Thai PM faces protest on first outing on world stage

webfact

Thai PM faces protest on first outing on world stage
Milan, Italy | AFP |

MILAN: -- Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha is expected to be greeted by protests Thursday as he makes his first outing on the world stage since seizing power in a military coup in May.

The head of the junta is due in Milan for the ASEM summit of European and Asian leaders to the fury of democracy activists, who have urged the European Union to increase its pressure on the regime.

Several hundred protesters are expected to take part in a number of demonstrations in the northern Italian city, one of which will be addressed by exiled Thai academic and activist Junya Yimprasert.

"There is no sign that Prayut has any intention of allowing Thailand to return to the democratic process," Yimprasert told AFP on Wednesday.

"The EU should not have given him a visa to travel here and they should not be engaging with him. They should be telling him to restore democracy in Thailand immediately."

Prayut, 60, retired from the army at the end of last month and has said he plans to implement reforms and rid Thailand of corruption before organising elections.

The EU has been sharply critical of the military's latest intervention in Thai politics. The bloc suspended official visits to and from Thailand after the May coup and put a proposed new cooperation agreement with the Southeast Asian state on ice.

Despite the sanctions, EU governments agreed last month that there would be little point in preventing Prayut from attending the ASEM summit.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-10-16

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlike Thailand he cannot control the media in Europe, it will not be a pleasant trip for him and it may show him just how outlawed he really is in the world. Hoiep he speaks his mind and gets castigated by the worlds press.

• Like 1

He will enjoy himself in Italy,

feeling of sheer impotence in the face

get to work restoring Thailand's credibility.

Ummm... he is in Italy.... impotence is not an option!

If he were a little south west, it would be omnipotence, which is not an option either

Rid Thailand of corruption, what a joke. He just rewarded the Koh Tao police for thier activities. He is a huge supporter of corruption and getting what he wants by any means.

I gotta eat crow on this one. I really thought this guy would bring change. It's like Obama all over again. I should've knownfacepalm.gif

Personally I feel its still early days yet, BUT I think the litmus test is going to be revealed by the action taken (if any) re; the Koh Tao murders.

Is there a connection with this so called activist and the Shins ???? The PM has not appeared on that stage YET the headline of the topic is wrong.

EXPECTED---is different.

Anyone can stage a pre organized protest, and then make out it is going to happen before it does. Propaganda Dubai comes to mind. I see no problem with a protest as long as the protesters are clean themselves----If it has Dubai connections how dare they protest, they have warped memories.

• Like 1

He will be the pariah at this meeting, to be avoided at all costs. Welcome to the real world Prayut!

I understand your sentiment but the reality is likely to be more prosaic.

1.He will be received politely by the heads of delegations.Thailand is a friendly country and most will believe dialogue better than confrontation - even with the Junta.As long as the Junta doesn't start killing its own people, stability is valued more than human rights.

2.There will be private pleas for an early return to democracy, elections and freedom of expression.The Junta leadership will lie through its teeth saying these too are its objectives, but time is needed.

3.There will be small protests by activists well away from the ASEM participants.

4.Photographs will be taken of Prayuth together with Barroso and other key leaders.These will have much exposure in the Thai press.They mean nothing but great significance will be placed on them by the Junta - not to mention our in house cheerleaders.

5.The Junta's spokesman will say foreign leaders now have a much better understanding of why the coup was necessary.

6.In short, nothing too significant or surprising.

Meanwhile in Thailand itself the pressure grows day by day.

Congratulations on a thoughtfully crafted post, with a minimum of simplistic cynicism. A rarity these days.

• Like 1