Synod signals Catholic shift on gays

webfact

Vatican family review signals shift on homosexuality

ROME: -- Senior clerics taking part in a review of Catholic teachings on the family have called on the Church to adopt a more positive stance on homosexuality.

A preliminary report written by bishops during a Vatican synod said homosexuals had "gifts and qualities to offer".

The report does not challenge the Church's long-held opposition to same-sex marriage, but some gay rights groups hailed it as a breakthrough.

Conservative groups rejected the report, one labelling it a "betrayal".

More than 200 bishops have been taking part in the synod since 5 October. It was convened by Pope Francis to debate abortion, contraception, homosexuality and divorce.

Monday's report, issued half-way through the two-week meeting, said: "Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community.

"Are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities?"

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29603496

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-14

The catholic church's stand on celibacy is not as old as catholism itself. It was introduced somewhen in the middle age to ensure, that a priest's inheritance would go to the church which ensured the growing wealth of the vatican. Many people left their earthly possessions to the men of the cloth in the belief that they would make good use of it.
As any wrongdoing by the catholic men of the cloth is being treated under canonian law it remains a wild guess, how much punitive damages (a.k.a. shut-up fees) were paid by the church ever since people started to complain about the gentlemen's misuse of their clerical status.

• Like 2

"Are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities?"

Is asking the question showing any more of a shift than a shift in public relations strategies?

While a certain degree of cynicism is warranted, the fact remains that if public relations was ever a primary concern for the Church, they would be more likely to stick to less divisive issues. The Anglican Church, among others, has been struggling with a major split over homosexual matters, something that I'm sure has not escaped the notice of the RC Church.

Since the Pope himself has asked, "Who am I to judge them if they're seeking the Lord in good faith?" I believe there is a legitimate effort to take a more inclusive stance based on what is right rather than on what is popular. In fact amongst a rather larger ultraconservative faction of the Church, even asking if they are capable of being less rigid in their thinking is hardly likely to be a well-received & popular public relations coup.

Despite what some people think, filling the pews and the coffers is not the sole driving force for everyone in the church. The Catholic Church can be accused of many things, not all of which are justified, but rushing to embrace the latest fads or PC attitudes is not a realistic accusation. Usually it's quite the opposite.

Edited by Suradit69

This is a step forward out of the darkness for the church. As a gay man who doesn't believe in religious practices of any kind, it is of no matter to me, but I am sure to gay Catholics, this is a huge thing. I gave up wanting religion to accept me for what I am a long time ago.

• Like 2

post-145163-0-29344700-1413937192_thumb.

I and many others are deeply offended by both this article and the CC in general so can this subject be omitted from the forum or does it get a free pass because it's religiously based?

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

100 years ago churches may procecute for hang gays and witchs may proven wrong in today history many of them are wrongly killed under God's name.

Adapt modern way of living is the survival keys for churches today, sex is very personal thing between you and God as hormone God already programme inside human being to have desire but under control way.

Pope make to good move but may takes time for next generation to adapt as many still oppose.

"Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community.

Spare me! How patronising. This is not progress on the part of the Catholic world. It is merely an awakening to what the real world already knows. Including the enlightened members of its flock.

Oh come on. Gays excel in interior design, fashion, entertainment and as aircraft cabin crew. ;)

"Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community.

Spare me! How patronising. This is not progress on the part of the Catholic world. It is merely an awakening to what the real world already knows. Including the enlightened members of its flock.

Oh come on. Gays excel in interior design, fashion, entertainment and as aircraft cabin crew. ;)

They also excel at rugby, rugby league, soccer, American football, basketball, martial arts ... and war, let's not forget putting your life on the line for your country. In fact a prominent member of the gay forum is, so I'm lead to believe, a former British SAS - I call him "sir" :).

• Like 1

A 'political' decision by il papa...not a theological one.

Religions aren't supposed to kowtow to the whims of the times.

..and yet he does

Seems you have a lot more in common with the radical immams than you thought you did there, Vincent.