Koh Larn: The Best Bits Please

NanLaew

I have the tribe in town during school hols and an island trip would seem like a nice day out. I haven't been there since some time in the '80's!

The kids range from 7 to 16 so I am looking for recommendations on the best beach on the island as well as the ins and outs of getting there, times and places for the ferry boat, costs, etc..

Thanks,

NL

Hay Nan

I just let a post about this yesterday.

I think Kho Larn has changed quite a bit. There's a lot more tourists but still plenty of space, both on deck chairs or if you want to lay lots of towels down!

A 15 minuet speed boat ride there costs 400 tb return per person. The ferry is 30 tb each (I think one way) and once you have pulled in to port you can get a baht buss to any beach again 30 tb per person.

I would recommend bringing food as the restaurants and shops on that island are quite expensive especially for 7!

Cheers Toby, There's 4 kids and 2 grownups. I think the ferry would be best. Is that the one that leaves from Bali Hai? I assume it berths at only one place on the island and the baht buses take you to your final destination.

Recommend you get the ferry directly from Bali Hai to the main beach, Tawaen. To the right of the main beach is a quieter beach with a lot less crowds. There are other alternative beaches that you might like to check out at:

http://kohlarn.com/

Ferries etc...

http://kohlarn.com/getting.htm

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Cheers Toby, There's 4 kids and 2 grownups. I think the ferry would be best. Is that the one that leaves from Bali Hai? I assume it berths at only one place on the island and the baht buses take you to your final destination.

Recommend you get the ferry directly from Bali Hai to the main beach, Tawaen. To the right of the main beach is a quieter beach with a lot less crowds. There are other alternative beaches that you might like to check out at:

http://kohlarn.com/

Ferries etc...

http://kohlarn.com/getting.htm

Thanks for the links. I had a quick look at that the day I posted and it was updated last April so it should still be valid.

I was wondering if there was anyone else with personal preferences as we will probably head there tomorrow (he says watching the increased chance of afternoon precipitation...)

I have taken the ferry and I have taken speed boats. I recommend a speed boat. It saves the trip down to the pier which may or not be easier for you depending where you are staying. The ferry is an OK ride but sometimes can be a bit crowded. The Ferry drops you off in the crowded place packed tightly with the lounge chairs and the touts there are vocal about telling you where they think you have to sit. The speed boat should be able to take you to the less crowded beach. One of my best days was on my first trip to Thailand where a gal showed me the speed boat thingy and we had a nice quiet area. We were still able to order the basic food there, shrimp or crab fried rice etc. Really didn't need much more. Plenty of room on the speed boat for a picnic basket. Bring some fruit and beverages if you want. 1500 baht just a few years ago was what I paid for the speed boat again with my buddy and his gal. We just walked down to the beach road in front of the Hard Rock hotel. No planning, no reservation.

GK

• Like 1

Ferries depart 0700 & 1000 hrs at Bali Hai pier.

Cost was 40 baht/adult last time I went.

Ask the taxi guy on Koh Larn how Had Nual is. It's the quietest, but if the tide is way out, then loads of rocks & not much beach...Ask Mee Naam Maak Mai? (Have Lot's of water?). The taxi guys there have all been pretty cool to me and tell me if Had Nual is low tide & I've been dozens of times.

Best time I ever went to Had Nual was in early January, but I'm no expert on the tides.

If it's in, then it's the best beach for a family outing.

Had Samae is nice year round, just a lot bigger.

Tawaen beach is clogged with a bazillion Chinese tour boats coming and going all day long... Still a nice beach though.

Ferries leave Bali Hai pier at the south end of Walking Street every hour or two. You have to walk out to the end of the pier and pay 20 baht to the village, (not recommended) or 30 baht to one of two beaches on the far side of the island. The first stop is the best, with a nice beach and lots of shops and restaurants, .. and you you disembark at a pier. The second beach has nothing but beach and must go by small boat from ferry to beach. I recommend you go early morning as the last ferry back is well before dark, ..... or you can stay overnight if you like

Get the early ferry (7am) from Bali Hi Pier to Na Ban Pier, journey time around 45 minutes. The next ferry is over two hours later, which coupled with the journey time would mean you arrive towards the end of the morning and lose a lot of the day. The fare on the ferry is 30 Baht each way. I only ever go to Tay Aiy beach, its small, usually quite quiet, and in the main free from the hordes of Jet Ski's/speed boats. You can get a motorbike taxi, or a baht bus, the fare used to be 30 Baht each way (Per person), but I think now its gone up to 50Bt. On that basis you might consider hiring two motorcycles, (one adult , two kids on each), at a cost of 200 Bt per motorbike hire it not only makes a saving for you on transport costs (6 persons on baht bus one way 300 bt), but also gives you flexibility to move around the island and visit other beaches if you wish. There is a 711 at Na Ban pier so to save carrying heavy items such as water from your hotel/accomodation, you can buy them when you get to the island. When arriving at Tayaiy beach turn to your left and walk to the end of the beach (50 Metres) there you will find some trees that will afford you some shade, but you will need to have a beach mat or the like to sit on. The trees also serve as an excellent 'washing line for drying clothes. If you want to do a little 'exploring' you can walk further along the shore (sea on your left) which will take you to the 'tip' or one end of the island and views towards Pattaya. The motocycle hire shop usually like the bikes returned around 5pm which is a good time to take the return ferry. If the tide does recede at tayaiy beach, then if snorkling you will be able to see coral and quite a lot of marine life in less than 1.5 metres of water.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Many, many thanks for all the input and info regards sail times, costs and beach recommendations.

The early ferry is ideal but getting my lazy buggers out of bed much before 9 AM is a challenge so we may opt for a speed boat. Better for parking too as a friend of mine says that he got blocked in by tour buses at Bali Hai when he came back and had to hang around for a while with tired and cranky kids wanting to go home!

I have the tribe in town during school hols and an island trip would seem like a nice day out. I haven't been there since some time in the '80's!

The kids range from 7 to 16 so I am looking for recommendations on the best beach on the island as well as the ins and outs of getting there, times and places for the ferry boat, costs, etc..

Thanks,

NL

. Samae Beach is my Fave, absolutely Beautiful...

My recommendation is "Don't go there". What for ? It's just a beach and it's hot. Go to another beach in, say, Jomtien, far simpler and everything available. Better still, stay away from beaches and hot weather. How very boring.

Many, many thanks for all the input and info regards sail times, costs and beach recommendations.

The early ferry is ideal but getting my lazy buggers out of bed much before 9 AM is a challenge so we may opt for a speed boat. Better for parking too as a friend of mine says that he got blocked in by tour buses at Bali Hai when he came back and had to hang around for a while with tired and cranky kids wanting to go home!

Yeah forget about parking around Bali Hai. They used to have a 'secure' parking area (where you pay) just south of & behind the Siam Bayshore hotel.

I used to park up in Tipp Plaza for 40 baht a day, up near the police station & grab a baht bus to Walking street & walk from there.

You might try parking at the Tukom parking garage. Drop the family at the pier & go park there. It's not free, but is reasonable.

Ahhhh....I long for the days, not really all that long ago, when the old rickety wooden pier was the only way to get the ferry, back in 2001.

I NEVER saw a Russian back then (nothing against Russians), quite a few Chinese, but they all went to Tawaen Beach.

My wife & I could go to Samae or Nual beaches & they were perfectly non-developed.

Now Samae has municipal toilets (that don't work) & showers (bucket of ice water Thai shower style) & they want to charge you 30 baht to go inside just to change clothes.

Beach chairs were 20 baht for the day.

The locals made fast friends with me & my wife, so we continued to return.

If you go to Samae, look for the center-most concession on the beach & ask for Mr. Song.

He speaks great English and is an old friend of mine. Super nice guy.

I've been out there dozens & dozens of times (although not recently) & the taxi drivers may seem a bit pushy when you get off the ferry, but I've always been polite and they have always returned the favor.

I even went out there once by myself & got STUPID DRUNK....I had rented a room at the far left end of Had Samae as you are facing the beach & intended to stay the night.

I kicked back on the beach, not a soul around, staring at the stars, bombed out of my brain....& woke up the next day, covered in sand back in my room....I didn't get there on my own.

Somebody drug (as in dragged me - not drugged me) me up there & plopped me down on my bunk.

Mind you this was 13 years ago.

No matter how you decide to get there, either bring your own life jackets or at least locate them as soon as you get on any boat in Pattaya.

I'd MUCH rather drop a few hundred baht on my family's safety than rely on the garbage life jackets they have on most Thai watercraft.

My recommendation is "Don't go there". What for ? It's just a beach and it's hot. Go to another beach in, say, Jomtien, far simpler and everything available. Better still, stay away from beaches and hot weather. How very boring.

are you really comparing Koh Larn and Jomtien, you must be Mad...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Yes.... aren't you just?

• Like 1

Thanks for the links and tips. Dropped off the tribe at the jetty and parked elsewhere. Caught the 10AM ferry and all the kids were in the water at Samae well before lunch. Lovely time, clear water and since we brought our own, pre-cooked koong and other stuff, we only needed to get khao pat and water from the beach concession and they were happy with that. Back at Bali Hai for 5:30PM and home for 6PM.

The total head count was 7 and total tab was around 1200 baht on the beach for loungers and food plus 420 for the ferry and the same charges for the songtaews. I would reckon that it's a must-do for the next school holiday or at least once per month just for the cleanliness of the water.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links and tips. Dropped off the tribe at the jetty and parked elsewhere. Caught the 10AM ferry and all the kids were in the water at Samae well before lunch. Lovely time, clear water and since we brought our own, pre-cooked koong and other stuff, we only needed to get khao pat and water from the beach concession and they were happy with that. Back at Bali Hai for 5:30PM and home for 6PM.

The total head count was 7 and total tab was around 1200 baht on the beach for loungers and food plus 420 for the ferry and the same charges for the songtaews. I would reckon that it's a must-do for the next school holiday or at least once per month just for the cleanliness of the water.

. Kicks Butt over Jomtien,Love Samae was it busy at all, any Russians ?

• 1 month later...