Thailand as eager as Canada to increase bilateral trade, officials say on trade visit to B.C.

webfact

Thailand as eager as Canada to increase bilateral trade, officials say on trade visit to B.C.
BY CHUCK CHIANG

VANCOUVER: -- Canada’s eagerness to do business with Asia is starting to draw attention in the continent, especially in Southeast Asia.

Thailand, a key member of ASEAN group of countries, sent a senior delegation to Vancouver and Toronto last week, culminating in an extended business promotion seminar at the Vancouver Club.

The event, titled appropriately “Why Thailand,” attracted about 100 local business officials.

The timing is no surprise: After the political turmoil in Thailand resulted in a military coup in May, Thai officials are engaged in the diplomatic effort to reassure foreign investors about the country’s stability and return to economic prominence.

“We have studies that revealed Canada and Thailand don’t know enough about each other, so we are working hard on that front,” said Sutthiluck Sangarmangkang, consul-general of Thailand in Vancouver. “This event is one of the results, and we hope to see a fruitful conclusion.”

Thai officials said the delegation was the first of its kind — a top-level trade delegation specifically interacting with the Canadian market. Canada-Thailand bilateral trade reached about $3.5 billion last year.

“We are Canada’s second largest trade partner in ASEAN,” said Phongsak Assakul, senior chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trade of Thailand, and head of visiting business delegation. “The (bilateral) trade figure is relatively small, and there’s lots of room for expansion.”

Thailand has promised a return to democracy with general elections next year, and officials stressed Bangkok is intent on preserving a friendly environment of foreign investment. The military insists its intervention was to return stability after a period of political stalemate made governing the country difficult.

Full story: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Thailand+eager+Canada+increase+bilateral+trade+officials+trade+visit/10286532/story.html

-- THE VANCOUVER SUN 2014-10-14

Relaxed Visa rules for Canadians ! (That would be a great way to start things !!) biggrin.png

Thais like fish (Canada has lots of fish) !

Canadians like chicken (Thais have lots of chicken) !

Canadians like hot, sunny vacation spots (Thailand has hot, sunny vacation spots) !

Thais like Canadian dollars (Canadians have Canadian dollars) !!

Thais like ice (Canada has LOTS of ice) !

Canadians like beer (Thailand has, well, ummm, nevermind).

It's like a match made in Heaven !

Reciprocal long-term, hassle free visas with land ownership privileges would certainly entice Canadian businesses to do trade with Thailand ! (Maybe not, but I'm sure there are 1 or 2 canucks that would support the idea.)

I would be willing to offer my services as a "Reciprocal Agreement Supervisor" (for certain considerations of course) to help ensure a mutually beneficial (mostly to me) agreement is reached !

• Like 2

“We have studies that revealed Canada and Thailand don’t know enough about each other, so we are working hard on that front,” said Sutthiluck Sangarmangkang, consul-general of Thailand in Vancouver.

Or free translated, Canada doesn't know yet that Thailands business interests are usually one sided.

• Like 2

“We have studies that revealed Canada and Thailand don’t know enough about each other, so we are working hard on that front,” said Sutthiluck Sangarmangkang, consul-general of Thailand in Vancouver.

Or free translated, Canada doesn't know yet that Thailands business interests are usually one sided.

Exactly. I don't think Thailand understands the meaning of bilateral. They do know ONE WAY - well not when operating a motor vehicle. They want to export, but when it comes to imports.... tax tax tax so no one wants to buy them. Don't other countries realize what Thailand is about yet?

Relaxed Visa rules for Canadians ! (That would be a great way to start things !!) biggrin.png

Canadians like hot, sunny vacation spots (Thailand has hot, sunny vacation spots) !

Reciprocal long-term, hassle free visas with land ownership privileges would certainly entice Canadian businesses to do trade with Thailand ! (Maybe not, but I'm sure there are 1 or 2 canucks that would support the idea.)

I would be willing to offer my services as a "Reciprocal Agreement Supervisor" (for certain considerations of course) to help ensure a mutually beneficial (mostly to me) agreement is reached !

I see you have a great future as politician. If you need any help, let me know.....I like to stay close to the money.....

Good luck with the reciprocal visas, Thais can go to Canada on a 6 month visa, no re-entry permits required. That will never be permitted in Thailand. All foreigners, including Canucks, can enter Thailand on a 30 day visa, with the assurance that the ever changing immigration rules will permit them to re-enter the country for 7 days, or 14 days, or what ever immigration feels like giving them on any particular day. The last time I applied for a visa for my Thai wife to visit the great white north, the consul asked me if I had ever considered getting her a permanent residency, that's the difference between Thailand and a country that genuinely welcomes visitors.

• Like 1

Well it is nice to see that sometimes Thailand actually looks to something outside the normal despots like China, Iran and dark Africa, of course Transparency is pretty full on in CA, so maybe a learning curve here Thailand, but then again , you do good business with US and OZ , so maybe you only are slack in your own country, which brings me to that important question Why...coffee1.gif

Good luck with the reciprocal visas, Thais can go to Canada on a 6 month visa, no re-entry permits required. That will never be permitted in Thailand. All foreigners, including Canucks, can enter Thailand on a 30 day visa, with the assurance that the ever changing immigration rules will permit them to re-enter the country for 7 days, or 14 days, or what ever immigration feels like giving them on any particular day. The last time I applied for a visa for my Thai wife to visit the great white north, the consul asked me if I had ever considered getting her a permanent residency, that's the difference between Thailand and a country that genuinely welcomes visitors.

I agree with this writer. Canada welcomes permanent residence . Thailand is scared of them. New Residence do not hurt a country they help a country in every way possible. For the most part new residence enhance a country.

"Thailand" what are you afraid of.

“The (bilateral) trade figure is relatively small, and there’s lots of room for expansion.”

Canada's LARGEST Asian trading partners are Japan, Taiwan and South Korea but obviously they are not part of ASEAN. But will there be lots of room for Thailand trade expansion? Currently that's very tenious.

The Export Development Canada (EDC), Canada’s export credit agency cautions, “Until a new government is installed, Canadian companies doing business with or working on projects connected to the sovereign should exercise extra caution and ensure that new contracts signed will survive a change in regime if and when it happens.” (my underlined emphasis)

Canucks can enter Thailand without a Visa for 30 days and while in Bangkok can extend that visa exemption another 30 days for 60 days total.

I have 49 of those stamps in my current passport and have never been denied entry. It was only when I wanted to stay in Thailand more than 30/60 days that I needed a Visa. I've since got the Visa and further to that an extension to stay for one year. I have a multiple re-entry permit as well so I can come and go as I please.

So Canadian to Thailand for one month = just show up

And Canadian to Thailand for a year = apply for Visa and apply for extension to stay

Then Thai to Canada for one month= apply for Visa

And Thai to Canada for a year = apply for two Visas, one every six months (can they apply for a Visa while inside Canada or must they leave and re-enter?)

I don't see the huge difference here ?

Canucks can enter Thailand without a Visa for 30 days and while in Bangkok can extend that visa exemption another 30 days for 60 days total.

I have 49 of those stamps in my current passport and have never been denied entry. It was only when I wanted to stay in Thailand more than 30/60 days that I needed a Visa. I've since got the Visa and further to that an extension to stay for one year. I have a multiple re-entry permit as well so I can come and go as I please.

And Canadian to Thailand for a year = apply for Visa and apply for extension to stay

And Thai to Canada for a year = apply for two Visas, one every six months (can they apply for a Visa while inside Canada or must they leave and re-enter?)

You have 49 stamps in your passport, over how many years? It would take a Thai 25 years to accrue 49 stamps for entering Canada. I may be mistaken about tourist visas, I only ever had one tourist visa and one renewal, then I got a retirement visa. One thing I do know is that at different times over the years there have been several rule changes about tourist visas IE; if you come by land you can stay 14 days, if you come by air 30 days, you can renew your tourist visas many times, or one time, or what ever the government dictates at the time. I guess what I'm looking for is clarity and consistency.

I visited Thailand almost 15 years ago. I met my wife, we got married in Bangkok. That's because the Canadian embassy would not give her a tourist visa for Canada. Highly unlikely to return is what they said. When I pointed out that her 4 year old would be staying home the gal at the embassy asked me, "Do you know how many Thai ladies leave children here with grandparents and never return?".

So we got married. My wife and her child came to Canada 10 months later. I am the only Dad my daughter ever knew. We are a family. We visit Thailand often and spend a lot of money when we do. We also send money from Canada for her mom on a monthly basis. My wife works as hard as I do, in fact probably harder.

We have some savings. We have plans for retirement. Yet every time I think about all these stupid rules Thailand has for foreigners I am put off retiring to the land of smiles.

When she came to Canada she was granted access to the health care system, covered just like any other permanent resident. That took 3 months. In another 6 years she will be eligible for both a Canada Pension and Social Security. She will have steady income and health / drug coverage in retirement. I will have the same as well as a company pension.

Yet if we want to retire in Thailand I will have to spend a fortune on health insurance, can never have my name on a deed to a home and need to constantly check in with immigration. Anyone who let's me stay with them or rents a home to me will also have to report my presence regularly to the government. Then every year I'll have to ask permission to stay another year. If my wife dies before me I may be kicked out.

The system over here is messed up. They are making it so hard it is unattractive to live here. We need to get some higher educated people in charge who understand economics and the many benefits foreigners bring into the picture.

I said to my wife, we're thinking of retiring here and yet if we told the average Thai person they would say .... Are you crazy? You want to leave Canada to come here to live? Most Thais would jump at the chance to leave.

The true reason we are considering a move to Thailand is that my wife misses her family. I understand how much she gave up when she left everyone in the world she knew except me and came to my country.

I would like her to be reunited with her family if possible when we no longer need to work.

Tony

You have 49 stamps in your passport, over how many years? It would take a Thai 25 years to accrue 49 stamps for entering Canada. I may be mistaken about tourist visas, I only ever had one tourist visa and one renewal, then I got a retirement visa. One thing I do know is that at different times over the years there have been several rule changes about tourist visas IE; if you come by land you can stay 14 days, if you come by air 30 days, you can renew your tourist visas many times, or one time, or what ever the government dictates at the time. I guess what I'm looking for is clarity and consistency.

Clarity and consistency......two things you surely will not ever find in Thailand!

(The 49 "stamps" was over a two year period, maybe 2 ½? I worked in Hong Kong and commuted to Thailand on my time off. But remember, these are not tourist visa stamps or visas, they are stamps allowing entry into the Kingdom for a period of 30 days without a visa. Can come and go on those forever as long as you don't stay more than the 30 days!

And you are correct, several rule changes and the latest one took effect August 29th I believe? 30 days visa exempt can now get a further 30 days extension while in Thailand.)