Unstable Footwear

UncleDonald

Uncle Donald accepts the need to remove footwear in Thai houses including his own quarters even though this sometimes seems like a lot of effort for a rather thin return. However finding slippers or sandals that are easy to take on and off but don't slip off unpredictably and sometimes under alarming circumstances (eg running down stairs) has not been possible. The Thai never seem to have this problem, and Uncle Donald wonders whether his physiology or manner of locomotion are somehow defective. Are any of the members similarly troubled or has anyone found a solution, say applying adhesive substances to the bottom of the feet or special footwear designed for this condition? Thanks much for any help.

Image shows one of many unsuccessful efforts.post-21141-1153822481.gif

Judging by the photo the problem is that your legs are upside down! :D Did anyone else get dizzy looking at the picture from that angle? A 180 degree rotation would sort out the photo, a bic razor for the legs and an industrial staplegun for the slippers, problem solved.

The thais that I have met don't seem to lift their feet very much when wearing slippers, preferring to skate across the floor instead. Not sure how that technique can be applied to stairs without resulting in two broken legs though.

Sorry for being about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

:o

go barefoot

I actually have to agree with Donz on this one. Much more comfortable being barefoot IMHO. I have never worn slippers since i was a kid. Must be an older thing? :o Slippers, pipe and rocking chair? :D:D

Edited by Jockstar

go barefoot

I actually have to agree with Donz on this one. Much more comfortable being barefoot IMHO. I have never worn slippers since i was a kid. Must be an older thing? :o Slippers, pipe and rocking chair? :D:D

I agree. There I was trying to give advice to the OP sat in my computer chair, barefoot as usual. Donz hit the nail on the head.

I've never really seen the need for indoor footwear in a hot country.

we are always barefoot in the house!

outside footware depends on where I am going .. good sandals with a backstrap for the motorcycle ... loafers for in town / temple / etc

runners for the daily walks! Just got some from the US sent to me that are vented underneath and on thee sides! No Sweat! so to speak ...

sadly only the sandals are ok for the rain!

Uncle Donald accepts the need to remove footwear in Thai houses including his own quarters even though this sometimes seems like a lot of effort for a rather thin return. However finding slippers or sandals that are easy to take on and off but don't slip off unpredictably and sometimes under alarming circumstances (eg running down stairs) has not been possible. The Thai never seem to have this problem, and Uncle Donald wonders whether his physiology or manner of locomotion are somehow defective. Are any of the members similarly troubled or has anyone found a solution, say applying adhesive substances to the bottom of the feet or special footwear designed for this condition? Thanks much for any help.

Image shows one of many unsuccessful efforts.post-21141-1153822481.gif

Okay, first off Uncle David you seem to accept the need to remove footwear in Thai houses, however, you are wearing footwear inside Thai houses.

That is the start of your problems.

You need to identify the problem:

Do you need footwear that is easily removed when entering a Thai house?

Or:

Do you need footwear that is not considered footwear that you can wear inside the house?

Yes, I have had similar problems but cannot help you Uncle David until you know what

your problem really is.

Please clarify.

Okay, first off Uncle David you seem to accept the need to remove footwear in Thai houses, however, you are wearing footwear inside Thai houses.

Or:

Do you need footwear that is not considered footwear that you can wear inside the house?

Yes, I have had similar problems but cannot help you Uncle David until you know what

your problem really is.

Please clarify.

Uncle Donald thanks the respondents and confesses to confused criteria. Persistent culture shock.

The slippers were necessary in this case because the floors in this rural house are rather splintery. Otherwise the bare feet solution is brilliant.

The same problem exists, maybe worse, in switching to the "outside" footgear.

Some American tourists were seen wearing some kind of plastic shoes with holes, they said they were fashionable in places like Denver Colorado. You could slip them on and off, but they had a little back to them. Quite ugly, reminiscent of an illustration of shoes of red-hot heated iron which Cinderella's sisters were required to wear for the amusement of the happy bride and Prince (original version of story). But possibly effective for padding around the property??

Edited by UncleDonald

Or:

your problem really is.

Please clarify.

Uncle Donald thanks the respondents and confesses to confused criteria. Persistent culture shock.

The slippers were necessary in this case because the floors in this rural house are rather splintery. Otherwise the bare feet solution is brilliant.

The same problem exists, maybe worse, in switching to the "outside" footgear.

Some American tourists were seen wearing some kind of plastic shoes with holes, they said they were fashionable in places like Denver Colorado. You could slip them on and off, but they had a little back to them. Quite ugly, reminiscent of an illustration of shoes of red-hot heated iron which Cinderella's sisters were required to wear for the amusement of the happy bride and Prince (original version of story). But possibly effective for padding around the property??

Dear Uncle David;

I'm still not clear on your needs. Do you need something that is good just for inside?

Or something that is good for both inside and outside?

If that is the case why is the concern for taking them off easily when coming in?

Well anyway, David...how about something along this line...huaraches?pachuco_natural_pair.jpg

I hear Euro-weenies find them fashinable.

They come in a variety of colors.

I'm still not clear on your needs. Do you need something that is good just for inside?

Or something that is good for both inside and outside?

If that is the case why is the concern for taking them off easily when coming in?

Well anyway, David...how about something along this line...huaraches?pachuco_natural_pair.jpg

I hear Euro-weenies find them fashinable.

They come in a variety of colors.

In old Thailand it is customary to remove outside shoes at the door entrance and either go barefoot or wear "indoor" slippers or rubber thongs inside. So one has to find two kinds of footwear, one good for wet and mud, the other for wood floors (unless the preferred barefoot idea works ok). The Huaraches are an interesting idea, but might be a little hard to clean when covered with mud (their habitat is usually desert country, I believe.) If one is constantly moving in and out it's an inconvience to be tyeing laces all the time. The Thai usually do with backless sandals which tend to fall off in my experience.

Thanks for the interest and help.

Uncle D, please forgive my saying so but that is some fairly hideous footwear you're sporting in the photo. I suggest a trip to the Big C and search the flip flop sector for the Adda brand -- they've usually got a velcro top strap that you can adjust so the mofos won't fly off at inopportune moments. I got a couple pair and they're downright comfy, not to mention a heckuvalot sportier than those bloody bedroom slippers you've got. Great in the mud besides... just splash em off after emerging from the muck and you're good to go.

In old Thailand it is customary to remove outside shoes at the door entrance and either go barefoot or wear "indoor" slippers or rubber thongs inside. So one has to find two kinds of footwear, one good for wet and mud, the other for wood floors (unless the preferred barefoot idea works ok). The Huaraches are an interesting idea, but might be a little hard to clean when covered with mud (their habitat is usually desert country, I believe.) If one is constantly moving in and out it's an inconvience to be tyeing laces all the time. The Thai usually do with backless sandals which tend to fall off in my experience.

Thanks for the interest and help.

Dear Uncle David;

Now we are getting somewhere, so you are looking for footwear to be worn soley (no pun intended)

inside the house that will:

1. protect your feet from wood splinters

2. not slip off while you are running around inside.

First I would like point out that you should not be running inside the house and I certainly hope you

are not carrying scissors when you do that.

Next, since this footwear is for inside use only, why not reconsider the Huaraches?

Certainly you have no mud inside your house do you?

You will only get them mucky if you wear them outside.

We can get you outside shoes later.

Best if you just stay inside for now.

If the Huarache is a bit too much shoe for you inside perhaps something along the line of

skateboard wear like this Vans slip-ons?

z12098235.jpg

Here is another idea, they are called KungFu shoes:

Light weight, good bottom grip and if you get right size should stay on while doing KungFu

while running down stairs.

cl-sh-28.jpg

Judging by the photo the problem is that your legs are upside down! :D Did anyone else get dizzy looking at the picture from that angle? A 180 degree rotation would sort out the photo, a bic razor for the legs and an industrial staplegun for the slippers, problem solved.

post-2263-1154187791.jpg

:o