Building A New Computer

Tufty

Hi

I am building a new computer and like to read reviews on stuff before buying, lots of things I see on Toms hardware guide doesnt seam to be available here or at least it may have a differant model number for Asia,

Can anyone give me a web address for avialable parts over here? it would help enormously if I don't have to keep asking in the shops every time

Some shops have given me price lists but when I ask another shop for a quote on the same part Im told its not available and the other shop is suppling gray imports

Thanks in advance

Tufty

There is a sticky link at the top to online stores with parts.

In case you missed it, Intel just released a new desktop chip family, the core 2 duo, that has instantly and completely redefined prices. This chip is so cheap and fast that AMD just today cut the prices of their cpu's half to be competitive! That's remarkable; I can't ever remember just a thing happening. You'd probably want to wait for this price shock wave to reach thailand if possible.

Why not list what you want to build and maybe someone here can quote you or point you in the right direction?

I use my computer for graphics and video encoding (only a bit of gaming) so I think my best bet for performance and price is probabilly

Motherboard Asus A8N-E @ 3,970 Baht is ok

CPU Athlon 64 3500+ @ 5,940 Baht is ok

Graphic card EN6600GT/HTD/256MB @ 6,955 Baht

SATA Hard disk Seagate 160 GB model ST3160811AS @ 2,880 Baht

Monitor VIEWSONIC VP920B @ 14,873 Baht

I dont know about the ram yet which is better single/duel sided Kensington or corsair

also I dont know about the cpu fan (its hot here) so how can I cool it without spending to much

If anyone has any better ideas or knows of incompatibility issues please let me know

Edited by Tufty

Why not list what you want to build and maybe someone here can quote you or point you in the right direction?

I use my computer for graphics and video encoding (only a bit of gaming) so I think my best bet for performance and price is probabilly

Motherboard Asus A8N-E @ 3,970 Baht is ok

CPU Athlon 64 3500+ @ 5,940 Baht is ok

Graphic card EN6600GT/HTD/256MB @ 6,955 Baht

SATA Hard disk Seagate 160 GB model ST3160811AS @ 2,880 Baht

Monitor VIEWSONIC VP920B @ 14,873 Baht

I dont know about the ram yet which is better single/duel sided Kensington or corsair

also I dont know about the cpu fan (its hot here) so how can I cool it without spending to much

If anyone has any better ideas or knows of incompatibility issues please let me know

Just a thought me old china but why not take a trip to Bangkok and spend a day at the pantip plaza. You want it they'll either have it or get it and you will probably get a list for everythng you need. TOODLE PIP :o

For graphics and video encoding, a dual core will help considerbly, and is worth the small premium (at least for Intels).

It's Kingston.. Kengsinton makes peripherals. If you're not overclocking the ram, it's not necessary to get great ram. I usually buy no-name stuff, so that I can get more (2GB).

The 19" Viewsonic LCD is currently 11,000 baht.. I know since I have one downstairs.

Graphics card is a bit expensive for a non-gamer. You can get a similar card for about 4-5k.

The stock CPU fan is usually enough if you don't overclock. What you do need to worry about (and very few people do... and face the consequences) is the case cooling. If you don't have adequate airflow and active cooling for your harddrives, they may die early (I've seen many fail this way).

And you don't need to go to Pantip. Bangkok (and many province) have plenty of computer malls, and the selection is enough to satisfy most needs. Pantip is crowded, has little parking space, not accessible, full of hawkers, and generally unpleasant.

Just a thought me old china but why not take a trip to Bangkok and spend a day at the pantip plaza. You want it they'll either have it or get it and you will probably get a list for everythng you need. TOODLE PIP :o

Whato Dunco

I did think about tootling off to Bangers to have nosey round that Pantip place and from what I hear they quite a selection of goodies at some rather decent prices, but I think I can get pretty much the said goodies here at Patters on Sea but I must admit for a few bob more

Trouble is Dunco if it all goes wonky after while I would rather get it off to the menders pretty damm sharp, and if need be give them a stern ticking off

Spiffing suggestion though it is Dunco it doesn't help much in the way of deciding what to purchase in the first instance

Any more constructive idea's are warmly welcome though

Regards Tufty

For graphics and video encoding, a dual core will help considerbly, and is worth the small premium (at least for Intels).

It's Kingston.. Kengsinton makes peripherals. If you're not overclocking the ram, it's not necessary to get great ram. I usually buy no-name stuff, so that I can get more (2GB).

The 19" Viewsonic LCD is currently 11,000 baht.. I know since I have one downstairs.

Graphics card is a bit expensive for a non-gamer. You can get a similar card for about 4-5k.

The stock CPU fan is usually enough if you don't overclock. What you do need to worry about (and very few people do... and face the consequences) is the case cooling. If you don't have adequate airflow and active cooling for your harddrives, they may die early (I've seen many fail this way).

And you don't need to go to Pantip. Bangkok (and many province) have plenty of computer malls, and the selection is enough to satisfy most needs. Pantip is crowded, has little parking space, not accessible, full of hawkers, and generally unpleasant.

Thanks for the sound advice Firefoxx I didn't fancy Pantip, fact is I don't like all the hustle and bustle of bkk period

aha Kingston eh, must have been thinking of another place down stream, good job I didn't say Cortina :o

I thought about duel core but AMD costs a small fortune (doesn't it?)

I chose to go the AMD way because I heard Nvidia chipsets are very stable and only Intel chipsets are stable when using Pentiums

I know it would be handy sometimes but the missus only lets me do multi tasking in the kitchen

I never even thought about overclocking the Ram (didn't know you could) I don't understand the stuff but just thought its better to have a lot of it

Im happy to know you have the Viewsonic (are you happy with it?) Toms hardware recommends the 930 but as they haven't reviewed the 920 I cant make a comparison (I dont even know if the 930 is here yet) and am sure it must be quite a bit more expensive, 11,000 baht for yours sounds a real bargain (where did you get it from?)

Advice duly noted re the case fans I planned on 3

As I say I am not a real gamer but do like flight sims and thought I would get prepared for future stuff

Many thanks Tufty

in case you missed it, Intel just released a new desktop chip family, the core 2 duo, that has instantly and completely redefined prices. This chip is so cheap and fast that AMD just today cut the prices of their cpu's half to be competitive! That's remarkable; I can't ever remember just a thing happening. You'd probably want to wait for this price shock wave to reach thailand if possible.

I also would wait for the flow on effect of this to the prices inthailand

also a 160 gig drive might be a bit small - think about 250gig

in case you missed it, Intel just released a new desktop chip family, the core 2 duo, that has instantly and completely redefined prices. This chip is so cheap and fast that AMD just today cut the prices of their cpu's half to be competitive! That's remarkable; I can't ever remember just a thing happening. You'd probably want to wait for this price shock wave to reach thailand if possible.

Thats great news if the X2 version 4400+ halves from its current price of 22,600 Baht

I also would wait for the flow on effect of this to the prices inthailand

also a 160 gig drive might be a bit small - think about 250gig

I also have 2 80gb drives and was planning using just for storage but maybe you are right if I save a pile on the cpu

I have a 160 Gig HD. I'm thinking of getting another 160. Since i have a new camcorder and that takes up shit loads of space. i Find that i had to uninstall games and stuff to make way for my movies before i transfer to disc.

Thats great news if the X2 version 4400+ halves from its current price of 22,600 Baht

The AMD X2 4600 is already hitting 9000 Baht state side. Dunno how long until the big price war hits Bangkok. It's very exciting in the US right now. That's a lot of CPU power for a very reasonable price. Core 2 duo has completely demolished the price performance picture and AMD is responding in kind.

Edited by The Coder

Jockster, if you're getting a new harddisk, get the 250GB version. It's the most gigabytes for the baht.

There are sub-10k baht dual-core AMDs available now, and really, it helps. Intel dual-cores were already cheap before, but their mainboards are a bit more expensive. Actually, I prefer Intel chipsets for their stability, but that's just from old experiences... I can't say anything for the current crop of AMD stuff.

When overclocking, you can overclock only the CPU or the RAM or both. I overclock my CPUs but not my RAM.

The 19" Viewsonic I have... I don't know. I don't use it, but it's good enough, and a good value.

Pattaya has its own IT shopping center... I remember it was pretty well stocked with all the usual shops (including hardware house). No need to come to Bangkok. Also one in Cholburi.

Thanks for the sound advice Firefoxx I didn't fancy Pantip, fact is I don't like all the hustle and bustle of bkk period

aha Kingston eh, must have been thinking of another place down stream, good job I didn't say Cortina :o

I chose to go the AMD way because I heard Nvidia chipsets are very stable and only Intel chipsets are stable when using Pentiums

I know it would be handy sometimes but the missus only lets me do multi tasking in the kitchen

I never even thought about overclocking the Ram (didn't know you could) I don't understand the stuff but just thought its better to have a lot of it

Im happy to know you have the Viewsonic (are you happy with it?) Toms hardware recommends the 930 but as they haven't reviewed the 920 I cant make a comparison (I dont even know if the 930 is here yet) and am sure it must be quite a bit more expensive, 11,000 baht for yours sounds a real bargain (where did you get it from?)

As I say I am not a real gamer but do like flight sims and thought I would get prepared for future stuff

Many thanks Tufty

Agree Panthip is UNPLEASANT SHOPPING which is bad enough.

Tell Taxi Driver 4 toon City (Fortune City next to Lotus 45 baht ride from sukkkkcumwiitt)

Much more civilized - which is important when SHOPPING

Many thanks Tufty

Agree Panthip is UNPLEASANT SHOPPING which is bad enough.

Tell Taxi Driver 4 toon City (Fortune City next to Lotus 45 baht ride from sukkkkcumwiitt)

Much more civilized - which is important when SHOPPING

It;s been a while since I last build a desktop system myself, I switched to laptops and not sure if I could make it on building it myself again. But now, I miss the old destop think, besides, on a desktop you get the real power. So, what I am trying to find is the best you can get for a home/smalloffice type computer. An ATI Radeon X1900 (or a better one if it's available in Thailand) graphics card type, a very good CPU, a very good mainboard (personally I would go for a MSI), etc. Now, where could I find all of this under the same roof (same company) si in case something goes wrong, I won't have to place dozens of calls to different companies. Money it's not a problem, I've been saving money for this for a long time. Thanks!

Alexth, I've seen those things at IT Mall (Fortune), at one shop (I think it was PC outlet?). However, you'd have to get a quality PSU and case somewhere else. The shops that sell the "good" cases seem to specialize in cooling only.