Thai Immigration bureau adapting to AEC

webfact

Immigration bureau adapting to AEC

BANGKOK, 15 October 2014 (NNT) - The Immigration Bureau has adjusted its rules and regulations in keeping with the free flow of labor in the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). Immigration processes at airports and border areas are expected to be more in line with the AEC’s policy.

Executive of the Immigration Bureau Pol.Lt.Gen. Sakda Chuenphakdi said the bureau had laid out measures and adopted technologies with its work ahead of the AEC which would make ASEAN citizens travel within the region more conveniently.

The implementation of the measures would take place at important ports of entry such as Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Mueang International Airport, important provinces as well as border zones nationwide, said the executive.

The bureau had made changes to the immigration laws related to seven professions who would be allowed to work in Thailand once the AEC began, said Pol.Lt.Gen. Sakda.

He added that the bureau was preparing immigration officers for the AEC by developing their skills and competencies.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-15 footer_n.gif

That's good. However, as has already been noted, Thailand's regulatory scheme will prevent all but unskilled workers from actually entering the legal workforce. Protectionism is Thailand's only way of staying competitive in ASEAN.

I can't imagine Sigapore to open the gates for foreign workers, unless unskilled, also.....protectionism is practiced everywhere

"professionals in these fields can move to other Asean countries to practice, but they are still subject to pass that countrys licensing test."

And who wants to bet that all of these licensing tests will be in Thai ?? Though the AEC has already accepted that English will be the commonly used language

"professionals in these fields can move to other Asean countries to practice, but they are still subject to pass that countrys licensing test."

And who wants to bet that all of these licensing tests will be in Thai ?? Though the AEC has already accepted that English will be the commonly used language

I'll bet on that.

From the link I posted above.

“I know of only one Asean non-Thai nurse who has passed the local certification test, and she was part-American but lived in Thailand for a decade,” said Dr Saowaruj. “Keep in mind that the local exams are all in Thai language. And MRAs are still subject to all domestic laws and regulations, such as alien employment rules requiring work permits and the 39 protected professions in which foreigners are not allowed to work. Even the visas we allow for business visitors are different than what Thailand agreed to in GATT.

As I said, AEC in Thailand will be nothing more than a source of happy junkets for the few at the top.

I'll bet on that.

From the link I posted above.

I know of only one Asean non-Thai nurse who has passed the local certification test, and she was part-American but lived in Thailand for a decade, said Dr Saowaruj. Keep in mind that the local exams are all in Thai language. And MRAs are still subject to all domestic laws and regulations, such as alien employment rules requiring work permits and the 39 protected professions in which foreigners are not allowed to work. Even the visas we allow for business visitors are different than what Thailand agreed to in GATT.

As I said, AEC in Thailand will be nothing more than a source of happy junkets for the few at the top.

That second quote is interesting. I thought that whilst professional exams are one thing, that the whole point of this is that the immigration rules for these selected jobs do not apply.

I think Thailand may be in for a shock

Probably a lot more people from the Phillippines coming over since most speak English. Hospital I went to had a large amount of Phillippine staff , administrative and I think a few nurses , that explained procedures and billing to me. Did not know they were not Thai till one of them spoke to me in Spanish (also spoken in Phillippines) Back in USA there are quite a few Pinoys working as dental assistants , teachers and nurses (especially at nursing homes. )

Edited by Tony125

...between now and then, non of the policies will be working so smoothly well if the AEC does fail to add a second language...thai...I guess.

Edited by RisingSun

Very non-specific about what these changes are and what laws have been amended. The Immigration Act has not been amended since 1979, so he may be talking about police orders not laws. I thought they had fixed it so that those professions were all blocked because they need to pass exams in Thai.

No mention of any changes to the Working of Aliens Act or the Royal Decree banning foreigners from being accountants or auditors.