retirement visas for foreigner working in Thailand 20 years

Hello, I was wondering if there are any special provisions in place that might provide easier access to a retirement visa for a foreigner who's worked in Thailand for 20 years or more (as a licensed, accredited teacher), with a Thai wife and children born here.

Thank you,

There is no retirement visa you can get here in Thailand. You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement or one based upon your marriage to a Thai.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon teaching you could change your reason for your extension to marriage or retirement.

For marriage you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in you name only for 60 days or proof of an income of 40k baht,

For retirement it is 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income.

There is no retirement visa you can get here in Thailand. You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement or one based upon your marriage to a Thai.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon teaching you could change your reason for your extension to marriage or retirement.

For marriage you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in you name only for 60 days or proof of an income of 40k baht,

can a b visa be changed to a retirement extension of stay in country or does one have to leave and return to get it ?

can a b visa be changed to a retirement extension of stay in country or does one have to leave and return to get it ?

You cannot change visa types unless it is from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa.

The category (B, O, ED, and etc) of non immigrant visas only reflect the reason for getting them.

Extensions based upon working/teaching and retirement both require a non immigrant visa entry to get them.

All that needs to be done is to change the reason for the extension of stay.

After 20 years stay, a Thai wife and Thai children, why don't you apply for a Residence permit? I know it can take years for it to be processed and granted, in the meantime you should apply for an extension of stay as a spouse of a Thai national!

• Like 1

800K in bank for 90 days.

Working in Thailand 20 years and married with kids.

In my humble ( not an expert ) opinion the only way to stay for you is to go the way of Permanent residency or Thai Citizenship.

It seem you have everything needed for the Permanent residency and then no need to provide income every year.

"After 20 years stay, a Thai wife and Thai children, why don't you apply for a Residence permit?"

In my opinion, anyone married and meeting the financial requirement should go straight to citizenship. Much easier, less time and much less cost.

Of course doing an extension for retirement is pretty easy.

• Like 1

After 20 years in thailand its time for you to find a nice new destination for retirement !

try to find one which will give you better visa conditions for retirement !

The man is married to a Thai lady with Thai children. Do you suggest Cambodia, Myanmar or Laos. I am sure they'd rather be nearer their families here in Thailand. retirement is relatively simple as is extension for marriage reasons..

Stay in the country

I have lived here in Thailand for more than 30 years.

Married to a Thai, have 2 grown up children (both holding Thai citizenship as both born here in Thailand). Got my PR more than 20 years ago.

Not that easy to apply for Thai citizenship. I have submitted my application to the Songkhla Provincial Police station which is still gathering dust there for about 4 years already. Last I checked, the status is that it is still sitting and gathering dust in that very police station.

I think the OP is saying he wants to retire. So Permanent Residence or Citizenship are out of the question as both require you to keep working throughout the whole process which can take 5 or 6 years or more to complete.

Your correct. I have Permanent Residency and you need to figure on being able to stay on the same work permit and one year visa for 6 years.

I think the OP is saying he wants to retire. So Permanent Residence or Citizenship are out of the question as both require you to keep working throughout the whole process which can take 5 or 6 years or more to complete.

Your correct. I have Permanent Residency and you need to figure on being able to stay on the same work permit and one year visa for 6 years.

Apply for citizenship. You qualify and it doesn't necessarily take so long, although it can (2-5+ yrs from application to ID card), The rules have changed and you don't need to first hold PR.
While waiting, switch to Cat O based on marriage. Go for PR if your existing nationality doesn't allow dual citizenship, Based on your status, retirement stay is a cost you don't need to incur.

There is no requirement to keep working. Retired people can get Permanent Residency but most cannot show a history of tax payment.

Apply for citizenship. You qualify and it doesn't necessarily take so long, although it can (2-5+ yrs from application to ID card), The rules have changed and you don't need to first hold PR.

While waiting, switch to Cat O based on marriage. Go for PR if your existing nationality doesn't allow dual citizenship, Based on your status, retirement stay is a cost you don't need to incur.

My application has been frozen at the very initial spot. The 1st. person in charge kicked the bucket 3 years ago and now the 2nd guy is just sitting on it.

Approached him several times and also went to see his superior but to no avail. Keep on giving excuses that he has got other workloads to attend to and will work on my files "next week"; it's been more than 20 "next week"

Anybody can suggest a better option or approach to initiate the citizenship application process?

Thanks for all advise.

My application has been frozen at the very initial spot. The 1st. person in charge kicked the bucket 3 years ago and now the 2nd guy is just sitting on it.

Approached him several times and also went to see his superior but to no avail. Keep on giving excuses that he has got other workloads to attend to and will work on my files "next week"; it's been more than 20 "next week"

Anybody can suggest a better option or approach to initiate the citizenship application process?

Thanks for all advise.

I assume you applied at the Special Branch police office not the ordinary police office.

You could contact the Special Branch police section that handles citizenship applications and complain to them. They might be able to get your local office moving.

• Like 1

Choonsan, I'd repeat UbonJoe's suggestion. My application, albiet some years ago, was thru Special Branch section handling citizenship at RTP HQ at Patumwan. Very helpful and professional, no graft, and followed it through to conclusion. If you have applied elsewhere, you could refer your application to that office for follow up.

My longest delay was several months between interview at Interior Ministry and gazetting of approval. Total processing time ~ 12 mos, excluding a 4-yr absence from Thailand after lodging application (and during which I let PR lapse). I simply revived it on return and was called for the Interior Ministry interview a few months later.

Thanks for all advise.

I assume you applied at the Special Branch police office not the ordinary police office.

You could contact the Special Branch police section that handles citizenship applications and complain to them. They might be able to get your local office moving.

Thanks Chatette for the advise.

Yes, the application was submitted to the Special Branch. And yes, I did approach the Chief there and seek his assistance. But too bad, he retired in Sept.

Now will try to approach the new Chief there once he settles into his new posting there.

A good question.

I will be in same position in a couple of years. Worked here, paid taxes for 23 years, & nearly ready to settle down into

retirement with my Thai wife.

Would like to hear if any dispensations for us older fellas

Thanks

There are none. You are treated exactly the same as somebody that has married yesterday, or turned 50 today and put foot in Thailand for the first time.

This is incorrect. Neither Permanent Residence, nor Citizenship application require you to carry on working whilst your application is being considered. Where did you get this information from?

This is incorrect. Neither Permanent Residence, nor Citizenship application require you to carry on working whilst your application is being considered. Where did you get this information from?

Go post that at:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

Even better, have a read before you write.

Go post that at:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

He said he was required to have his salary slips. He did not say working is a requirement. Yes Tax Terurn history is but Cameratas rather old and personal report is not a statement of the law or requirements. In fact there have been quite a few changes since Camarata got his PR.

Go post that at:

He said he was required to have his salary slips. He did not say working is a requirement. Yes Tax Terurn history is but Cameratas rather old and personal report is not a statement of the law or requirements. In fact there have been quite a few changes since Camarata got his PR.

For PR you do not have to remain working during the approval process. Nothing has really changed for PR since he got his.

For citizenship you do have to remain working during the approval process.