR to contact you with a job offer smile.png

We get PO's and contracts every day in the mail that need to be signed and returned in original format. Its what we do in the world of business smile.png

Alternatively, welcome to the Digital Age and the 21st century.

Yo HR pryck that has just interviewed me, get it sorted and send me an e-mail.

Sorry not a business man, just another dumb engineer schmuck.

Heres a tip, they need us more than we need them, so let Quinten or Jonathan in the HR Dept sort it.

• Like 1

"Why didn't they just send you another copy?"

Oh hey Mr CEO of large multinational corporation that has just offered me a job with expat package...can I get you to resign that document and send to me again because I don't want to pay 900 baht to customs...

What do you mean you dont understand what I am talking about and dont have the time? Sorry Mr CEO don't you keep up with this on Thai Visa...here's the link and please read through the threads so you can get a full understanding and never mind the board meeting today, that 900 baht is really important to me.

I look forward to a long and lucrative career with your company.

Hope you put the 900 baht on expenses and HR reimbursed you pronto.

Simple rule, always use a Thai name and even better to write address in thai .

Posted over 20 boxes not too long ago, all addressed to thai name and all written in thai.

Every single one arrived without a single hick up or a baht in tax.

You forgot the most important part:

Make sure you know the Thai person whose name and address you used.

• Like 1

You could just buy (cheap) new clothes? It's not like clothes are so expensive around here, are they?

While I do agree with you on this, there are cases when buying replacement clothes is not the answer.

What about brands that are not available in Thailand, I have favorite brands that I prefer to wear, even if my favorite brand is available here, chances are that they do not have it in 'Western' sizes.

When I left the West I gave away my old leather jacket but I have not been able to find a replacement that I feel comfortable with since I have been in Thailand

I would rather wear my old red tab 501s than having to break in and fade a new pair.

If it is a good and well known brand name, I am sure you can find a cheap counterfeit copy here in Thailand!

this country never fails to surprise me with its sh!t time and time again..

The long suffering ex-pat. Life must be extremely miserable and stressful for you here in Thailand.

Makes you wonder.

I start getting very stressed when stocks of the bolly, stolly and beluga start getting low and god forbid I run out of pims, what is wrong with country ?

• Like 1

this country never fails to surprise me with its sh!t time and time again..

The long suffering ex-pat. Life must be extremely miserable and stressful for you here in Thailand.

Makes you wonder.
I start getting very stressed when stocks of the bolly, stolly and beluga start getting low and god forbid I run out of pims, what is wrong with country ?

Soutpeel think you have been watching too much Ab Fab ( which is not a bad thing) and perhaps overdosed on the Pimms. Have never managed to get borage here, which is really needed for a decent Pimms No1 .

Life can be very stressful if you can't quite get the correct ingredients for your drinks.

I get stuff delivered to me a lot on my name.. never problems. Sometimes things are taxed but it is rare, usually things by DHL or FEDex are taxed and big boxes smaller ones get through easy. But you can look up all the tax-rates online.. its not a scam its not nice but its perfectly legal.

Unfortunately the days of duty free imports are gone. I used to order a lot online now I'm getting shafted on every shipment.

I had an expensive item replaced under warranty and the Customs charged me full tax and wouldn't even look at my shipping and purchase receipts.

That's after they kept it in the system for two weeks.

The customs in my opinion are the most corrupt organisation in Thailand. Even worse than the Police. I had a Thai lawyer with my one time at the customs and they bounced us from pillow to post'' for 3 hours, to get a stamp here and there. In fact we went to the same payment booths numerous times. It was just to annoy us and in the hope we gave in and paid the bribe. The lawyer was furious and gave some choice words to the custom officials. Eventually they realised we were not giving in and gave us my container. These custom officials are the scum of the earth and blatantly harass you to get a bribe, even if you have all the paper work.

If the General really wants to clean up the country I would start here then onto the Police. Get rid of them and start again. Don't accept that they are following orders. Blind Obedience is not an excuse.

Those are the rules here to call it corruption is crazy clothes are taxable.

When you import something you will have to pay, your lucky if it comes through, i have had many things slip through.

+1 those are the rules, it's not corruption.

No,

It is corruption.