Kanchanaburi Trip

macknife

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comment to your heart's content. But make your comment fit the post on which you are trying (rather badly in this case) to comment. Protection from bugs and stones is not any part of it, but nit was all that you chose to mention. You can get the same protection from an open faced helmet with a visor. Added protection is an obvious benefit of a full-faced helmet, as you correctly note. But to me, they are hot and uncomfortable, so it is a balancing act -- each rider will choose as he/she sees best for them. I only wear a full-faced helmet when I think the conditions justify the added protection and added discomfort. And I really don't care if you agree or disagree.

But pokerkid asked "what is your reason to exclude open face helmets?" He didn't ask "why should a rider wear a full-faced helmet?" or "what are the benefits of wearing a full-faced helmet?" He asked why the ride organizer would make this a condition to join the ride. And you jump down his throat, yelling "Jeez! Ridiculous question!" It was ridiculous only because you did not understand it, and chose to comment on a question not asked. That, IMO, is ridiculous.

The requirements set by the ride organizer, IMO, should be designed to ensure the safety and enjoyment of the people joining the group. A rider's chosen gear will in almost all cases be his choice as to his protection and have little to no effect on the group -- so, "up to him". Most bike riders value freedom and independence, and not being forced in a mold -- not sure what happened to you. God, I can only imagine what your nonsense comment will be to this post -- hopefully you won't make one or at least, if you do, you will think for a moment before you do. wai2.gif

The ridiculous pokerkid asked " what is your reason to exclude open face helmets?"

I then listed a few reasons why open face helmets should be excluded. Comparing their protection, or lack thereof, to own face is just an extension of the argument. You think I didn't understand the question. I think I did. But we can go around in circles forever.

"He asked why the ride organizer would make this a condition to join the ride." Well maybe because the ride organiser thinks they're only good for riding up to 7-11 and as I said, unsuitable for any serious riding but you can go off on some pedantic tangent about the actual meaning of the question if you like.

As to your point that " You can get the same protection (from bugs and stones) from an open faced helmet with a visor." Sorry that's a load of crap and just proves you have no idea of what you're talking about.

I've even had stones kicked up by vehicles in front that have hit my neck below my full-face helmet. With an openface, who knows where they'd hit? That's just so ignorant.

You tend to not wear full face because they're "hot and uncomfortable" so maybe biking in Thailand is not for you unless it's a short scooter run.

Now you can potter around with your openface helmet thinking all's fine and dandy but I tend to disagree. Whether you care or not, I am allowed to disagree. This is a forum after all.

You said you're "not sure what happened to me"? Well what happened was that I've seen the results of bike accidents so I'm just ATGATT type guy. If you disagree or if that offends your sensibilities, I don't really give a toss. That's just me and of course I'm not going to tell others what to wear but I'll still have an opinion. Your posts somehow remind me of a previous poster (currentky residing in the 'where are they now?' column) called andre_andre who also had a problem with full gear.

• Like 2

how we know they are a joke?

believe me you dont have any sense of humor as a good joke does not need to be reminded as 'hey, it was a joke!'

only bad ones or the stingy ones or the ones for pissing people off.

who the f you are telling me to get a life? someone with no life?

Here are the first few "criteria/rules" that I included in my post:

"The following criteria would apply and be strictly enforced:

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- boots - bare feet minimum

- gloves - must wear if you want to

- bike - required; must have a motor, no bicycles allowed ..............."

Your so very right and observant. How would any one know that these are meant to be a joke or, more to the point, meant to suggest that anyone riding anything that can keep up with 90 kph would be welcome to join the ride. Sorry I pissed you off. Next time, when I attempt a bit of humor, I'll insert "[this is a JOKE]" in square brackets just for the slow readers/thinkers.

Oscar wilde once famously said that irony is wasted on the stupid

Well, given the earlier post by Gweiloman, I thought it was kind of funny anyway. So, Oscar Wilde knew II2 and H1w4yR1da -- that's really interesting!

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 2

Oscar wilde once famously said that irony is wasted on the stupid

So, Oscar Wilde knew II2 and H1w4yR1da -- that's really interesting!

Well, pokerkid and you were obvious aquaintances of Jean Paul Satre as he once said 'Hell is other people".

See we can both play that game. :)

Anyway, open question to pokerkid and Thailaw. As you both seem to be quite fond of openface helmets, what are you riding?

What the ..... I've been away for 5 minutes and all Hell breaks loose. lol This is why I love this forum sometimes.

For a start I gave no criteria for this ride as it's a closed group, ie my friend and I. Yes we will be wearing gear including full faced helmets. smile.png

Any sights worth seeing there? (on the route posted on page 1)

• Like 2

Don't worry! The main criteria of most good jokes is that they should be humorous. Thailaw's 'joke' post was puerile to say the least and a rather pathetic attempt to score points at the expense of an earlier post.
  • Like 1

What the ..... I've been away for 5 minutes and all Hell breaks loose. lol This is why I love this forum sometimes.

For a start I gave no criteria for this ride as it's a closed group, ie my friend and I. Yes we will be wearing gear including full faced helmets. smile.png

Maybe away from the route you posted but if you have tine, you can try the route to Sisawat which is rather technical so use caution. Vajiralongkorn dam is a decent ride, not too far. There's the nearby Tiger Temple (opinions are divided on whether its a tiger sanctuary or a tourist trap) or if you have time for a longer ride, try riding to the historic 3 Pagodas Pass at the Burmese border. Long ride but well worth it. Google Maps is your friend here.

Now I wonder whether pokerkid and Thailaw want to return to the thread and post some suggestions on the ride.

Ones that don't include ridiculous questions on helmets or just attacking others.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

No reason to intrude on Macknife's trip. I would be interested in joining/organizing a ride from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi and back with at least 1, maybe 2, overnights, one in Kan city. The trip would be focused on seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride, and not speed, so cruising b/t 80 and 100 kph. Would plan to spend some time running around Kanchanaburi and maybe taking in Erawan Falls for a few hours. The following criteria would apply and be strictly enforced:

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- bike - required; must have a motor, no bicycles allowed

- speed - cruising (see above); no one will be hounded or pressured. If someone cannot keep up with the agreed average cruising speed (assume 90 kph), you will just fall away and can meet us at the next stop (assuming that you can find it/us).

- racing - not permitted

- overtaking - only when safe to do so, advance written approval required; no undertaking (that is what the coroner is for), always keep a safe distance

- stops - frequent, but not too frequent; to be discussed and agreed

- pillion - maximum 2

- top box - allowed, but counts 1 of the pillion passengers

- etc. - no alcohol (none) until the ride is completed for the day, then required

- etc. - rear lights (including brake/directional lights) confirmed to be working before joining the ride; use of directionals required.

Once the route is agreed, people can join the ride any where along the route and depart as they desire. If a intermediate meeting place and time is agreed, we would wait until the agreed time, call if a number has been given, but then travel on. If the ride is 1 night, starting on the 1st of Nov. is good, but is flexible (at least for me). If 2 nights, the 31st is good. I would propose 1 night, unless several interested persons want to make it 2 nights. Dates can be adjusted to suit, but not beyond 15th Nov. We would probably leave Pattaya around 8:30 from an agreed location. We could head north to Khao Yai and then over to Kan if people want, but that might require 2 nights away. Or, we could go south of BKK, or these could be combined, out and back. Through Bangkok city is not an option.

If anyone is interested in joining, you can respond or PM me, and we will go from there. I think that around 6 - 8 full circuit riders would be an ideal group.

No overtaking?

Than my honda wave. Can keep up with it under these circumstances!

That many rules and regulations, even police dont enforce that many!

Too many rules kill the freedom of motorcycling for me.

But yes. Full face and other proper gear at least a jacket, boots and gloves can br mandatory.

Is your post serious???? Did you read my rules/criteria?????? They were ALL (except for the "no alcohol" and "working rear lights" a joke! You have to wear a helmet and pants, THAT'S IT!! Loosen up and get a life!

believe me you dont have any sense of humor as a good joke does not need to be reminded as 'hey, it was a joke!'

only bad ones or the stingy ones or the ones for pissing people off.

who the f you are telling me to get a life? someone with no life?

Here are the first few "criteria/rules" that I included in my post:

"The following criteria would apply and be strictly enforced:

- helmet - required

- jacket - optional

- pants - required

- bike - required; must have a motor, no bicycles allowed ..............."

Your so very right and observant. How would any one know that these are meant to be a joke or, more to the point, meant to suggest that anyone riding anything that can keep up with 90 kph would be welcome to join the ride. Sorry I pissed you off. Next time, when I attempt a bit of humor, I'll insert "[this is a JOKE]" in square brackets just for the slow readers/thinkers.

Sorry if i offended you as well.

But just i believe, there is no room for jokes on these kind of things.

And i still believe it is not just a joke. Otherwise we need to laugh but we did not!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Comment to your heart's content. But make your comment fit the post on which you are trying (rather badly in this case) to comment. Protection from bugs and stones is not any part of it, but nit was all that you chose to mention. You can get the same protection from an open faced helmet with a visor. Added protection is an obvious benefit of a full-faced helmet, as you correctly note. But to me, they are hot and uncomfortable, so it is a balancing act -- each rider will choose as he/she sees best for them. I only wear a full-faced helmet when I think the conditions justify the added protection and added discomfort. And I really don't care if you agree or disagree.

But pokerkid asked "what is your reason to exclude open face helmets?" He didn't ask "why should a rider wear a full-faced helmet?" or "what are the benefits of wearing a full-faced helmet?" He asked why the ride organizer would make this a condition to join the ride. And you jump down his throat, yelling "Jeez! Ridiculous question!" It was ridiculous only because you did not understand it, and chose to comment on a question not asked. That, IMO, is ridiculous.

The requirements set by the ride organizer, IMO, should be designed to ensure the safety and enjoyment of the people joining the group. A rider's chosen gear will in almost all cases be his choice as to his protection and have little to no effect on the group -- so, "up to him". Most bike riders value freedom and independence, and not being forced in a mold -- not sure what happened to you. God, I can only imagine what your nonsense comment will be to this post -- hopefully you won't make one or at least, if you do, you will think for a moment before you do. wai2.gif

The ridiculous pokerkid asked " what is your reason to exclude open face helmets?"

I then listed a few reasons why open face helmets should be excluded. Comparing their protection, or lack thereof, to own face is just an extension of the argument. You think I didn't understand the question. I think I did. But we can go around in circles forever.

"He asked why the ride organizer would make this a condition to join the ride." Well maybe because the ride organiser thinks they're only good for riding up to 7-11 and as I said, unsuitable for any serious riding but you can go off on some pedantic tangent about the actual meaning of the question if you like.

As to your point that " You can get the same protection (from bugs and stones) from an open faced helmet with a visor." Sorry that's a load of crap and just proves you have no idea of what you're talking about.

I've even had stones kicked up by vehicles in front that have hit my neck below my full-face helmet. With an openface, who knows where they'd hit? That's just so ignorant.

You tend to not wear full face because they're "hot and uncomfortable" so maybe biking in Thailand is not for you unless it's a short scooter run.

Now you can potter around with your openface helmet thinking all's fine and dandy but I tend to disagree. Whether you care or not, I am allowed to disagree. This is a forum after all.

You said you're "not sure what happened to me"? Well what happened was that I've seen the results of bike accidents so I'm just ATGATT type guy. If you disagree or if that offends your sensibilities, I don't really give a toss. That's just me and of course I'm not going to tell others what to wear but I'll still have an opinion. Your posts somehow remind me of a previous poster (currentky residing in the 'where are they now?' column) called andre_andre who also had a problem with full gear.

I have no problem with "full gear' for those that want to wear it. Riding a motorcycle provides less protection and has more risk that riding a car, with or without "full gear". So, by riding a motorcycle, you have already accepted riding in a less safe manner that you could do (by driving a car) for the enjoyment that you get doing it. So, enough of the I'm smarter or know more and have better thought processes that you (and everyone else that doesn't wear a full-face helmet) just because of the gear I wear. You should organize a "motorcycle" ride and set a rule that the minimum requirement is to ride a Toyota Vios or Honda City (with front and side airbags required) but you will be allowed to roll down the side windows to feel the wind rush by and get the "motorcycle effect', while at the same time providing you with (what I deem to be) adequate protection. Then, maybe you will be satisfied that the riders/drivers are adequately safe/protected, until you realize that maybe they should be driving tanks....Next...........

Ok.You're getting ahead of yourself and reading things in my posts that are not there.

My opinions on openface helmets are just that, an opinion. Nothing more. Not an order. Not a requirement. Not being smarter, knowing more or about thought processes or any of that BS. Just personal opinions. Y'know, this being a forum and all.

Though to be honest, I'd tend to question the sanity of riders with openface helmets. :wacko:

It was all my fault. I opened up the Pandora's box by suggesting that you make this a group ride, hahahahaha.

I find one of the best things to do is to read threads that have gone off on a ridiculous tangent, feel the urge to weigh in with my own views... and then simple not do it.

As for Kanchanaburi, would be really interested to hear how you get on. The loop that II2 suggested looks good on the map. I think I will do a weekend run up there myself in the near future and see what it's like. I've been there before by train and it's certainly a beautiful region.

• Like 2

Its a real shame the OP's topic has somehow started a bit of a War of Words.

I've not yet got a bike here,i keep an eye on the forum. But rarely comment as someone always seems to take offence,we all have different opinions and without them the World would be a very boring place.

Pity we just can't to agree to disagree without the personal attacks.

Just enjoy riding and hopefully passing on sound ideas and information to each other.

Kanchanaburi is a great biking area,but I've only had a chance to tour in a truck (so far)

Anyway OP,good luck with grumpy friends rediscovering of biking(I'm in a similar position).

Cheers

what is your reason to exclude open face helmets ?

Jeez! Ridiculous question! Are you wantan in disguise?

Have you every ridden at speed especially on the highways in the provinces wearing an open-face helmet?

My visor on my full-face Arai is often covered in bug guts and the occasional small stone strike marks after a long ride. Hate to think what that crap would do to an unprotected face.

I'm guessing you're just pottering along on a scooter, correct?

The question is not should you (or should you not) wear a full-face helmet. The question is why should the organizer of the ride require everyone to wear full-faced helmets (i.e., exclude someone from joining the ride that chooses to wear an open-faced helmet. I wear a full-face helmet on long rides, but my helmet for normal riding is not full-faced, but it still has a visor that covers 3/4ths of my face and protects my eyes and almost all of my face from bugs and stones. You don't need to wear a full-faced helmet for the helmet to have a visor and to get protection from bugs and stones, and why the hell would the ride organizer care anyway. It's your face. Jeez, you really are confused.

Possibly the OP doesnt want any stone in face or chin on tarmac incidents to ruin his trip.

End of the day if he is organising the ride, he can make his rules if he wishes so. People who don't like his rules can just organise another ride group.

Myself if Im buying protective gear, I do make sure its complete protection. But, thats just my choice.

Looks good, were there any gas stations after the dam?

I didn't use it, but I'm sure there was one quite close after the dam and before you reached the ferry. After that there were none until you reached the homeward stretch, some town I don't know the name of, there was a 711 etc there,(you can't miss it) no Gasohol 95 but hey had Benzine 95.

Cannot share the map through android gmaps!!! Gmaps is starting to suck really nowadays!

From kanchanaburi: 3199 - 4041 - 3480 - local road 6030 or normal road 3086. This way you draw a circle and dont pass from the same roafs.

Great, going for a trip to Kanchaburi this week. Will check the roads.

EDIT: unfortunately just noticed that we were planning to head further north west so I guess will take those roads some other time.

Edited by Polanskiman

Cannot share the map through android gmaps!!! Gmaps is starting to suck really nowadays!

From kanchanaburi: 3199 - 4041 - 3480 - local road 6030 or normal road 3086. This way you draw a circle and dont pass from the same roafs.

Great, going for a trip to Kanchaburi this week. Will check the roads.

EDIT: unfortunately just noticed that we were planning to head further north west so I guess will take those roads some other time.

Yes that is the route I took and it turned out really well. Except the 3480 ended with pretty much a dirt track for about 200 meters, hills and everything, if it had been raining I don't think we could have made it. It was funny for a couple of sports bikes moving very slowly through that stretch.

• Like 1

So my friend and I did this trip and a good time was had by all. We followed the Sisawat route posted by ll2 (thanks). Went to the damn which is a really nice section of road. Getting the ferry was fun. Loved going through the high cornfields, felt like I was in the Hobbit movie. The twisty mountain section was great fun though the road wasn't the best condition in places and very narrow. Once off the ferry hardly saw another vehicle and lastly the weather was great, almost no rain worth mentioning. (A tiny little bit in the mountain section)

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_163157184_HDR1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20141019-WA0034.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20141019-WA0031.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_163157184_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20141019-WA0027.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20141019-WA0026.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20141019-WA0025.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_163025520.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_153113017_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_143248880.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_124545459.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141019_132901607.jpg

nice trip and a nice Yamaha. How is the ride compared to the ninja ?

Glad you had a nice trip. Here is a vid of that area from a few years ago. We avoided the ferry and doubled back on the same road though. What a blast it is riding up there. Here is a map. http://goo.gl/maps/NoUFE The last bit of 3199 is where it really gets fun. Be sure to fill up at the gas station next to the Erawan Falls entrance. I Don't remember seeing any after that.

Cool ride macknife.

I dont remember the dirt section though. Maybe they are doing the road?

I had fun times on that route too! But be careful guys with some curves as their camper is designed wrong and open for accidents. There is one very famous turn with badly designed camper which you can see lots of fairing and parts from the bikes went down there before at the ditch!

One bmw k1300 did an accident just behind me there!

Edited by ll2