You old bag!

MJP

Like women collect handbags I seem to be rather good at collecting camera bags. My latest compulsion is Domke bags. Three of them now. For occasions. Small, medium and large.

The Domke F-9. Rather good for the A7r without grip (only L-bracket fitted and FE55/1.8), 6 filter pouch, spare bats, blower, lenspen and wipes as well as the Pixi Mini tripod.

92_1.jpg

Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller. Great day bag. A7r plus seven small lenses and cleaning gear, mini tripod etc. Also attach a monopod to the outside.

82_1.jpg

Domke F7 Double AF. I'm waiting delivery but just got a black one for £60 new from Amazon. Seems they screwed up on the price, marked down from £290, should have been £195. This is for transport, two DSLR's with grips and loads of gear.

D_F-7_Sand.jpg

Can also recommend the National Geographic shoulder pad. Very good.

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 2

nice design . . like a school satchel from the olden days.

Very sturdy, but not really as practical as my Lowepro All Weather bags (which suffer only from being clinically boring).

yep, i know what you mean . . they're what i use too, a Lowepro AW (forget the model) that comes with it's own built in grey kagool ! Granted, It's saved my (gear's) bacon a few times though when the heavens have unexpectedly opened up on me whilst i've been in the middle of nowhere.

Very sturdy, but not really as practical as my Lowepro All Weather bags (which suffer only from being clinically boring).

yep, i know what you mean . . they're what i use too, a Lowepro AW (forget the model) that comes with it's own built in grey kagool ! Granted, It's saved my (gear's) bacon a few times though when the heavens have unexpectedly opened up on me whilst i've been in the middle of nowhere.

For practicality, in my opinion, nothing beats Lowepro AW series. Got a large Nova, couple of mid-sized Rezo's and a largish toploader. Tend to use for when I have gear on a dirty horrible demo site.

They've absolutely no style at all though.

You women worrying about the style of your purses. biggrin.png

I have a black leather camera bag I bought about 20 years ago when I was still shooting with a pair of Nikon F1 film camera bodies. One for slide film and one for print film. Bag still works fine.I should have a Harley patch sewn onto it. w00t.gif

• Like 2

I have a black leather camera bag I bought about 20 years ago when I was still shooting with a pair of Nikon F1 film camera bodies. One for slide film and one for print film. Bag still works fine.I should have a Harley patch sewn onto it. w00t.gif

Oh don't! You'll get me started on the ONA Brixton in antique congac leather.

brixton_leather_lifestyle3_590x420_2.jpg

• Like 1

For practicality, in my opinion, nothing beats Lowepro AW series. Got a large Nova, couple of mid-sized Rezo's and a largish toploader. Tend to use for when I have gear on a dirty horrible demo site.

They've absolutely no style at all though.

style . . . Hmmmmm . . . donuts . . doh!

If i could get hold of a brand new Billingham Hadley Original ! (see Kai Wong from DigiRev) i'd gladly donate my lifeless Lowepro AW to medical research.

Mine was a generic I bought in a leather shop on the main drag through Tijuana Mexico. That was just before ebay with all of its choices. The bag has held up wonderfully and was dirt cheap.

Much of today's leather is made in Mexico and Pakistan. I don't think any is made in the US because of the polluting chemicals. I don't know about other Western countries.

I bought a genuine Harley jacket from a Harley dealer and inside it said "made in Pakistan."

Mine was a generic I bought in a leather shop on the main drag through Tijuana Mexico. That was just before ebay with all of its choices. The bag has held up wonderfully and was dirt cheap.

Much of today's leather is made in Mexico and Pakistan. I don't think any is made in the US because of the polluting chemicals. I don't know about other Western countries.

I bought a genuine Harley jacket from a Harley dealer and inside it said "made in Pakistan."

Chlorinated solvents in groundwater is what caused a lot of tannery sites to close.

A bag is one thing I have not yet purchased. I normally wrap my camera in a towel and stick it in a rucksack. I would never do that in BKK though as I don't have eyes in the back of my head.

I have been eyeing one of these up camera quickly accessible, straps round the waist and over the shoulder can be slung front to back.

If you know of anything similar from people like Lowepro or whoever let me know please.

^^^ RW...Lowepro make "sling bags"...Google em!

I use either a Lowepro Magnum...huge jobber & a bit old at 15 years but it still works as advertised.

Or...

Back in Jakarta at a place named Proyek Senin (Monday market), which is actually a 5 floor

building, up on the 2nd floor the entire floor is packed with folks who make all sorts of custom

bags for all sorts of things, cameras being just one. I wanted a shoulder bag a bit larger than

Lowepro's Magnum so I could also carry a small video camera & laptop inside it. the shop I chose

made a very good bag, black ballistic nylon, dark grey interior, plenty of pockets, thiskly padded,

suede bottom over the nylon to protect the bottom (nice dark brown too), removable partitions,

shoulder strap similar to the Nat Geo strap on this page but of much better quality and much thicker

& wider @ 3 inches. Mil spec foam for the padding all around..etc...etc...etc. And a lovely nylon strapped

handle that goes around 2 10 inches by 1.5 inch peices of rattan so I have something to hand hold the

bag with when not on the shoulder. Name is engraved in gold thread inside the top zipped flap.

Cost? About 800K Rupiah less than the largest Lowepro Magnum. Even has a rain coat too.

Lastly....a nifty Crumpler messenger style bag that doesn't scream...Steal Me. Its more like a mid size

day bag in a messenger style bag. Ccan't put heaps into it, just a body of my choice and 2 lenses plus

flash...and it's fine for that

Then there's belt pouches...I like the Think Tank jobbers & have a mix of padded & not padded ones.

Usually I use only three on a belt when I don't wanna carry a bag of any kind; one for the 70-200 or

the 80-200 (same pouch), one for the SB910 and one actually made to hold 2 WA lenses but works

great to hold other stuff such as handphone, tin of beer Sing, wallet etc. Advice here...Unless you wanna

spend money on a Think Tank or Lowepro belt & they're expensive for what they are..save the money &

head to a Army/Navy surplus store and buy a GI web belt or the newer Tactical Duty belts...they're cheaper

that the Tanks & pro's & work just as well IMO.

For excellent shoulder straps forget NatGeo crap...because it is crap in the long run & how NG ever

let their name get on the stuff is way beyond me save for this is the 21st century & money is tight.

Go here instead...http://www.portabrace.com/products

or...for straps only, go here...

http://www.portabrace.com/products/straps-and-accessories/straps-accessories/c100-camera-shoulder-straps/232-hb-1040

The stuff is not cheap...you get what you pay for.

I've been using PortaBrace since the late 80's to protect my TV gear and have never had

any problems with their stuff at all.

Edited by sunshine51