Please, help me to make a decision for a new camera.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

I’m new on this forum and I have come to ask for your help.

I looked through some of your photographs and admired your skills and creativity.

When I was much younger, one of my hobbies was photography, but I do admit never reached the standard of some of the members.

My first serious camera was a Minolta 7000 with 3 extra lenses.

Then I got a Minolta Dynax 300si, that I still got with 35-70 zoom lenses.

After taking lots of photos that are still in albums, I got disturbed by other obligations, so I quit photography and bought a Panasonic Lumix, my first digital camera that I use occasionally, especially for family photos.

Now, after looking at all these beautiful photos of yours and also taking the advice of our fellow member, RobbyNZ, I decided to start again my old hobby.

So, I need your expert advice.

What camera shall I go for?

Looked in the internet, there are so many of them can’t make any decision.

My budget is about 15K Baht.

I understand not enough for a professional camera, but this is a new beginning for me.

I would appreciate your help and hope soon to submit my first samples for your judgment and instructions as to how to improve my techniques.

Many Thanks

Costas

Glad to hear you want to starting taking photos again, it's a very nice hobby and it makes you very happy when you succeed getting a nice photo.

I have also recently started getting more seriously with my photographing and I am glad I did.

I am not the best person here giving you advice I must admit, we got some really good photographers on the forum and some are professional I believe.

Your question is hard to answer without you giving us more info, do you want a pocket camera or a bigger one, interchange lens system? What do you prefer to shoot? Okay you mention family.

Here is a couple of links for your as a starter:

http://www.reviewgist.com/best-digital-camera-under-500

http://www.reviewgist.com/best-digital-camera-under-500

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3482790#forum-post-51404072

Personally I have found that cameras with fixed zoom lenses are good enough for me and with your budget, I will say that is way you should go too.

Sometimes you can buy very cheap if the camera hit the market in say 2012 and they have launched a newer model and they want to clear inventory of the old model.

Perhaps this one:

http://www.engadget.com/products/panasonic/lumix/dmc-lx7/

Ahh, MJP beats me to it, LOL.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions.

I looked on the internet and they sound like good cameras.

The one I'm using now is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07.

I wonder, how much different the DMC-LX7, would be.

I'm more looking into a camera that I can change lenses for a wider variety of pictures.

I know the budget I gave you is not enough, but I would prefer to wait a little longer till I gather more money and get something more professional.

But thank you very much for your effort to help me and I am open to more suggestions.

I'm more looking into a camera that I can change lenses for a wider variety of pictures.

I know the budget I gave you is not enough, but I would prefer to wait a little longer till I gather more money and get something more professional.

Now you've just opened a big old can of worms . . . smile.png

My suggestion . . for a bit less than double your original 15,000 baht budget, you could get the Sony a6000. Very nice machine!

Beyond that, as budget increases more good choices open up . . then the sky's the limit . .wink.png

• Like 1

Add 2g more (around 16,980) now and get a Canon 600D.

Oz

Now we are speaking business.

I like this camera.

I read good reviews about it.

Not too expensive, not very complicated and with the options to add more lenses in the future.

This is what I was talking about, but didn't make myself understood.

Any suggestions where is the best place to order it from?

Looked in different websites but the price looks higher than 17K

Many Thanks

Lazada is offering it for the price I mentioned, I'm sure you could hunt a little more maybe for an extra 1000 discount at tops..... also take a quick look at the 600D while your browsing... both come with a pretty average 18-55 mm lens to get you going.

Oz

• Like 1

Digital2Home, canon 600 D+kit lens 18-55 IS II (free 16GB C-4 SD card+camera bag) - baht 16,600

http://www.digital2home.com/en/view-product.php?product_id=34830

EC-Mall slightly more expensive, canon 600d with kit lens, 17,900

I usually shop at DigiLife Thailand, (website is down) slightly cheaper than EC Mall and Digital 2 Home. They sometimes match the price with others...shops at Fortune, MBK.

• Like 1

What Minolta AF lenses do you still have?

Reason I ask: they will work on Sony A-mount cameras. If you only have the 35-70mm, it probably doesn't matter, but if you have others you may want to consider the Sony a37 or a58, which should be in your price range.

Unfortunately haven't got them any more, but thanks for the tip.

Lazada is offering it for the price I mentioned, I'm sure you could hunt a little more maybe for an extra 1000 discount at tops..... also take a quick look at the 600D while your browsing... both come with a pretty average 18-55 mm lens to get you going.

Oz

Many thanks.

Next few days I will be going to KK to look at the 600D and the 700D in one of the shops in the Central Plaza.

Then I will make a decision as to which one should I buy.

Thanks for your help.

Oz

Many thanks.

Next few days I will be going to KK to look at the 600D and the 700D in one of the shops in the Central Plaza.

Thanks for your help.

Beware of Lens Buying Addiction. This could get expensive.

For the purposes of taking great photos to post on the web or do normal sized prints, I recommend the LX7.

EDIT: I wish I'd taken my own advice years ago in hindsight.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

For the purposes of taking great photos to post on the web or do normal sized prints, I recommend the LX7.

Ahhhhhh, you do remind me, spend a fortune for my 7000.

Not the actual camera but all the lenses the filters, tripod, bags etc. etc.

Still haven't been convinced that the LX7 will give me better pictures than the FX07 I've got.

But many thanks for your help.

I agree, for "normal" (whatever that is) use, a fixed lens camera are good enough for most.

Try reading the excellent forum in DP review and see how many have ditched their DSLR's for fixed lens cameras or they collect dust.

Main reason: size. The old saying goes: The camera you have with you when a good photo opportunity arises is the best.

http://www.dpreview.com/

I was on a short holiday in Bangkok not long time ago and I only bought my Sony RX100 along in a belt bag, and never left the hotel without it. I got some pretty decent shots in both day & night light.

And even a short video too in HD with it.

The low iso shots with that Sony can be printed out in poster size if needed.

I agree, for "normal" (whatever that is) use, a fixed lens camera are good enough for most.

Try reading the excellent forum in DP review and see how many have ditched their DSLR's for fixed lens cameras or they collect dust.

Main reason: size. The old saying goes: The camera you have with you when a good photo opportunity arises is the best.

http://www.dpreview.com/

I was on a short holiday in Bangkok not long time ago and I only bought my Sony RX100 along in a belt bag, and never left the hotel without it. I got some pretty decent shots in both day & night light.

And even a short video too in HD with it.

The low iso shots with that Sony can be printed out in poster size if needed.

It's the main reason I enjoy the A7r (for all it's other faults). It's so light and taking the thing out is not such an intimidating experience as even the Pentax K-3 (which isn't that big in the DSLR world).

Start carting round a load of lenses and the joy is gone. I typically use the A7r with just the Zeiss FE 55/1.8 these days. Bunch of filters and spare bats, cleaning gear, mini tripod, all fits in a Domke F-9.

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Still haven't been convinced that the LX7 will give me better pictures than the FX07 I've got.

I guess think has made me think of a question that hasn't been asked yet:

How do you intend to use the new camera? What type of photography do you think you will want to take up?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Amen to that... once you have those lenses, you're kind of hooked to the brand and they know it...lol like printer and ink cartridges....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Central Plaza in Salaya want 21900 for the 60D so I don't think you'll find a bargain.

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Amen to that... once you have those lenses, you're kind of hooked to the brand and they know it...lol like printer and ink cartridges....

Yes. But there's an option.

All but one of my lenses are Pentax-K mount and M42, but they work lovely on the Sony A7r, only manual focus though. Just waiting for an autofocus adapter for the Pentax-K to FE mount. Sunshine51 seemed to think one was coming fairly soon.

It takes a while to learn what you need. I've ended up with waaaaay too many lenses I hardly ever use. Add to that the 'lugging factor', dragging all that gear about does not make for a good day out.

• Like 1

Oz

Many thanks.

Thanks for your help.

I guess think has made me think of a question that hasn't been asked yet:

How do you intend to use the new camera? What type of photography do you think you will want to take up?

1. I like colours.

Everything with vibrant colours interests me.

Either this is a flower, a bird, a stone, a sunset, an Etan, or a display of fruits and vegetables.

2. I like to shoot faces and expressions.

Had a large collection before, not any more with me.

3. I like to shoot the details.

Lets take an example, when I am in a wat, I take a part picture of a mural or a relic I like.

4. I like shooting clouds......fascinates me the different shapes they can have.

In general I like shooting anything and everything that triggers my interest.

If you are shopping around, at least try out a Sony a6000. It will be out of your current price range, but it will give you a good idea of how current mirrorless cameras compare to DSLR's.

It's hard to find a "bad" camera these days, and even the quality of the cheap kit-lenses is decent now. So, it primarily comes down to personal preference: some like small size of mirrorless; others find the larger DSLR bodies easier to handle, etc.

The Sony NEX-6 is a good mirrorless that (at least in the US) that would sell at about the same price as a 600D. If you can find one at a reasonable price, it is worth a look.

• Like 2

If you are shopping around, at least try out a Sony a6000. It will be out of your current price range, but it will give you a good idea of how current mirrorless cameras compare to DSLR's.

It's hard to find a "bad" camera these days, and even the quality of the cheap kit-lenses is decent now. So, it primarily comes down to personal preference: some like small size of mirrorless; others find the larger DSLR bodies easier to handle, etc.

The Sony NEX-6 is a good mirrorless that (at least in the US) that would sell at about the same price as a 600D. If you can find one at a reasonable price, it is worth a look.

Definitely!

Shaggy has one. It's great!

• Like 1

I would look here and consider sensor ratings, For your price range (body only though) the Nikon D5200 scores highly.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings

I'm not persuading you to buy NIkon, but checking and comparing sensors is something I would do before purchasing.

Obviously the sensor alone isn't everything, the controls in the camera might be equally important to you.

Look at the cameras that beat the D5200 and then look at their price V's the 5200 whistling.gif I think most if not all of them are full frame.

I will third that on the a6000 and mirrorless design, decent kit.

• Like 2