I'm NOT loving it or how McD's makes you feel bad

PFYT

Since I don't speak Thai properly, the online ordering websites in English for ordering food are a blessing. I'm posting this to let others know about the inherent mistake that one will make about McD's McDelivery system so that they don't get dun out like I did.

I made my order this morning as usual, and when I went to checkout, there was a promotional offer on this page. I selected this and learned that I could get 5 pieces of chicken free (normal cost 169 baht) if one pays with a Visa credit card. I was then immediately brought to the payment page and then I used my Visa although I've always paid cash before as it's simpler.

When my order arrived, there was no freebie, and I called up the branch that made the delivery. I was passed around for 8 minutes and then asked to make my complaint to the call center at 1711. The lady who answered was insistent that it was my mistake because I should have selected the full pay version of the chicken in the original menu pages, and then the discount would be given after I paid with the Visa card.

This crucial step of some form of "Indian-giving" was not explained in the run-up to the payment. I selected the promotion and then was led straight to the payment page. Retroactively, I now understood the procedure but I felt I was still entitled to the freebie. No dice.

I then e-mailed McD's (the e-mail address for complaints is [email protected] if you're interested) about my unhappiness with their online ordering setup, and how their procedure appeared to be a bait and switch - the freebie is offered and it's not made clear that there's a hidden step to be undertaken on their website (one has to backtrack to select the paid option which will be knocked off after paying with Visa).

I've just got a call from McD's local hq and it was just some more waste of time - the customer didn't do the steps correctly and the customer can feel cheated but McD's won't bother to do any damage control. There wasn't a real apology as the purpose of this call was to underscore how the customer was wrong and McD's had no interest in helping the customer feel better.

This is an awfully small matter, and I don't salivate for McD's fried chicken, but it is a endemic problem here that there appears to be no common sense in handling customers who are left feeling small or disgruntled. Anybody else has any similar stories? Visa...are you hearing?

• Like 1

Sadly, I feel this way about almost everything here. I totally relate to his story. It may not be a big deal of course, but cumulatively it really is a big deal. The irony is that it isn't so much about us as consumers that's the problem. The problem lays in how long it will take Thailand to realize that flourishing businesses essentially thrive on satisfied customers, especially with today's social media.

When Thailand finally realizes this fact, it will grow at an astounding rate in my opinion.

• Like 1

If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt - but I can't be bothered to check and submit myself to McD propaganda - :)), then you have just encountered false advertising. The advertising laws in Thailand are pretty vague, but you have a case to put before the small claims tribunal - which does exist within the Consumer Affairs Department, but you'll have more luck getting satisfaction from the local Mickey Ds. Which appears to be none. Go global. Threaten to sue. McD is a very litigious company, but they also are very wary of being sued (anyone remember the famous hot coffee in the lap lawsuit?).

Go for it. Slip Muckey D a mickey finn.

I order in sometimes when me and the wife cant be bothered with dinner (BKK) I'll tell you what, we are absolutely spoiled for choice with the two main online food delivery companies. Ordering MC Donalds is the absolute bottom of the food chain. Why.

My biggest pet peeve about mcdonalds is the same person that takes your order behind the counter also packs the order. She packs it as other people are waiting in line to order that is! So while she packs it there are people standing there with their thumbs up their asses waiting in liine, while they could be sitting down enjoying the 5 star ambiance smile.png knowing their order is being taken care of..... big difference between a customer standing in line waiting and knowing their order is not "in" yet, and a customer waiting and can sit or do as they please and knowing the order is being taken care of.

Very simple solution one is a dedicated to taking orders and there is a second employee who packs the orders. This seems beyond them and for the life of me I have never been able to figure out why they can't see this would make them more of the almighty baht. If they knew that I know they would do it.

I have run a small business and while this may seem like a small detail to some, I consider it an absolute abomination of efficiency. The weirdest part is Thai businesses seem to have way too many employees behind counters, yet they have no idea how to efficiently use them. It is like double stupidity, really there is no other way to describe it. Have you guys noticed, there are 8 employees behind a little counter, all of them running into each other, and none of them have any idea of what to do! If it were me and I were going to make an error it would be to hire too few employees and be inefficient that way. The way they do it is worst of both worlds.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

^^^ I suggest you eat at Carl's Jr restaurants

The staff brings the order to your stool/table/stall

The food is much better (and nutritious), the selection is to die for, and the clientele are a 'cut above' the usual riff-raff that frequent McDonald's...

edit: they deliver for all you shy, anti-social, shut-ins out there

Edited by cloghead
  • Like 1

^^^ I suggest you eat at Carl's Jr restaurants

The staff brings the order to your stool/table/stall

The food is much better (and nutritious), the selection is to die for, and the clientele are a 'cut above' the usual riff-raff that frequent McDonald's...

OUIII, you calling me riff raff.........?...............I/me have eaten at one of my Queens castles.....BUT, I do like a McD now and again, open your horizons to folk.........coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Op, a market hawker just tried to short change me (probably thinking I didn't understand Thai). And by the look she had, she knew that I knew her game. Result, I'll always buy from the people next to her in future. Vote with your feet. Having said that, with your predicament, I'd be more inclined to local incompetence than a Maccie D's thing. Trivial issues, no doubt, but don't let it grind you down, keep an eye open to stay ahead of the game and smile in their face. ;)

As we are moaning, my local McD's cannot put a BigMac together properly, and it is never hot. I always ask at the counter, HOT (ron), it hasn't got through to them yet, so now l rarely go there....sad.png

Yeah, but you cant place an order, then go for a Chang somewhere and come back 2 hrs later, and ask if it's hot....cheesy.gif

As we are moaning, my local McD's cannot put a BigMac together properly, and it is never hot. I always ask at the counter, HOT (ron), it hasn't got through to them yet, so now l rarely go there....sad.png

I often complain about that. The burger patties are stored in warm water trays.

I have always thought that McD was some food leftover collector or something similar. It's never occurred to me too actually eat there.

yes...chicken nuggets...junk pressed into shape. Extreme interesting for the technology behind. But I didn't know that it can be eaten as well.

I don't think you should be worrying about this for too long .....you keep eating that sh*t for very long this will be the very least of your worries.....

Not really miles away from a lot of the thai food, nutrition wise that is. Deep fried stuff and what not.

Edited by Kaalle