Have My Hands Grown in 6 months?

Briandajew

I returned to Thailand after working in China. I was doing a shop at Tesco and bought some soap, the usual brands, (Lux, Dettol or Protex - Not that Green Parrot Shit the wife seems to like) I didn't notice anything until we needed a new bar the other night.

The boxes are the same size, the price is the same but when you get the soap bar out of the box it appears to have shrunk by about 50%!

The damn things are not much bigger than the free ones from a hotel.

Looks like the usual Thai way of pretending that everything is just going on as is.

Like buying food at the foodstalls, the price goes up 5 Baht and the portions drop by 70%!

When I first came here I used a TUNA SCALE to compare things, a can of Tuna was 8 Baht, 1 pound got you (at times ) 80+ Baht, Diesel was 12 Baht. If you were a Lam Yai grower you could get 65 Baht a kilo for "A" Grade, with all of the chemicals and fertilizer free, they even sent the boys round to pick it for you

Now a kilo of Lam Yai will at best get you 19 Baht and you need to pay for everything and a litre of diesel is almost 2 kg of Lam Yai where before you could get 5 litres for 1 KG, and a can of bloody Tuna is now 35 Baht......wow how things have changed!

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 1

OP, I do agree with you.

Everything shrinks.

I was 1.82 in height when I was 35 yo........now at the age of 67 I'm about 1.80

Although, have to admit, on the other hand things do expand.

Take my beer belly for example, it turns round the corner and 2 minutes later I follow...........

Please be patient, it has just rained here and there now must be a thousand TOT "engineers" putting little pieces of tinfoil around cables trying to restore my internet connection, not easy to reply when TOT provide an ADSL over two tin cans and a piece of string!

My beer belly has expanded too over the years, but I am still worried that it might not be my hands getting bigger, as the soap is looking smaller and so is the old lad!

Maybe the belly expands with beer and reclaims "meat" from elsewhere!

Yep, prices go up here by-percentage (5-10 baht, 30-35 baht, etc), while at home things tend to appreciate by the penny. And you have to keep an eye on everything (spurious weights), including measuring up larger containers of a given product... oftentimes it'll work out more to buy one large bag compared with two small ones. blink.png

Brain ... can I call you Brian?

Lets start a process ... STOP CHANGE NOW!

Same music, same hair styles ... same fashion ... sadly ... we continue to age.

Such is life.

Your shout Wally ... drunk.gif

Some hours later ... burp.gif

Wally ... Wally ... no Wally ... no change ... the OP want's us to leave a tip.

Yep, prices go up here by-percentage (5-10 baht, 30-35 baht, etc), while at home things tend to appreciate by the penny. And you have to keep an eye on everything (spurious weights), including measuring up larger containers of a given product... oftentimes it'll work out more to buy one large bag compared with two small ones. blink.png

Yes and when you ask the shopassistent about why 2 smaller sizes are cheaper than 1 big size.....confusion all over the place....ending with a smile ofcourse...

OP, I do agree with you.

Everything shrinks.

I was 1.82 in height when I was 35 yo........now at the age of 67 I'm about 1.80

Although, have to admit, on the other hand things do expand.

Take my beer belly for example, it turns round the corner and 2 minutes later I follow...........

Are you measuring the flaccid penis or the errect one? Secondly, was that 1.82 inches or Centimetres ?

I'm also a bit confused about where you explain that it expands in the 'other hand'. What's with that?

Edited by neverdie

I think the OP is one of those sad people who keep the small pieces of soap when they are too small to use and stick them together to make a free bar of soap.

As I suspect you completely missed the entire point, Thais are constantly being told how the government are controlling inflation and keeping prices in order. If you actually tried to get your head around what I was actually saying, you would have seen that despite the bullshit from every continual government here, the poor people are getting screwed, mainly the farmers. Their purchasing power in relation to the work they do has been destroyed. But what the hell! Mama will still be controlled at about 5-10 Baht, the food of the poor working people.

Can you not really grasp the fact that despite the liars in government trying to tell everyone that the main provisions are kept affordable to the masses that the reality is, inflation here is totally out of control for the average farmer (or 75% of the population) The Diesel / Lam Yai price reversal should have given you a clue, the soap was a bit too sarcastic maybe.

I think the OP is one of those sad people who keep the small pieces of soap when they are too small to use and stick them together to make a free bar of soap.

As I suspect you completely missed the entire point, Thais are constantly being told how the government are controlling inflation and keeping prices in order. If you actually tried to get your head around what I was actually saying, you would have seen that despite the bullshit from every continual government here, the poor people are getting screwed, mainly the farmers. Their purchasing power in relation to the work they do has been destroyed. But what the hell! Mama will still be controlled at about 5-10 Baht, the food of the poor working people.

Can you not really grasp the fact that despite the liars in government trying to tell everyone that the main provisions are kept affordable to the masses that the reality is, inflation here is totally out of control for the average farmer (or 75% of the population) The Diesel / Lam Yai price reversal should have given you a clue, the soap was a bit too sarcastic maybe.

Well I can't think of one single Country in the World where the poor and downtrodden are admired but someone said to me once God must love poor people otherwise why would he have made so many of them?

• Like 1

So it is just another thinly disguised kick at Govt.

Sure inflation happens we all know that and I don't like having to pay more for things either but if you shop wisely, fresh markets for instance instead of supermarkets, you can still find good prices, for many people take their own produce to sell and they don't have the same overheads as the big stores.

Brain ... can I call you Brian?

Lets start a process ... STOP CHANGE NOW!

Same music, same hair styles ... same fashion ... sadly ... we continue to age.

Such is life.

Your shout Wally ... drunk.gif

Some hours later ... burp.gif

Wally ... Wally ... no Wally ... no change ... the OP want's us to leave a tip.

Are you posting on the same thread? Because you lost me mate, I would like a pint of what you are on!

• Like 1

Tuna is now 38 baht. O.o

Shop around mate, shop around! 32 Baht is still achievable. I know it seems a minor point but if you are being paid 250-300 Baht a day, 2 or 3 Baht makes a big difference, it is easy for some foreigners to sit there and Poo Poo 1 or 2 Baht here or there, but if you live on an extremely limited income it can make a hell of a difference.

• Like 1

Sure inflation happens we all know that and I don't like having to pay more for things either but if you shop wisely, fresh markets for instance instead of supermarkets, you can still find good prices, for many people take their own produce to sell and they don't have the same overheads as the big stores.

Again you are another one that seems to miss the point, This is NOT the Government, this is an unelected military Junta that ousted a fairly elected government, so it really is not the same thing. At the end of the day if Thailand wants to be in the free market and trade internationally then these people cannot make some sort of false reality, market forces will overcome unless they keep fixing prices and manipulating everything. It may take 5 years, but balances will come into play. Look at their handling of the two Brits that were murdered, look at it! They seem to think that this is the acceptable way to behave, can you imagine this in an international scenario? They look exactly like the idiots that they are. They are a failed country. WHEN the tourists leave, when the Japanese leave, they will have diddly shit!

Edited by Briandajew

Again you are another one that seems to miss the point, This is NOT the Government, this is an unelected military Junta that ousted a fairly elected government, so it really is not the same thing.
Is inflation new?

I think it was you that called them "liars in government",which I had interpreted as a condemnation across the spectrum

SC

We all know that generally inflation causes a price rise, what I am on about is how the govt. control their "shopping basket" to try and tell Thais that the prices are under control, they are not! Market forces will determine the end price, whether today or in 5 years time, it will equalize.

Maybe the OP should try liquid soap? On second thoughts he may claim it has been watered down.

The soap will only be watered down as much as the Junta demand! But I guess you will be happy with that. You will probably be happy washing yourself in dog piss as long as your masters tell you it is Palmolive!

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 1

Maybe the OP should try liquid soap? On second thoughts he may claim it has been watered down.

The soap will only be watered down as much as the Junta demand! But I guess you will be happy with that. You will probably be happy washing yourself in dog piss as long as your masters tell you it is Palmolive!

I seriously don't believe that soap is on the Governments list of priorities.

The price of soap is governed by free market economics nothing more nothing less.