"Amazing" Thailand Again! Utter Disgust!

Aldebaran1981

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the posts here but I'd like to add a comment.

I had the pleasure of teaching some government employees who work at the airport ( I won't say which area they worked in).

Anyway, I asked them about their future plans and nearly all of them said they would like to be transferred to customs. I asked why and the answer was "money."

I was also told that if I wanted anything ( I mean ANYTHING) tax free I should just tell them and they could get it for me.

Says it all really..

• Like 2

Unfortunately the days of duty free imports are gone. I used to order a lot online now I'm getting shafted on every shipment.

I had an expensive item replaced under warranty and the Customs charged me full tax and wouldn't even look at my shipping and purchase receipts.

That's after they kept it in the system for two weeks.

The customs in my opinion are the most corrupt organisation in Thailand. Even worse than the Police. I had a Thai lawyer with my one time at the customs and they bounced us from pillow to post'' for 3 hours, to get a stamp here and there. In fact we went to the same payment booths numerous times. It was just to annoy us and in the hope we gave in and paid the bribe. The lawyer was furious and gave some choice words to the custom officials. Eventually they realised we were not giving in and gave us my container. These custom officials are the scum of the earth and blatantly harass you to get a bribe, even if you have all the paper work.

If the General really wants to clean up the country I would start here then onto the Police. Get rid of them and start again. Don't accept that they are following orders. Blind Obedience is not an excuse.

The Chief of Customs is a very honest man I believe last year or the year before he was the single highest individual taxpayer in Thailand. I'll leave it up to you to do the maths.

Pardon me for asking, but who the heck has his parents send him used clothing? What's the OP, like 13?

I got my parents send me all kinds of stuff.. clothing I can buy here but its nice to have parents that care. I wish i was 13 though that would ad a few years to my life.

I haven't read all the posts here but I'd like to add a comment.

I had the pleasure of teaching some government employees who work at the airport ( I won't say which area they worked in).

Anyway, I asked them about their future plans and nearly all of them said they would like to be transferred to customs. I asked why and the answer was "money."

I was also told that if I wanted anything ( I mean ANYTHING) tax free I should just tell them and they could get it for me.

Says it all really..

Not so far from the truth.

Have a Thai friend whose daughter works in a certain area of the airport (I wont say which one).

Building up a nice supply of single malts in the house, the Thais dont appreciate what they have their hands on, they all want JW, I keep buying up the single malts.

Keep trying to bring them in lads, the last bottle of Paddy was fantastic, at a price i couldnt buy it for back home.

Simple rule, always use a Thai name and even better to write address in thai .

Posted over 20 boxes not too long ago, all addressed to thai name and all written in thai.

Every single one arrived without a single hick up or a baht in tax.

I learnt this tip the hard way too after having an iphone and a few other items go missing. I stopped using my name and either did a thai printed label or just the address with no name, since then never had an item of post go missing and never been asked for duty to be paid (plain packaged items without invoices attached etc).

Edited by B1ade

Well I have to write as I find ....so far.

I spent a long time not buying anything on line, (about 4 years) all because of the stories on TV about being held to ransom by Thai customs.

A few years ago I started to ordering things of ebay, small things to start....that has got to getting bigger thing, cost wise......and no dramas at all. OK I have had to pay at times but I think far pricing, the most I paid was 600 Baht for an motorbike part, value 4000 Baht.......