Mai Pen Rai, a blessing or curse?

willyumiii

Mai pen rai, it does not matter...

Thailand seems to pride itself with this attitude.

But, is it good or bad for Thailand?

Some on TV have stated that the kicked back attitude of Mai Pen Rai, makes Thailand a relaxing place and makes up for the things that make it stressful.

But I often wonder how different some things in Thailand would be if more things did matter to Thai people and others who follow this philosophy.

It reminds me of the title of John Mellencamp's first album " Nothing matters, and what if it did?" Kind of Zen like huh?

And of John Lennon's line from" Strawberry fields"..." living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see"

I think the following things would be much different in Thailand if the Mai Pen Rai attitude were to disappear:

Corruption

Law Enforcement

Education

Quality of things produced

Quality of service

Traffic safety

Politics

Prostitution

Drug abuse

Pollution of the environment

There's ten to start with, can you list any others?

Ten problems to be improved on if people did care, if they did matter...but, hey! Mai Pen Rai!

Things can only change, and it will take time, if one(s) are forced to look upon things, as you described, on a different way.

Personally, like above poster stated, i dont think that the mentality will change....soon.

Pity that this topic till now does not get the responses it deserves.

Sometimes a blessing, on not important matters.Patience, politeness and giving way f.i.

A curse, on important matters.Justice honesty and truth f.i.

Edited by benalibina

One of my favorite topics over a good coffee or whisky (or both). Have had this discussion a gazillion times with Thai acquaintances and the old gf. It (obviously) doesn't have a correct answer one can isolate, but still worth thinking about. My .02 = you answered your question with the language in the subject --> it's both. Blessing and curse.

In not letting yourself get overwhelmed by issues you can't control (traffic, weather, bad day at work, etc) it's a wonderful tool. 'mai bpen rai.' Poetry in motion. :) However in areas of importance where you can exercise influence or control (in theory) -- education, research, medicine, law... 'mai bpen rai' represents a noxious ambivalence.

It all depends on how it's used, I think the culture can be sophisticated enough to contextualize it and put it aside when things 'bpen rai' - do matter.

It is a cultural thing, not that much different than "c'est la vie" (the european equivalent).

Equating it to the evils of wrongs of everything in Thai society is facetious IMHO.

but but but... thai bashing is so much fun!!!

but but but...then there is you to prove them all wrong.

It is a cultural thing, not that much different than "c'est la vie" (the european equivalent).

Equating it to the evils of wrongs of everything in Thai society is facetious IMHO.

who's them?

Edited by AYJAYDEE

It has a double edge, as others have mentioned. Unfortunately we cannot dissect a culture and remove a particular area. We (the westerners) are seeing things from a totally different viewpoint than the Thais do but when we do try to look at it from their angle, our viewpoint is automatically present.

The culture and society here is evolving, as is every other, changing with the technology and all the inferences that affect it. Having been around the world, I understand the importance of acceptance with regards to cultures. If we find one we like, then we immerse ourselves in it.

A blessing or a curse?

A gun can be a blessing or a curse, depending upon how it is used. Almost anything could be used for either good or bad or perhaps it is like the special stuff inside certain folks. Robin Williams had something that made him shine, sadly he succumbed to that very same thing.

So, perhaps the answer to the question lies with,

a strength can also be a weakness.

• Like 1

Those with no integrity use it to avoid responsibility and those with no sense of duty use it to avoid holding others to account.

It's a huge curse.

Tat strong is it not ? My initial thoughts were somewhat similar but i dismissed them. FACE is more like it to what you wrote.

who's them?

Now now an edit over 2 words...them...the bashers, in your eyes....without them, your existence on this forum would have no purpose. So be happy they are here on this forum !

It's a great topic. When I first learned of the mai pen rai attitude back in the states I wanted to live in Thailand as an idyllic place where one could do anything they wanted and no one else cared. Then over time in Thailand I learned the drawback is you are surrounded by inconsiderate people who constantly trample on people all around them. For me it's 1) noise 2) pollution 3) litter at the top of the list. It's everywhere and you can't do anything about it. Take something simple like shopping is a terrible experience with loud speakers at terrifying volumes bombarding you inside and out wherever you go. While there are a number of advantages of mai pen rai, it's turned out to be more of a curse than a blessing to me.

Those with no integrity use it to avoid responsibility and those with no sense of duty use it to avoid holding others to account.

It's a huge curse.

Tat strong is it not ? My initial thoughts were somewhat similar but i dismissed them. FACE is more like it to what you wrote.

Yes it is a bit 'strong' I admit. Maybe I should add that not all cases are as I describe and are indeed a matter of FACE. That, it could be argued, is yet another side of the 'curse'.

Now now an edit over 2 words...them...the bashers, in your eyes....without them, your existence on this forum would have no purpose. So be happy they are here on this forum !

I'm overjoyed they're here. guaranteed entertainment in every thread.

Along time ago when tv was first introduced a politician expressed his opinion and said,it is a step towards heaven and a step towards hell.

Mai pen rai is some where in that area i believe.

A bigger problem is losing face,just say mai pen rai and the issue goes away.

Mai pen rai is just a sympton,the real issue is losing face.

I think you'll find that that's the French equivalent. France isn't Europe and Europe isn't France...

Isn't the English equivalent "Who gives a F$$$"?

Just about Mr Costas. Is there a Greek version of "Who gives a f???"

Along time ago when tv was first introduced a politician expressed his opinion and said,it is a step towards heaven and a step towards hell.

Mai pen rai is some where in that area i believe.

A bigger problem is losing face,just say mai pen rai and the issue goes away.

Mai pen rai is just a sympton,the real issue is losing face.

So now it is not just Thailand, but most of asia that has "the problem" (including Japan).

• Like 1

I think you'll find that that's the French equivalent. France isn't Europe and Europe isn't France...

Isn't the English equivalent "Who gives a F$$$"?

Just about Mr Costas. Is there a Greek version of "Who gives a f???"

There is, but I don't fancy a holiday now...........

• Like 1