Japanese Food

ThaiPauly

I have been advised by Doctors that my Cholestorol levels are too high and I must reduce them.

They have advised that I cut Meat and Pork from my diet and eat only Chicken and Fish.

I have found these little packs of Sushi in Tesco Lotus that are really very nice and fill me up nicely at lunch time.

Is this healthy?

Many Thanks

TP

TP:

Japanese food in general is very healthy. I don't know about the little lunch packages you are speaking about, but if they are sushi to go you only need to worry about freshness.

Japanese have some of the highest numbers of longevity on the planet. If you started to visit Japanese restaurants (ZEn, Fuji), you could even branch out and start drinking green tea, and sampling a large range of food.

I swear by Japanese food and green tea.

I have been advised by Doctors that my Cholestorol levels are too high and I must reduce them.
I hope your doctor also looked at the ratio of low density lipoprotein (HDL) to high density lipoprotein (LDL) or the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL, as this is the value that really matters.

---------------

Maestro

They have advised that I cut Meat and Pork from my diet and eat only Chicken and Fish.

I have found these little packs of Sushi in Tesco Lotus that are really very nice and fill me up nicely at lunch time.

Is this healthy?

Many Thanks

TP

Did the doc analyse the different kinds of Cholestorol? Or just the total?

Because my father had an extrem high colestorol and worried, than a different doc analysed it again and find out that the dangerous cholesterol values are low so no need to worry.....

Check on that

Second high fibre products like dark bread, brown rice, also reduces Cholestorol.....

Like Kat said, I've noticed freshness always seems to be an issue with packed sushi sold in Thailand, even at shops inside supermarkets catering Japanese expats (i.e. rice too dry), but never to the point that got me sick. I would much more worry about preservatives that might be added than freshness for sushi sold at places like Lotus, unless it is prepared at where they sell it.

Not all sushi items are that healthy. I believe squid, octopus and shrimp (as well as uni = sea urchin and ikura = salmon egg, if I remember correctly) are known to have high cholesterol. Though, you probably won't find sea urchin and ikura served in packed sushi at Lotus.

Like Kat said, Japanese food are generally healthy and Japanese people are known to have highest life expectancy in the world for both men and women. There was an article in National Geographic magazine a while ago about what food nutrients and traditional diet are contributing to long life expectancy of people from certain parts of the world focusing on Sardinian, Seventh Day Adventist (of the U.S.) and Okinawan (longest life expectancy in Japan).

I've also recently read an article in Outlook (of Bangkok Post) about how Madonna keeps up her shape so fit well into her mid-40's with exercise and healthy diet in which she mentioned about macrobiotic diet deriving from Japanese tradition. Although it didn't mention which Japanese diet she relies on, I'm sure some of that includes Natto (fermented beans), Mozuku (Nemacystus decipiens = sea weed indigenous to Okinawa), Tofu and Miso. Some of these items are considered acquired taste for westerners (especially Natto and Mozuku), but you get used to it and they are readily available at supermarkets catering Japanese community in Thailand (which I believe there is one in CM too).

I wouldn't recommend Oishi, Zen and Fuji for Japanese food as they are hardly authentic and generally expensive for the quality of food served, although healthwise I can't comment. You can generally find much better Japanese food at restaurants owned by Japanese and catering mostly Japanese, for reasonable price. I have noticed quite a few Thais are starting to frequent such restaurants traditionally only serving Japanese customers, especially in upper Sukhumvit area.

Edited by Nordlys

As I understand it, it doesn't matter if you eat cholesterol or not, it's whether you eat a large quantity of saturated or trans fats, which is the fat you traditionally find in animal products or highly processed food (like packaged biscuits)

Yes, I would say Natto is certainly an acquired taste. Almost six years and Japan and I never acquired the taste. Can handle a little sushi – but find it is hard to find good (fresh) sushi in Thailand.

I am waiting for them to open Yoshinoya restaurants in Thailand.

Edited by TokyoT

Thaks for the replies.

I am glad that it would appear to be healthy. I don't have the strongest digestive system, so if I had eaten anything slightly dodgy I would know it!!!

I am also in the process of reducing my alcohol intake, which will also help get it down.

I went to the chemist to get some vitimins yesterday and also to get some tablets for my blood pressure.

Whilst I was there the Manager asked me if I wanted my blood pressure taken..I said "Why Not"..it came out high, she asked if I had been drinking coffee. To which I replied that I drink at least 3 cups in the morning before I do anything.

She said that caffine RAISES Blood Pressure significantly.....I never knew that. All the times I have been to the hospital in the morning and have had high blood pressure I NEVER KNEW that Caffine affected it, I had to find out from the local chemist!!!!!

Thanks to all

TP

a seafood or chiri nabe or a shabu shabu (all served in California fashion) are the most comforting dishes that I know....when I leave the restaurant pleasantly but not bloatingly full it's almost like a mild high on an opiate...and all I had to drink was green tea with toasted rice 'gen mai cha'. The subtle flavors and easily digestible ingredients do the trick.

I recommend gen mai cha to anyone wanting to detox from alcohol...it does the trick as an anti oxidant...used to drink loads alternating with club soda...useta be available from Foodland soi 5 loose tea in a long cylindrical gold and green packet...brew with water slightly less than boiling temp (shut off the kettle before the rumbling starts)....need a teapot

sushi is another question...a snack food without the benefit of the 'chicken soup' factor...tastes good with Kirin beer, wasabi and sliced ginger, and along with the vinegared rice maybe acidic and not good when combined with naturally occurring stomach acids...

but, who am I to advise when it comes to what makes others feel good?

when I attempted to introduce the wife to japanese nabe cuisine she looked around for the chiles then put down her chopsticks in disgust and fixed me with a scowl that said 'falang baa'...she does enjoy the odd bit of sashimi, I must admit...with lots of wasabi...

There is also very effective and inexpensive (using Thai versions) medication available for high lipid levels called Simvastatin. If your diet approach does not work ask about that - it is very widely used and considered quite safe.

For blood pressure buy yourself a meter and check when at ease. There can be a huge difference is reading from a doctors office (stress) and the normal home setting. Mine, with medication, goes from 115/70 at home to 140/80 or higher in doctors office with no stress (much higher if I were sick). So without knowing your real reading the tendency is to over medicate.

Is this healthy?

Many Thanks

TP

TP, are you eating alot of thai food? Coconut curries are very high in saturated fat. Too bad because I love a good rich coconut curry :o

The Longest Living Culture in the world is Okinawa and they attribute their longivety to their diet and healthly life style. Small island on the end of the Ryukyu chain. Check out their diet from this site, but I am sure you can find better if you google it. Okinawan Diet

The Longest Living Culture in the world is Okinawa and they attribute their longivety to their diet and healthly life style.

Not to mention the famous Ukon Tea (tumeric tea?) Okinawans regularly drink....

Anyone seen it sold in Thailand?

Like Kat said, I've noticed freshness always seems to be an issue with packed sushi sold in Thailand, even at shops inside supermarkets catering Japanese expats (i.e. rice too dry), but never to the point that got me sick. I would much more worry about preservatives that might be added than freshness for sushi sold at places like Lotus, unless it is prepared at where they sell it.

Not all sushi items are that healthy. I believe squid, octopus and shrimp (as well as uni = sea urchin and ikura = salmon egg, if I remember correctly) are known to have high cholesterol. Though, you probably won't find sea urchin and ikura served in packed sushi at Lotus.

Like Kat said, Japanese food are generally healthy and Japanese people are known to have highest life expectancy in the world for both men and women. There was an article in National Geographic magazine a while ago about what food nutrients and traditional diet are contributing to long life expectancy of people from certain parts of the world focusing on Sardinian, Seventh Day Adventist (of the U.S.) and Okinawan (longest life expectancy in Japan).

I've also recently read an article in Outlook (of Bangkok Post) about how Madonna keeps up her shape so fit well into her mid-40's with exercise and healthy diet in which she mentioned about macrobiotic diet deriving from Japanese tradition. Although it didn't mention which Japanese diet she relies on, I'm sure some of that includes Natto (fermented beans), Mozuku (Nemacystus decipiens = sea weed indigenous to Okinawa), Tofu and Miso. Some of these items are considered acquired taste for westerners (especially Natto and Mozuku), but you get used to it and they are readily available at supermarkets catering Japanese community in Thailand (which I believe there is one in CM too).

I wouldn't recommend Oishi, Zen and Fuji for Japanese food as they are hardly authentic and generally expensive for the quality of food served, although healthwise I can't comment. You can generally find much better Japanese food at restaurants owned by Japanese and catering mostly Japanese, for reasonable price. I have noticed quite a few Thais are starting to frequent such restaurants traditionally only serving Japanese customers, especially in upper Sukhumvit area.

Even better. You are even more conscientious than me. I am generally very healthy and fitness conscious, without too much fuss. So, that means while I don't cook (don't have a workable kitchen) I eat most of my meals at convienent, but commercial, Japanese chains. I think for even someone just starting to eat consciously healthy - like TP - starting at Japanese food chains is still a good start. You make also make a good comment about the high cholesterol in some sushi choices. Try to stick close to tuna and salmon. Combined with green tea, miso soup, and a lower rice intake, these foods also help you to lose weight.

I want to start becoming more discriminating about my food and diet, and veer more towards serious Japanese/macrobiotic and natural or "tea" nutrition. Can you recommend actual restaurants, Nordlys?

Thaks for the replies.

I am glad that it would appear to be healthy. I don't have the strongest digestive system, so if I had eaten anything slightly dodgy I would know it!!!

I am also in the process of reducing my alcohol intake, which will also help get it down.

I went to the chemist to get some vitimins yesterday and also to get some tablets for my blood pressure.

Whilst I was there the Manager asked me if I wanted my blood pressure taken..I said "Why Not"..it came out high, she asked if I had been drinking coffee. To which I replied that I drink at least 3 cups in the morning before I do anything.

She said that caffine RAISES Blood Pressure significantly.....I never knew that. All the times I have been to the hospital in the morning and have had high blood pressure I NEVER KNEW that Caffine affected it, I had to find out from the local chemist!!!!!

Thanks to all

TP

Good on you TP. Watching your diet, taking vitamins, and maybe adding green tea (with a lower caffine content than coffee, but much different), antioxidants such as blueberries and carrot, and eating the "good" fats such as avocado will send you well on your way to better health. In no time you could probably even start working out on a regular basis to substitute the habits you are in the process of leaving behind.

The Longest Living Culture in the world is Okinawa and they attribute their longivety to their diet and healthly life style.

Not to mention the famous Ukon Tea (tumeric tea?) Okinawans regularly drink....

Anyone seen it sold in Thailand?

Yeah, I want to learn more about this. Any thoughts? I am an avid tea drinker, especially those that have health benefits, and I also swear by tumeric.

Has anyone seen this tea (Ukon) here?

I want to start becoming more discriminating about my food and diet, and veer more towards serious Japanese/macrobiotic and natural or "tea" nutrition. Can you recommend actual restaurants, Nordlys?

Well, Kat... I'm certainly far from being very health conscious or an expert in Japanese diet... and health isn't really on my mind when eating out, so I don't know how many I know that I can recommend to you.... Also, there usually aren't any Japanese restaurants (at least in Japan) that serves everything from sushi to tempura to ramen to soba like they do at most Japanese chains catering local Thais (implies nothing they serve is good) but most Japanese restaurants in Japan (and those catering Japanese in Thailand) are usually specialized in something, i.e. a real sushi restaurants only have sushi and sashimi to serve but not much else. So I tend to avoid any Japanese restaurant with a sign that says "Japanese restaurant"....

There are, however, exceptions like Shindaikoku, Nippon-tei (both with branches at various locations in BKK) and most of the upscale Japanese restaurants in five star hotels (where prices are steep high). So if you tell me what kind of Japanese food you like, maybe I can pinpoint a kind of a restaurant you might like....

Additionally, foodstuffs like Natto and Mozuku are usually served on household dining tables and not at restaurants.... There are, however, Japanese restaurants that are serving home-style dishes and Izakaya type places (sort of like bistro, or a pub that serves foods matching sake, beer and Shochu) that serves those stuffs that I know are in Bangkok. But you might have problem ordering as the menus are usually in Japanese only and without pictures... (and often smoking ban is not strictly enforced at many of these restaurants catering Japanese!!!).

If you like raw fish, a place called Uomasa in Thonglor soi 13 (in "Japanese village") is my favorite place for sashimi (but they have little sushi selection). It's not the best sashimi you can have but I think it's hard to beat this place for the price and the volume (freshness guaranteed and quality much better than Japanese chains).

Also, I think a restaurant called "Otoya" on the 2nd floor of J Avenue (Thonglor soi 15) seems to emphasize home-style healthy food and I had an impression they are very careful in selecting good and fresh foodstuffs. They now seem to have Otoya at just about any major shopping malls like Emporium and Siam Paragon but I found the menus at those branches different from J Avenue and seems to me their menus arranged to suit the taste of local Thais (too sweet for me).

You can eat Natto and Mozuku at home. You only need rice to eat Natto with and Mozuku is ready-served (I just add sliced green onion).

Yeah, I want to learn more about this. Any thoughts? I am an avid tea drinker, especially those that have health benefits, and I also swear by tumeric.

Has anyone seen this tea (Ukon) here?

I had Ukon tea sold in PET bottle once in Japan many years ago. It was very yellowish like Chinese chrysanthemum tea but only it looked a lot murkier (like river water in LOS). Quite bitter but shouldn't be a problem if you're an avid tea drinker. I've seen a TV program many years ago in Japan that featured why Okinawans have longer life expectancy over the mainlanders (albeit being poorest prefecture in Japan) and they pointed out while there are many factors attributing to their longevity (subtropic climate and rather laid-back life style compared to mainlanders being one of them), Ukon tea Okinawans drink daily (which is relatively unfamiliar to mainland Japanese) was being cited as a large contributing factor (though, may not yet be proven scientifically and conclusively).

My family goes to Japan every once in 3 - 4 month (and myself at least once a year) and we receive guests and friends from Japan all the time, so I might order one on internet and ask someone to bring it for me from Japan which I can share with you if you like....

And for TP, I think Chinese Pu-erh tea which is readily available (albeit not necessarily cheap) at Chinese tea shops and Chinese pharmacies in China Town is known to lower blood sugar and cholesterol level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu-erh_tea

It used to be very popular in Japan a while ago among health conscious women on diet but I doubt if it can really help reduce weight. I bought mine at Chinese tea shop in Siam Discovery (with a branch in Siam Paragon). Price depends on the age of tea leaves and the older it is, better the aroma and the more expensive. In terms of health benefit, it's all the same regardless of the age, so I was told.

Edited by Nordlys

Also remember that just because a food is Japanese doesn't make it healthy. They tend to go the opposite direction from "healthy" when it comes to their pork and beef dishes, which are on the fatty side (and intended to be). "Kobe Beef" is valued for its high fat content, and the most expensive sushi is the tuna belly, which is the fattiest cut of the fish. Tenpura is not particularly healthy, nor are the fried, breaded cutlets and "croquettes" they are fond of." Their food is also extremely high in sodium (the miso, the soy sauce, the pickles, the seasoned seaweed, the Tempura sauce) and even in sugar (the sweet cooking sake used in many dishes, including the sweetened rice used for sushi).

The Okinawan diet referred to as healthy and the diet which allowed most Japanese to live so long does not largely feature what Westerners regard as signature Japanese dishes like sushi and tenpura. It is primarily seaweed, unseasoned rice, odd tasting (for the foreigner) pickles, and bits and odds and ends of fish, some of which are very far from the usual sushi fare.

"Steven"

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Just a small input on the subject of Japanese food.

I lived there for 5 years and really you have to look at what they don't eat.

Milk, chesses, meat pastes,burgers, white bread,coffe ,tea with sugar,<deleted> ect.

Processed foods,

What they the majority of Japanese have are bad teeth, poor bone structure (apparently due to eating to much fish and not enough milk).

Ijustwannateach is actually quite right in every way.... I think Japanese can live much longer if they cut back on a lot of salty stuffs they eat (and smoking). Sodium maybe in the seasoning they add to the miso soup but not in the miso itself, I believe. And I wouldn't worry much about sugar in mirin (sweet cooking sake he mentioned) and sweetened rice for sushi.

Edited by Nordlys

Is this healthy?

Many Thanks

TP

TP, are you eating alot of thai food? Coconut curries are very high in saturated fat. Too bad because I love a good rich coconut curry :D

SBK, yes I love(d) Green Curry with coconut..it was one of my favourite Thai dishes, but it's had to go.

I went out for dinner with my Wife last night, while whe was tucking into baby Back Ribs and French Fries I was eating Scallops, brown rice and green beans, while she had a Vodka and Orange I had a soda/minnow...how times have changed :D

A few weeks ago it was always the OTHER WAY ROUND :D

I am TRYING my best to get healthy, but I just keep on getting setbacks, won't bore you with them...but I still eat Thai Food, but no pork or beef (not that they eat much beef anyway).

I just had a full medical and it said I was Obease!!!. I am certainly not I only weigh 82k, but I should be around 75 for my size. I am still only a 34 inch waist. yes I am fat ,but not so much as you would say"Look at the fat bloke"..erm..maybee my freinds up here on this forum would say different :o

Anyway, I do need a PROPER DIET PLAN that excludes Pork, Meat, and Prawns, does not HAVE to be Japanese food ..I just saw it in the store and thought it looked healthy and required no effort in preporation. I am not drinking at the moment either.

So if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful... I have a visit to the UK looming in 10 days though..for a month..Mum's cooking, Indian Takeaways..arghhhhh..the temptation will overwhelm me I am sure.

What I notice about Japs is that they smoke way to much and drink an awful lot of Hennessy Brandy, if they open a bottle it has to be finished :D

Interesting that they have brittle bones as they drink no or little milk..you rarely see fat Japs...unless they are outrageously fat like Sumo Wrestlers who get fat on purpose :D

Cheers

TP

PS. Kat..thanks for the encouragement :D

I am thinking about everything I eat now

Hang in there TP, you will be rewarded. It will take about 4-6 weeks for your body to detox and for you to start noticing a more healthy gleam. But you will see it and feel it, and that will give you the motivation to continue even further. :o

Your suffering now, but soon you will learn to prefer moderation.

I am certainly not I only weigh 82k, but I should be around 75 for my size. I am still only a 34 inch waist. yes I am fat ,but not so much as you would say"Look at the fat bloke"..erm..maybee my freinds up here on this forum would say different :o

I'd kill to be 82k. I'd pay to have a 34 inch waist. :D:D

I've lost 5k in the last 2 weeks and just happy to be where I am at knowing that it is easy for me to go the opposite way. It'd probably take me 6-7 months of serious dieting and exercise to get to 82k for me.

I don't think its all gloom for you, dude.