Thai opinion: What has Europe ever done for us?

webfact

They have more in common than the author thinks. At present both are run by the unelected unaccountable..

Whatever faults the EU has, and there are many it is largely run by the elected European Parliament. The other main body is the Council of the European Union which comprises ministers from the elected governments of the member nations. There are I think 5 other bodies which are overseen by the parliament. Not every post is elected which is the same in most governments . It's hard enough getting people to vote for the parliament let alone anything else.

Several people have claimed that Thais don't understand what the EU is and that's probably true but the same can be said for many Europeans. I have to admit my knowledge is rather limited but I do know enough to realise it isn't run by unelected bureaucrats.

Just to make it clear - the real power in EU holds only Council of the European Union (which is not elected by people) and elected body which is European Parliament have no real power nor authority...

post-175342-0-82755100-1413272807_thumb.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

er massage, no, muay Thai, no (Khmere), the bar fine, no, pad Thai (chinese) morlam, no that's lao, phew not easy is it, Thai language YES. Even the national anthem was composed by a German.

The Thai anthem was composed a few days after the 1932 coup in the tune vaguely similar to the national anthem of Poland, "Poland Is Not Yet Lost", and was first broadcast in July 1932. clap2.gif

I would rather be told what Thailand has ever done for anybody on this planet.

Massage Parlours?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massage_parlor

maybe not so good:

The internal human traffic of Thai females consists mostly of 12-16 year-olds from the hill tribes of the North and Northeast of the country. Most of these internally trafficked girls are sent to closed brothels, which operate under prison-like conditions.[3] Thousands of women from rural Thailand, China, Laos, Burma and Cambodia are sold to brothels in Bangkok

Actually there were massage parlors in the UK in the 19th cent, see 1894 massage scanals, probably had in the USA too.

Edited by jacky54

EU are hypocrites, they promote so-called democracy (whatever that means), and then rely on China (which are communists) to produce their products, hardly qualified to mediate IMHO especially in Italy a country which is riddled with corruption.

Thailand is of course only concerned with Thais, hence no reason to interfere with other countries's internal policies, and hence have no enemies, but EU on-the-other-hand do. Perhaps EU should learn a lesson from the Thai book, instead of trying to preach on something they clearly do not understand the reason behind the coup when your own back yard is not in order.

There can be just one answer to this post:

post-175342-0-93798000-1413273988_thumb.

Seriously, can anyone highlight what is Thainess?

Thainess is getting away with murder both figuratively and literally. It means never having to read the rules let alone live by them. It means never having to apologize for anything. It means anything goes as long as you don't criticize them. The list is endless.

Most Thais probably don't even know where Europe is!!

You may find that is sadly true I was asked by a Thai graduate if my son would be educated in the UK or Thailand.

I asked if she knew where Moscow was

she replied, where ?

I said Moscow, head tilted, a glazed look appeared

in Russia i said

Oh yes i have heard of that country.

I then asked if she knew who Hitler was

Oh yes he had a big army i have heard of him.

Taught them that not all that glitters is gold-

Things are not always as they appear-

Woman can be actresses beyond Academy award level.

South east Asia is poorer so it does what it does $$$

Greed can be all consuming-

The west should not complain about its insignificant poverty *(by comparison)

Xenophobic notions are real

Words mean little

Actions can be deceiving -

The poor can be righteous

Its cheaper than here

Its getting more dangerous .

We are biologically more rational

Should have saved my money and never gone there

Quit being a fool.

Good and bad in every race.

Juntas use propaganda methods

They have taken a lot of drunkards and less desirables off their hands.

...WHO has taken......off WHOSE hands?

What has Europe ever done for us?

Well Europe and the West in general has given them the an endless supply of tourists, the motor car, locomotives, penicillin and countless other medical drugs and procedures, farming equipment, education, democratic system of government [cheesy.giflaugh.pngbiggrin.png ] Western style of clothing, Western architecture for all their hotels and shopping malls, aeroplanes, telephones, television, radio -----I shan't go or I will bore you all.

What have the Thais done for us, ----- provided us with a venue for our paedophiles, sex addicts and our dropouts.

What has Europe ever done for us?

Um...massive trade, building factories, creating jobs through commerce and tourism, charity for the poor and victims of natural disasters, sharing agricultural and medical science, building your satellites for Thai TV and cellphones, provided native teachers so private Thai schools can roll in profits...it is not a short list, and I only hit a few examples from hundreds.

And let's not forget liberating Thais from their WWII Japanese "guests"....

But but but, you missed the point, what have they ever done for us?

It would never happen but it would interesting to see what would happen if all foreign investment, companies, products etc were pulled out of Thailand. I'm sure it would end up looking like North Korea, and they seem to do so well being self sufficient coffee1.gif

Nationalistic nonsense.

Most Thais probably don't even know where Europe is!!

Some Thais I spoke too had never heard of Hitler or Muhammad Ali. They had however heard of Bruce Lee. They all know where the ATM is though!

Edited by MRDave

Thailand didn't nuke anyone USA

Enslave ans starve a quarter of the planet India,Africa,Tasman genocide the Irish UK

Bomb many world Arabs

Fence Arabs behind a wall Jews

Lock up unwanted leaders Burma

Gove General sack pm Oz

Sheepworry NZ

Let us not even consider the real Euro horrors of real nazis and their Vichy quisling helpers

Those who dont care for the dictatorship are fee to leave at present

Edited by RubbaJohnny

LOL!! I was about to post this.. biggrin.png

Refer to Life of Brian, change Romans to Europe.

Monty Python's boys always hit the nail on the head.

Listening to that sketch, it sounds as if the Romans could do a fine job in Thailand even at this late hour so to speak.

Aqueducts - for water distribution and retention.Not available in your area.

Sanitation - garbage removal and disposal.

Roads - lasted hundreds of years.

Education - classical

Irrigation - A good start has been made here.

Medicine - Doing OK at the moment with Ebola cure etc

Public Baths - Maybe the soapy type are more popular

Public Order - Martial law helps.

Given its vast resources and decades of stability, Thailand has not produced all that many world citizens. Was there a Thai head of the World Bank or IMF ? Can anyone name any Thai world citizens ?

You can say what you want Taksin, but one thing is sure, He IS a world citizen.

A definition of World citizen is available here.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=World%20Citizen

Thaksin Shinawatra does not seem to meet the requirements.

Thaksin is a Nomad of the World. A very wealthy, rather sad little man, free to move from some countries to some other countries but who is unable, or better still, unwilling to return to the country of his birth due to cowardice and fear of prosecution and in some minds, persecution.. Ask the average person on the street in any country in the world "Who is Thaksin Shinawatra"? and you will receive a blank stare in 99% of cases.

BTW Taksin the Great was the only King of the Thonburi Kingdom and was of Thai - Chinese heritage.

Given sex to a lot of ugly people who could never get it any where else on the planet, for a price of course. But the truth is here in LOS money can buy you anything, not so in most European countries.

Im sorry I fell asleep by the second paragra......zzz

I didn't make it that far but bottom line is Europe and the US would prefer to deal with a corrupt government when it comes to less advanced countries. They are pro-democracy only when the leader it creates is somebody they can pull strings with.

From the OP, near the end. The EU's position:

It essentially called on the Thai military to restore, "as a matter of urgency, the legitimate democratic process and the constitution, through credible and inclusive elections".

I think the credible is going to take a while. Just my opinion. It is not as some seem to think like throwing light switch. It takes time some times even go back a step.

so what has Thailand ever done for us? er

Pattaya !

Sad really if that's all we can come up with, the brothel by the sea.

Don't blame Europe for Pattaya. It has been a playground since the Vietnam war, used by the US forces for R&R.

Given its vast resources and decades of stability, Thailand has not produced all that many world citizens. Was there a Thai head of the World Bank or IMF ? Can anyone name any Thai world citizens ?

You can say what you want Taksin, but one thing is sure, He IS a world citizen.

How many dodgy passports do you have to acquire to qualify?