Kanchanaburi Trip

macknife

A friend of mine has bought a new Yamaha R15 and wants to go on a ride out. We plan to go to Kanachanaburi and spend the night, before heading out in the morning(ish) and hopefully hitting some twisties and take in a few sights. We'll spend the night in Kanchanaburi again before heading back to Bangkok.

Can anyone suggest a good route and some sights that are worth stopping to look at? Bear in mind we won't be going that fast so 4-500km trip is probably out of the question as we want to stop and take in the scenery as well. There's some kind of loop there right? Also will any roads be inaccessible due to the rainy season etc?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best is sisawat route for curves, scenery and it is only 250 km round from kanchanaburi.

There is a ferry crossing the dam lake and after the ferry and some ride, you end up in a nice area by the dam lake.

Best is sisawat route for curves, scenery and it is only 250 km round from kanchanaburi.

There is a ferry crossing the dam lake and after the ferry and some ride, you end up in a nice area by the dam lake.

What route is that exactly? A google map would be great or the road numbers is fine.

Cannot share the map through android gmaps!!! Gmaps is starting to suck really nowadays!

From kanchanaburi: 3199 - 4041 - 3480 - local road 6030 or normal road 3086. This way you draw a circle and dont pass from the same roafs.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Are you being anti-social Macknife? Why not make it a group ride for other members as well? You can state your criteria and conditions for anyone wishing to join, for example:

- helmet - only full face or modular accepted

- jacket - minimum mesh / textile with shoulder / elbow protectors

- pants - no shorts; minimum jeans with knee protectors

- boots - minimum sneakers - no flip flops allowed

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- speed - cruising 120 kph

- racing - not permitted

- overtaking - only when save to do so, no undertaking, keep distance of min 6 feet when overtaking

- stops - 15 mins every hour

- pillion - as you wish

- top box - allowed as overnighter

- etc etc

Then it's up to other members if they can abide and would like to join :)

• Like 1

- bike - min 250 cc smile.png

Isn't the Yamaha R15 only 150 cc?

BTW, Pong Pen guesthouse is recommended in Kanchanaburi.

I have no idea (I know very little about bikes, other than the fact that I like to ride them). I've been thinking of getting some Pirelliis on my PCX and taking it for a spirited ride. Does anybody know if Pirelli Thailand stocks tyres for scooters (I know, I can call them them to ask, just being lazy that's all). I'm still on my stock tyres after almost 10k kms so I think it's about time to change.

• Like 1

Thanks ll2 I'll give that route a go. Are there any waterfalls etc worth stopping for on that route?

Yes the Yamaha R15 is a 150cc

Thanks H1w4yR1da I'll check that place out.

I'm sorry we are not looking for other people to join us this time. It's his first time out on a long ride in Thailand and he's braking the bike in, so it will be very a leisurely pace. Besides he's a miserable git and doesn't like other people. wai2.gif

He's used to a GSXR 750 back home so being on a 150cc he's bound to be even more miserable than usual.

• Like 1

Are you being anti-social Macknife? Why not make it a group ride for other members as well? You can state your criteria and conditions for anyone wishing to join, for example:

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- overtaking - only when save to do so, no undertaking, keep distance of min 6 feet when overtaking

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

Then it's up to other members if they can abide and would like to join :)

Sounds like a select group ;)

• Like 1

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

Then it's up to other members if they can abide and would like to join smile.png

what is your reason to exclude open face helmets ?

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

Then it's up to other members if they can abide and would like to join smile.png

No reason to intrude on Macknife's trip. I would be interested in joining/organizing a ride from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and back with at least 1, maybe 2, overnights, one in Kan city. The trip would be focused on seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride, and not speed, so cruising b/t 80 and 100 kph. Would plan to spend some time running around Kanchanaburi and maybe taking in Erawan Falls for a few hours. The following criteria would apply and be strictly enforced:

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- boots - bare feet minimum

- gloves - must wear if you want to

- bike - required; must have a motor, no bicycles allowed

- speed - cruising (see above); no one will be hounded or pressured. If someone cannot keep up with the agreed average cruising speed (assume 90 kph), you will just fall away and can meet us at the next stop (assuming that you can find it/us).

- racing - not permitted

- overtaking - only when safe to do so, advance written approval required; no undertaking (that is what the coroner is for), always keep a safe distance

- stops - frequent, but not too frequent; to be discussed and agreed

- pillion - maximum 2

- top box - allowed, but counts 1 of the pillion passengers

- etc. - no alcohol (none) until the ride is completed for the day, then required

- etc. - rear lights (including brake/directional lights) confirmed to be working before joining the ride; use of directionals required.

Once the route is agreed, people can join the ride any where along the route and depart as they desire. If a intermediate meeting place and time is agreed, we would wait until the agreed time, call if a number has been given, but then travel on. If the ride is 1 night, starting on the 1st of Nov. is good, but is flexible (at least for me). If 2 nights, the 31st is good. I would propose 1 night, unless several interested persons want to make it 2 nights. Dates can be adjusted to suit, but not beyond 15th Nov. We would probably leave Pattaya around 8:30 from an agreed location. We could head north to Khao Yai and then over to Kan if people want, but that might require 2 nights away. Or, we could go south of BKK, or these could be combined, out and back. Through Bangkok city is not an option.

If anyone is interested in joining, you can respond or PM me, and we will go from there. I think that around 6 - 8 full circuit riders would be an ideal group.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 2

Jeez! Ridiculous question! Are you wantan in disguise?

Have you every ridden at speed especially on the highways in the provinces wearing an open-face helmet?

My visor on my full-face Arai is often covered in bug guts and the occasional small stone strike marks after a long ride. Hate to think what that crap would do to an unprotected face.

I'm guessing you're just pottering along on a scooter, correct?

Jeez! Ridiculous question! Are you wantan in disguise?

Have you every ridden at speed especially on the highways in the provinces wearing an open-face helmet?

My visor on my full-face Arai is often covered in bug guts and the occasional small stone strike marks after a long ride. Hate to think what that crap would do to an unprotected face.

I'm guessing you're just pottering along on a scooter, correct?

The question is not should you (or should you not) wear a full-face helmet. The question is why should the organizer of the ride require everyone to wear full-faced helmets (i.e., exclude someone from joining the ride that chooses to wear an open-faced helmet. I wear a full-face helmet on long rides, but my helmet for normal riding is not full-faced, but it still has a visor that covers 3/4ths of my face and protects my eyes and almost all of my face from bugs and stones. You don't need to wear a full-faced helmet for the helmet to have a visor and to get protection from bugs and stones, and why the hell would the ride organizer care anyway. It's your face. Jeez, you really are confused.

Not confused. Just stupified. Protection from bugs and stones is just a part of it. What about hitting the tarmac chin first wearing an open face? Forget about it! !

And yes, I agree one should be telling other riders what to wear. But that doesn't mean we can't comment on it.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

No reason to intrude on Macknife's trip. I would be interested in joining/organizing a ride from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and back with at least 1, maybe 2, overnights, one in Kan city. The trip would be focused on seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride, and not speed, so cruising b/t 80 and 100 kph. Would plan to spend some time running around Kanchanaburi and maybe taking in Erawan Falls for a few hours. The following criteria would apply and be strictly enforced:

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- speed - cruising (see above); no one will be hounded or pressured. If someone cannot keep up with the agreed average cruising speed (assume 90 kph), you will just fall away and can meet us at the next stop (assuming that you can find it/us).

- racing - not permitted

- overtaking - only when safe to do so, advance written approval required; no undertaking (that is what the coroner is for), always keep a safe distance

- pillion - maximum 2

- etc. - no alcohol (none) until the ride is completed for the day, then required

- etc. - rear lights (including brake/directional lights) confirmed to be working before joining the ride; use of directionals required.

Once the route is agreed, people can join the ride any where along the route and depart as they desire. If a intermediate meeting place and time is agreed, we would wait until the agreed time, call if a number has been given, but then travel on. If the ride is 1 night, starting on the 1st of Nov. is good, but is flexible (at least for me). If 2 nights, the 31st is good. I would propose 1 night, unless several interested persons want to make it 2 nights. Dates can be adjusted to suit, but not beyond 15th Nov. We would probably leave Pattaya around 8:30 from an agreed location. We could head north to Khao Yai and then over to Kan if people want, but that might require 2 nights away. Or, we could go south of BKK, or these could be combined, out and back. Through Bangkok city is not an option.

If anyone is interested in joining, you can respond or PM me, and we will go from there. I think that around 6 - 8 full circuit riders would be an ideal group.

No overtaking?

Than my honda wave. Can keep up with it under these circumstances!

That many rules and regulations, even police dont enforce that many!

Too many rules kill the freedom of motorcycling for me.

But yes. Full face and other proper gear at least a jacket, boots and gloves can br mandatory.

Edited by ll2

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

I'm not excluding anything. I'm just putting up a list of examples for Macknife.

In any case, I doubt any one riding a 250 cc and above would go on a long road ride wearing an open face

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

To remove squids and non related people from the rides!

Not confused. Just stupified. Protection from bugs and stones is just a part of it. What about hitting the tarmac chin first wearing an open face? Forget about it! !

And yes, I agree one should be telling other riders what to wear. But that doesn't mean we can't comment on it.

Comment to your heart's content. But make your comment fit the post on which you are trying (rather badly in this case) to comment. Protection from bugs and stones is not any part of it, but nit was all that you chose to mention. You can get the same protection from an open faced helmet with a visor. Added protection is an obvious benefit of a full-faced helmet, as you correctly note. But to me, they are hot and uncomfortable, so it is a balancing act -- each rider will choose as he/she sees best for them. I only wear a full-faced helmet when I think the conditions justify the added protection and added discomfort. And I really don't care if you agree or disagree.

But pokerkid asked "what is your reason to exclude open face helmets?" He didn't ask "why should a rider wear a full-faced helmet?" or "what are the benefits of wearing a full-faced helmet?" He asked why the ride organizer would make this a condition to join the ride. And you jump down his throat, yelling "Jeez! Ridiculous question!" It was ridiculous only because you did not understand it, and chose to comment on a question not asked. That, IMO, is ridiculous.

The requirements set by the ride organizer, IMO, should be designed to ensure the safety and enjoyment of the people joining the group. A rider's chosen gear will in almost all cases be his choice as to his protection and have little to no effect on the group -- so, "up to him". Most bike riders value freedom and independence, and not being forced in a mold -- not sure what happened to you. God, I can only imagine what your nonsense comment will be to this post -- hopefully you won't make one or at least, if you do, you will think for a moment before you do. wai2.gif

• Like 1

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - maximum 2

No overtaking?

But yes. Full face and other proper gear at least a jacket, boots and gloves can br mandatory.

Is your post serious???? Did you read my rules/criteria?????? They were ALL (except for the "no alcohol" and "working rear lights" a joke! You have to wear a helmet and pants, THAT'S IT!! Loosen up and get a life!

• Like 2

On a group ride, you're responsible for others, and they're responsible for you- that means if you crash, you become, in essence, my only priority- I will patch you up as much as possible, and I will get help and transportation to a hospital if necessary (I will also take care of your bike, but that's secondary).

That probably seems obvious (as it should)- however, you also have the responsibility to protect yourself as much as possible- that means not riding like a moron, and wearing proper gear (which I consider to include a certified full-face helmet). The worse you get hurt, the worse it will be for me- if you're not willing to take every possible precaution as far as gear is concerned, then I don't want to ride with you (though I'll still help out if you need assistance and I encounter you on the road- that's part of being a good rider).

You can expect me to do everything I can to avoid burdening you with having to assist me (though of course that might still happen, but it won't be because of lack of preparation)- I expect the same from you if we're riding together.

Riding a motorcycle is a huge amount of fun, but it has to be taken seriously as far as safety is concerned. It's because of disagreement and contention about what's necessary that I tend to avoid group rides.

Very good post. I don't agree with some of your points, but your post is well thought out and well articulated. As far as what you say, the major factor in the potential "burden/liability" that a rider in a group adds is his/her skill and ability as a rider of a motorcycle. But because that is difficult or impossible to measure in the "broad public invitation" forum, people choose to impose conditions like "full-face helmets" and "gloves", etc., which have a marginal impact at best (feel free to disagree with that) on the group's safety or the enjoyment of the ride. The best way, I think, to make an open ride safe and hazard free is to keep it slow, make sure that no one is fatigued, and keep off of the highways. Long, faster rides are better done with riders that you know and have confidence in their skills or done solo. I just did Phuket to Pattaya in 2 days solo, and I loved it. But it certainly was not a ride that I would have considered doing in a group, even a small one with good equipment.

And any rider down will get my help and support to the best I am able. Riding in a group really doesn't add to or detract from that feeling of responsibility or obligation. I hope that we all ride safely and wisely, and that benefits all of us.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

- gloves - must wear

- bike - min 250 cc

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - as you wish

- etc etc

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- racing - not permitted

- pillion - maximum 2

No overtaking?

Is your post serious???? Did you read my rules/criteria?????? They were ALL (except for the "no alcohol" and "working rear lights" a joke! You have to wear a helmet and pants, THAT'S IT!! Loosen up and get a life!

how we know they are a joke?

believe me you dont have any sense of humor as a good joke does not need to be reminded as 'hey, it was a joke!'

only bad ones or the stingy ones or the ones for pissing people off.

who the f you are telling me to get a life? someone with no life?

Edited by ll2

On a group ride, you're responsible for others, and they're responsible for you- that means if you crash, you become, in essence, my only priority- I will patch you up as much as possible, and I will get help and transportation to a hospital if necessary (I will also take care of your bike, but that's secondary).

That probably seems obvious (as it should)- however, you also have the responsibility to protect yourself as much as possible- that means not riding like a moron, and wearing proper gear (which I consider to include a certified full-face helmet). The worse you get hurt, the worse it will be for me- if you're not willing to take every possible precaution as far as gear is concerned, then I don't want to ride with you (though I'll still help out if you need assistance and I encounter you on the road- that's part of being a good rider).

You can expect me to do everything I can to avoid burdening you with having to assist me (though of course that might still happen, but it won't be because of lack of preparation)- I expect the same from you if we're riding together.

Riding a motorcycle is a huge amount of fun, but it has to be taken seriously as far as safety is concerned. It's because of disagreement and contention about what's necessary that I tend to avoid group rides.

Very good post. I don't agree with some of your points, but your post is well thought out and well articulated. As far as what you say, the major factor in the potential "burden/liability" that a rider in a group adds is his/her skill and ability as a rider of a motorcycle. But because that is difficult or impossible in the "broad public invitation" forum, people choose to impose conditions like "full-face helmets" and "gloves", etc., which have a marginal impact at best (feel free to disagree with that) on the group's safety or the enjoyment of the ride. The best way, I think, to make an open ride safe and hazard free is to keep it slow, make sure that no one is fatigued, and keep off of the highways. Long, faster rides are better done with riders that you know and have confidence in their skills or done solo. I just did Phuket to Pattaya in 2 days solo, and I loved it. But it certainly was not a ride that I would have considered doing in a group, even a small one with good equipment.

And any rider down will get my help and support to the best I am able. Riding in a group really doesn't add to or detract from that feeling of responsibility or obligation. I hope that we all ride safely and wisely.

The whole point of a 'group' is shared experience, and- by extension- responsibility.

A small spill that a properly-geared rider would shake off and continue on from (provided the bike is still capable) can become a ride altering or ending situation for the group. Setting speed or distance limits might make that scenario less likely, but so will top-notch gear. If you feel it's acceptable to impose any type of limit as far as riding style goes, then the organizer of a ride can impose rules regarding gear, regardless of the forum from which it's proposed.

Gear is never 'marginal'- it's either needed or it's not, and if it's needed it should be the best available. It's not about 'group safety'- it's about your safety and its effect on the group.

If you're not going to take every precaution, you're a potential liability, and that's something a group ride can do without as there is enough risk for skilled, fully-geared riders without possibly adding to my it.

If the group wants to relax the gear rules, that's fine, but the organizer can set the criteria, and riders can join or not as they see fit.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1