Possible way to meet retirement visa financial requirements?

Basically as far as income letters, applicants should only present the letter and no other evidence of income. IN CASE the officer asks for backup information, it's not a bad idea to have that on hand to show at that time. Officers have every legal right to ask for further evidence about anything. Not that they often or always do, but they can. This issue might especially be relevant to Americans and nationals from other embassies where it is known by immigration that evidence is not required to get the income letters.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically as far as income letters, applicants should only present the letter and no other evidence of income. IN CASE the officer asks for backup information, it's not a bad idea to have that on hand to show at that time. Officers have every legal right to ask for further evidence about anything. Not that they often or always do, but they can. This issue might especially be relevant to Americans and nationals from other embassies where it is known by immigration that evidence is not required to get the income letters.

What immigration office (location) has ever asked for back up?

Going back over the years, in different offices, we have heard of such individual case reports. I even recall at least once there was a short term "crack down" related to this at Bangkok which it was suggested would become national, but it didn't really become national or last long. Nobody has the detailed records you seek or is going to spend days searching accounts related to this on thaivisa, so forget about that. The point is only that they have the legal right and they are not as stupid as some people think, they DO know about the U.S. embassy policy, and sometimes that has manifested itself increased skepticism about applications from Americans with income statements. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Phuket last December.

I took back up evidence with me as I had not sworn a false statement (I'm an Aussie).

The example thrust at me was from the German Embassy - so I assume all income letters here are checked

Americans have no special status in this instance - but, TIT, UP2U.

Phuket last December.

I took back up evidence with me as I had not sworn a false statement (I'm an Aussie).

The example thrust at me was from the German Embassy - so I assume all income letters here are checked

What were you trying to do at Immigration? What does Germany or America have to do with an Australian? Sorry I don't understand your post.

Phuket last December.

What were you trying to do at Immigration? What does Germany or America have to do with an Australian? Sorry I don't understand your post.

Use an income statement sworn at an Embassy to get an extension based on retirement in Phuket.

My examples show it is not just my country but others too who need to prove that income.

Isn't that the topic we are discussing? ...

Phuket last December.

Use an income statement sworn at an Embassy to get an extension based on retirement in Phuket.

My examples show it is not just my country but others too who need to prove that income.

Did the immigration officer ask you for back up to your letter from the Australian embassy? What did he ask you for? What did you show him? What does Germany have to do with anything?

Did the immigration officer ask you for back up to your letter from the Australian embassy? What did he ask you for? What did you show him? What does Germany have to do with anything?

1. YES

2. Evidence of bank statements showing income into Australia and out to my Thai bank over the past year.

3. See (2).

4. A German application is what he showed me as an example of what he wanted to see.

If you don't understand after all this you'll need to go to special class.

Short summary - if using the Income verified letter, from any country, in Phuket for a Retirement extension:

- don't lie

- be prepared to back up your affidavit at Phuket Immi.

If you are not asked to do so - don't assume you wont be asked next time around.

• Like 1

Was successful with an Affidavit of Income from the US Embassy....along with six months of bank statements, showing sources and amounts of deposits each month, as well as withdrawals from the ATM here. No questions asked. This was in Savannakhet, just 3 days ago. The Affidavit will not stand by itself..at least not there. The bank statements were exactly what the officer was looking for.

By the way, anyone can swear they make 65,000 baht a month, and get an Affidavit of Income from the Embassy. Looks like now, you need something to support it.

This was for a 90 day non immigrant O visa based on retirement.

Did you get a retirement extension at Savannakhet? I thought that was in Laos. I thought we were talking about getting a retirement extension and for that purpose I have never heard of anyone being asked for anything but a letter from the embassy except if it is a combined method and then the bank letter and the difference made up by the embassy letter.

I think you are talking about something different. Yes? You didn't mention the most important fact. What kind of document were you getting?

It is very easy to confuse the issue by leaving out important details and by calling things by the wrong name.

A lot of people try to scare people by mentioning requirements that are not related to their particular situation.

It was pretty clear, if you read the last line in my post, what I got in Savannakhet. I was applying for a 90 day non O based on retirement. (Not an OA or any sort of retirement extension ) No mix up there.

What you are confused about is the one year retirement extension on that 90 day non O. That is not done in Laos. That is done at immigration, back in Thailand, after sixty days.

Sorry you were confused. I Thought this procedure was quite clear. Hope you understand the post now.

Granted, the thread is about the OA (not my case). It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. I just was providing input concerning the Affidavit of income (in my case). That, alone (in my case) was not enough. They asked me for bank statements.

Got it?

thumbsup.gif

Edited by slipperylobster

1. YES

2. Evidence of bank statements showing income into Australia and out to my Thai bank over the past year.

3. See (2).

4. A German application is what he showed me as an example of what he wanted to see.

If you don't understand after all this you'll need to go to special class.

Short summary - if using the Income verified letter, from any country, in Phuket for a Retirement extension:

- don't lie

- be prepared to back up your affidavit at Phuket Immi.

If you are not asked to do so - don't assume you wont be asked next time around.

This is an visa forum. Everything has a name. Every form has a name. German application? What is that? Did he want to see an Australian bank book? Sorry for the questions but you are vague. Since no one has ever been asked for this information before it is unusual and so the questions.

You wrote, "My examples show it is not just my country but others too who need to prove that income." How would anything you have written show that? Did the immigration officer show you a German bank book too?

Seems you are getting angry and I don't understand that. I'm just asking questions because of all the immigration offices in Thailand and all the thousands of times people have used a letter from an embassy yours is the only one questioned. Seems odd why you out of thousands of others, hence the questions. I am not trying to make you angry.

Edited by thailiketoo

It was pretty clear, if you read the last line in my post, what I got in Savannakhet. I was applying for a 90 day non O based on retirement. (Not an OA or any sort of retirement extension ) No mix up there.

What you are confused about is the one year retirement extension on that 90 day non O. That is not done in Laos. That is done at immigration, back in Thailand, after sixty days.

Sorry you were confused. I Thought this procedure was quite clear. Hope you understand the post now.

Granted, the thread is about the OA (not my case). It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. I just was providing input concerning the Affidavit of income (in my case). That, alone (in my case) was not enough. They asked me for bank statements.

Got it?

thumbsup.gif

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " That is an assumption on your part. My questions have to do with a retirement extension done in Thailand so nothing to do with you and what you are writing about. JT said he remembered something but could not be specific. I'd like some specific information if in fact a letter from the embassy is questioned. Who, what, when, where and why; the usual stuff. It's an important topic and there are people on here who get their kicks trying to frighten old people (not referring to you). Since it is an important requirement I think the topic should be pinned and checked for accuracy but that's only my humble opinion.

For those here talking about being requested/required to show bank statements by Immigration, how many months of statements were they needing to see?

The question I was asked was, "Do you have bank statements?". He hardly looked at the Affidavit of Income. I gave six months, and he was immediately satisfied. Perhaps 3 would be minimum? With six, he just took 1 minute to look at the statements, scribble something, stack everything up, and ask for my 2000 baht.

One poster insists that we should "nail down" one specific detail about one specific case.

Every consulate, and every immigration office, has their own procedures. Bank statements are always good back up....as are Affidavits of Income and other sources of proof.

I do not see the harm in carrying everything you can. You may be asked for further proof..nobody really can nail down specifics.

This does not mean you present all the documents you possess. You would only give what is asked for... and have the rest at hand.

Got it?

thumbsup.gif

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " That is an assumption on your part.

No it is not an "assumption". It is a factual history of what was asked for.

facepalm.gif

Got it?

thumbsup.gif

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " That is an assumption on your part.

facepalm.gif

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " One case you write about OK I get that. The other case is an extension based on retirement. You have not written about that.

Edited by thailiketoo

Got it?

thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " One case you write about OK I get that. The other case is an extension based on retirement. You have not written about that.

correct.. I have not written about that.

facepalm.gif

So it's an assumption?

So it's an assumption?

You wrote, " It just appears that an Affidavit of Income, from the applicants Embassy, is not enough, in either case. " That is an assumption on your part

No, you are the assumption. I am done.

What you are looking for is something that just will not get pinned down, in any case, in any situation, in any consulate or embassy.

Bottom line....it is up to the officer looking at your case. He can ask whatever he likes.

Chill.

• Like 2

So it's an assumption?

facepalm.gif

No, you are the assumption. I am done.

What you are looking for is something that just will not get pinned down, in any case, in any situation, in any consulate or embassy.

Bottom line....it is up to the officer looking at your case. He can ask whatever he likes.

Chill.

You have no direct knowledge of an immigration officer (not embassy official) questioning an income letter from an embassy when applying for a retirement extension.

If you do write about it. I think we would all be interested. My point is innuendo is not fact. If one person out of 10,000 is questioned call it what it is; one person out of 10,000 had his embassy letter questioned when applying for a retirement extension.

It is difficult enough living in Thailand without all the Obfuscation that goes on using wrong terminology and maybes and advice from novices.

One would think people would have some sympathy for older folks retiring in Thailand. I had an immigration officer ask me why I didn't play golf more. Honest he did. But that did not mean he was going to deny my extension because I didn't play enough golf. I didn't start a topic about a golf requirement for retirement extensions. But there could be a golf requirement in the future eh?

@thailiketoo

Why are you on some nitpicking crudsade (pun intended)?

Are you in the habit of swearing false affidavits on "american territory" (your Embassy) , believing in the almighty power of "American privilege" which is under US law a Federal felony?

The German example provided to me (an Aussie) by Phuket Immi contained bank account copies attached to the German Embassy letter.

If you don't believe in actual experience at Phuket Immi - carry on regardless.

I am far from the only one this has happened to in the last year - the whole world is not comprised of TV posting pedants.

Obviously others here are interested in this factual information and will have ready their backup proof (money into country - money out for local expenses here) if asked for it.

Will you?

The German embassy requires proof of income to issue the income letter. I would imagine what you saw was the letter from the German embassy and the proof that the German provided the embassy to get the letter. The immigration officer was probably confused.

Obviously others are interested in factual information and I would encourage anyone who has an embassy letter questioned to write in and have it recorded on Thai Visa.

Your accusations about me don't lend support to your credibility. You have no Idea about my visa and/or extension dealings.

I think it is a good idea to have all the bases covered and contingencies planned for. I also think it is a good idea to have a realistic idea of the occurrence of contingencies without grinding any axes. I have done 11 retirement extensions and 44 address reporting events at 6 different immigration offices in Thailand. I have been asked for proof of residence twice and never for any other financial data except a bank letter and bank book. I have a pension but don't use it when getting my retirement extension. Maybe 20 years from now I will use my pension, hence my interest in the subject.

I've seen numerous reportings of bank restrictions and other paperwork unique to Americans used to try and scare the old folks, so I try to inquire as the the validity and frequency of those reports.

I've seen older folks have problems at immigration because they were confused and I try to help them. Gee, they have enough problems; health and so on, without trying to create new requirements for them to follow.

I am going to sit this one out.

Some people just cannot be dealt with, nit-pickers included.

Hope you find what you are looking for !

Out to Lunch. coffee1.gif

That's what ignore lists are for. Mine worked this time.

• Like 2

You are a US citizen, all you need to do is go to the US Embassy and get a financial statement notarized. That is acceptable proof for any Thai Immigration office, Embassy, or Consulate.

You state what your income is on the affidavit (you can put any amount), and the US Embassy asks you if it is true, you say yes, and they notarize it. They do not ask you for proof of the stated income (unlike other country's embassies).

So don't worry about proving your income, just get the notarized affidavit and you are good to go.

I thought they had stopped accepting the affidavit now or were at least threatening to.
That is nonsense. No such thing has been done or even mentioned anywhere.

An immigration office can always ask for back proof.

Not nonsense. I have been doing it this way for twelve years. No Immigration officer has ever asked for back proof.

As far as I know only US citizens have this privilege. One of the privileges granted to US citizens by Thailand because the US slapped the Brits and French hands when they wanted a piece of Thailand after WWII. Brits were in Burma and the French in Indo

china and both wanted to divide up Thailand. Uh uh said the US. Hands off.

I believe that Australians also have that "privilege," i.e. Aussies do not need to provide proof of income to their embassy to receive the income verification letter.

I am going to sit this one out.

Some people just cannot be dealt with, nit-pickers included.

Hope you find what you are looking for !

Out to Lunch. coffee1.gif

That's what ignore lists are for. Mine worked this time.

Thanks for the reminder, works for me.