'Cast-in-place' homes - what is this?

I'm looking to buy a house, in a development by http://kkn.co.th in Chiang Mai. The house is built using 'Cast-in-place' does anyone know what this is?

There are 2 small bathrooms adjacent to each other, and I asked if I could knock down the wall between them to make 1 large bathroom. The saleslady said I'd have to ask the engineers that built the house, because its built differently (not using bricks?) but rather one large piece of concrete?

Anybody know what this means? Also, if I did make 1 bathroom from 2, do you think this would devalue the house ? (one of the bathrooms is an ensuite)

Thanks

I'm looking to buy a house, in a development by http://kkn.co.th in Chiang Mai. The house is built using 'Cast-in-place' does anyone know what this is?

There are 2 small bathrooms adjacent to each other, and I asked if I could knock down the wall between them to make 1 large bathroom. The saleslady said I'd have to ask the engineers that built the house, because its built differently (not using bricks?) but rather one large piece of concrete?

Anybody know what this means? Also, if I did make 1 bathroom from 2, do you think this would devalue the house ? (one of the bathrooms is an ensuite)

Thanks

Is the house single storey or higher?

I live in such a house but bigger (3 bed, 3 shower).

I quite like it, but haven't felt the need to knock walls down.

Been a year now, no big problems, but they were a bit slow to connect mains water (11 months) and finish the roads and sidewalks (1 year).

They keep coming round and painting stuff, walls, fences, house at no charge.

http://kkn.co.th/kknname.php?kknname=vision_concept.php

View this page with google chrome, the translation works well and explains the building tech.

The walls are all poured with the electrical conduits already in place.

Build on concrete pillars, so the house shouldn't subside (but that doesn't include the outside drive which can subside).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Before taking down or just making a big opening in any wall, in any kind of building, do you need to find out how the house was structured. If the wall is part of the structural support system you can get into a big problem. For what I can see on the pictures, that may be the case.

Ask the construction company. Probably the sale contract said something about that.

Edited by umbanda

Thanks. The house we're looking at is also 3bedrooms, 3bathrooms. It's because the 2 upstairs bathrooms are so small, that i would prefer to have 1 large bathroom and possibly (somehow) fit a bathtub in. Yes, sure, we'll definitely ask the construction company, I don't want to go breaking the house.

Sorry what does 'The walls are all poured with the electrical conduits already in place.' actually mean? This is a new village in Hangdong, opposite the house it looks like a mass construction site with a lot of building work going on, where the next phase of the village is yet to be finished.

If you look at the link provided by AonotherOneAmerican you can see that the house is poured in one piece.

All the pipes, conduits, rebar etc. are placed inside formwork and the concrete poured to fill the formwork.

Instant (almost) house, great if you want lots of identical homes, not so great for customisation.

The problem is that these homes are like a car monocoque, every element is important in adding to the strength and stiffness of the whole. Unlike the normal (for Thailand) post and beam structure where all the strength and stiffness is in the posts and beams with the walls themselves serving only to fill in the gaps.

You will definitely need the structural man to determine if removing that wall will compromise the structure and what needs to be done to modify the remaining structure to restore its integrity.

• Like 1

If you look at the link provided by AonotherOneAmerican you can see that the house is poured in one piece.

All the pipes, conduits, rebar etc. are placed inside formwork and the concrete poured to fill the formwork.

Instant (almost) house, great if you want lots of identical homes, not so great for customisation.

The problem is that these homes are like a car monocoque, every element is important in adding to the strength and stiffness of the whole. Unlike the normal (for Thailand) post and beam structure where all the strength and stiffness is in the posts and beams with the walls themselves serving only to fill in the gaps.

You will definitely need the structural man to determine if removing that wall will compromise the structure and what needs to be done to modify the remaining structure to restore its integrity.

Right, all walls are load bearing, so an engineer would need to handle any changes. Also, any changes to electrical (and maybe even plumbing) need to be made before construction begins.

Note that it's not really 'cast in place' - these houses are using prefab, as shown in the 3rd photo on their website:

http://kkn.co.th/kknname.php?kknname=vision_concept.php

Edit: sorry, they do also show cast in place lower down on the page. @OP: if you can choose between the two, I'd opt for prefab :)

Edited by IMHO

@IMHO

KKN do not allow the buyer any options, it's buy it as it is or buy elsewhere.

They provide the finished product to you as per their plans.

They won't even change the color of the floor tiles.

As they said to me, "you can do whatever you like once it is finished and transferred to your name".

There are no prefabs to choose, all their homes are poured in place using steel concrete molds.

Photos show various stages of the pour.

@IMHO

KKN do not allow the buyer any options, it's buy it as it is or buy elsewhere.

They provide the finished product to you as per their plans.

They won't even change the color of the floor tiles.

As they said to me, "you can do whatever you like once it is finished and transferred to your name".

There are no prefabs to choose, all their homes are poured in place using steel concrete molds.

Photos show various stages of the pour.

Well, whether or not their "take it or leave it" attitude is good or bad, depends on how well the designs have been thought through I guess - especially when it comes to things like AC points, Satellite TV cabling, GPO locations etc.

If you wanted to change things like floor tiles, you would be better off having none installed in the first place of course.

Odd that they don't do prefab, seeing as it's pitched as being option #1 on their website, with cast in place being option #2.

So long as they get the rebar spacing right (15-35mm from the edge of each wall - not more, not less), use proper concrete rattlers to insure there's no air bubbles/traps, and those steel forms stay on for 28 days after pouring (or if removed sooner, are replaced with plastic or some other curing aid), the cast in place option would be fine.

Precast panels are usually cast horizontally, and use jigs and spacers for rebar, so doesn't have the same problems with rebar spacing problems or air gaps. The downside is, because it's already finished by the time you see it, you can never be sure whether it was cured properly.

Edited by IMHO

I don't t expect them to make structural changes before buying, and I understand that its 'buy it as it is', but I just want to know if physically this is even possible without breaking the house (which I will ask the construction people about), and also about the possibility of extending.

I don't t expect them to make structural changes before buying, and I understand that its 'buy it as it is', but I just want to know if physically this is even possible without breaking the house (which I will ask the construction people about), and also about the possibility of extending.

50% of their buyers extend to the limit of the land.

Expect a wall against your side and rear fences.

not 1" from the fence, but on the fence.

• Like 1

If more than 2 people will normally be using the upstairs bathrooms, maybe consider making one a toilet/sink only and the other with shower or bath. I had that arrangement for many years and it was really convenient, especially in mornings when everybody is trying to get ready at the same time.

One other problem with this type of house is lack of heat insulation. Concrete holds the heat and radiates it back out in the evening. And as others have said no structural changes. If I was buying I would look for a development using Qcon or Superblock.

No, the heat insulation is fine, downstairs is good all the time, upstairs a bit hot around 4-7pm, if you don't open the windows. A bit of loft insulation and a vent in the loft (on my to do list) will make things just right.

I think I have the identical house to the one the OP is looking at (cast from the same mold).

3 bed, 3 shower, 145M2. 5 living in my house, no need to modify anything.

Pretty good value for 1.8MBht.

One other problem with this type of house is lack of heat insulation. Concrete holds the heat and radiates it back out in the evening. And as others have said no structural changes. If I was buying I would look for a development using Qcon or Superblock.

No, the heat insulation is fine, downstairs is good all the time, upstairs a bit hot around 4-7pm, if you don't open the windows. A bit of loft insulation and a vent in the loft (on my to do list) will make things just right.

I think I have the identical house to the one the OP is looking at (cast from the same mold).

3 bed, 3 shower, 145M2. 5 living in my house, no need to modify anything.

I live in a similar house but smaller (Pruksa) and disagree. Compared to a Superblock house concrete houses are not as good for insulation.

Maybe your house developer uses insulation between inner and outer wall, not sure.