Syder Bay Premium Crafted Cider. Really?

AyG

I've read that Singha Corporation has launched a new alcoholic drink which it describes as "Premium Crafted Cider". I have yet to see it on the shelves, but was wondering whether anybody has tried it yet? If it really is cider (i.e. pure fermented apple juice) it would make a nice change from the ridiculously expensive imported stuff - even if it's only fit for cooking Pork à la Normande. However, I rather suspect (this being Thailand) it will taste like nothing of the sort.

Any experiences to report?

The drink's Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/syderbay?fref=nf

having graduated 55yrs ago,first on home made scrumpy untill now i am studying thatchers and john keppers.

being born in between somerset and hereford both cider countries i have tried just about all that is on offer.

before moving to thailand i did travel around the food festivals and yes there is some decent brews about,

one of my favourite was brewed in a shed in south wales[church village] GWYNT-A-DYRG]

last yr i sent an e-mail to the brewers of chang telling them there is an opertunity to hit the market big time in thailand by producing cider.well it looks like they have been trumped by the singha corp.

so who is going to be the first to sample this new kid on the block but what i have read its only 3.5% mind you thats enough for the thai market.

all my inlaws love a can of cider expecially mrs meat,her days in the uk.she found happiness in a pint of strongbow.

the only problem i would see in thailand is the growing of a good apple the one the pigs like BITTER SWEET]

we boys that like our pork i can tell you pigs that roam arround an apple orchard produce a fine tasting meat.

as for this new brew with ice looks like cattering for women.bah.gif

Edited by meatboy

Think about Magners in the U,K. only consumed with the glass full of Ice, previously had a pub and it was a nightmare keeping up with the Ice requirement for Magners during the summer.

magners not even in my top 50.got stuck with it on the isle of kos,loverly isle,great food,[even pucka pies] great poeple but that cider.bah.gif

• 1 month later...

I just tried it, at a bar, they had an offer, only 50B, why not, I like cider, even Magners is fine (we call it Bulmers).

It's terrible. Utterly utterly terrible. And I like Chang. Even Lao Khao, at least it's honest.

You can smell it from the neck of the bottle, an overpowering "bubblegum" sort of extremely sweet aroma, and you are right on the mark with "alcopop", that is exactly what it is like. I knew even before it hit my throat.

The 275ml and 3.5% was also a surprise, but fundamentally this just isn't a good cider. In fact, I suspect it isn't even a cider at all, the ingredients state "a blend of the premium crafted cider fruit wine, apple juice, sparkling water and other natural ingredients". Cider, AFAIK, should only be the first of those.