Thai doctor sees Ebola epidemic not ending soon

webfact

By Digital Content

1413449731468-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 16 -- A virus expert in Thailand has pointed out that the Ebola virus disease is unlikely to stop spreading and an outbreak in Asia cannot be ruled out because a large number of Asians are working in Africa.

Prof Emeritus Dr Prasert Thongcharoen, advisor to the Department of Disease Control, said that the World Health Organization is concerned and has warned about Ebola because many Asian workers are in Africa and most don't know how to protect themselves from the disease.

Ebola is likely to be contained in some Senegalese towns, Dr Prasert said, but the epidemic remains serious in Guinea and Sierra Leone as most local people have insufficient knowledge about the disease.

"At this stage, I don't see the epidemic as likely to end because it has spread to Ethiopia and other countries," Dr Prasert said.

He also warned concerned parties to watch out for the Marburg virus that he said was more severe as the mortality rate of patients was 40-90 per cent.

The physical symptoms of Marburg patients were the same as those of the Ebola disease, so it was difficult to identify cases of both diseases, and their transmission was also the same, through body fluids, Dr Prasert said.

For this winter he also called for precautions to prevent an outbreak of influenza and coronavirus. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-16

From the Mayo clinic http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ebola-virus/basics/causes/con-20031241

Ebola virus has been found in African monkeys, chimps and other nonhuman primates. A milder strain of Ebola has been discovered in monkeys and pigs in the Philippines. Marburg virus has been found in monkeys, chimps and fruit bats in Africa.

A milder strain in the Philippines, getting close to home.

"A virus expert in Thailand has pointed out that the Ebola virus disease is unlikely to stop spreading and an outbreak in Asia cannot be ruled out because a large number of Asians are working in Africa."

In the end, those who have access to adequate healthcare will most likely survive.

Quote from the attached article: “ 'There’s a reason the case fatality rate is 80 percent in rural Africa and 0 percent in Americans and Europeans who get out in time and get proper medical care' Farmer said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/achenblog/wp/2014/10/06/paul-farmer-on-ebola-this-isnt-a-natural-disaster-this-is-the-terrorism-of-poverty/

• Like 1

Afraid ebola will spread as fire both here and in other developing countries considering the hygienic etiquette when it comes to sneezing, couching and something as simple but important as regularly handwash.

Texas as well it would seem.

• Like 1

Prof Emeritus Dr Prasert Thongcharoen, advisor to the Department of Disease Control, said that the World Health Organization is concerned and has warned about Ebola because many Asian workers are in Africa and most don't know how to protect themselves from the disease.

​So a Thai professor did actually understand that the WHO is concerned. Yes, most Thai workers don't know how to protect themselves.

How many TVF members do know how to protect their families? I don't want to know how many people in Thailand really caught a serious disease when staying at a hospital with all sorts of diseases around them.

And some of these diseases are even unknown by the Thai doctors. Let's just hope that the virus doesn't make it to rural areas.

"A virus expert in Thailand has pointed out that the Ebola virus disease is unlikely to stop spreading and an outbreak in Asia cannot be ruled out because a large number of Asians are working in Africa."

In the end, those who have access to adequate healthcare will most likely survive.

Quote from the attached article: “ 'There’s a reason the case fatality rate is 80 percent in rural Africa and 0 percent in Americans and Europeans who get out in time and get proper medical care' Farmer said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/achenblog/wp/2014/10/06/paul-farmer-on-ebola-this-isnt-a-natural-disaster-this-is-the-terrorism-of-poverty/

I thought the nurse in Spain had died. So now it's much more than 0%.

Just a side note,

Ebola Is Airborne, University Of Minnesota CIDRAP Researchers Claim
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1541821/ebola-is-airborne-university-of-minnesota-cidrap-researchers-claim/#CbKpgVpdxRRrvwL5.99
Seem the CDC confirms this.
Low1 risk exposures

A low risk exposure includes any of the following

• Household contact with an EVD patient
  • Other close contact with EVD patients in health care facilities or community settings. Close contact is defined as
    1. being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) of an EVD patient or within the patient’s room or care area for a prolonged period of time (e.g., health care personnel, household members) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment (i.e., standard, droplet, and contact precautions; see Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations)
    2. having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD patient while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.
  • Brief interactions, such as walking by a person or moving through a hospital, do not constitute close contact
  • http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html
Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

The patient in Spain died.

There have now been 2 nurses diagnosed with Ebola in Texas, go read world news.

Usually, viral epidemics end quite suddenly and for no particular reason that we know of. So this will likely end some time over the coming weeks or months. Maybe a good time to get some airline shares while others are selling them. Once panic is over the shares should rise again. A classic buying opportunity.

Afraid ebola will spread as fire both here and in other developing countries considering the hygienic etiquette when it comes to sneezing, couching and something as simple but important as regularly handwash.

And eating food from the same dish with each person using their own spoon.

By Digital Content

1413449731468-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 16 -- A virus expert in Thailand has pointed out that the Ebola virus disease is unlikely to stop spreading and an outbreak in Asia cannot be ruled out because a large number of Asians are working in Africa.

Ebola is likely to be contained in some Senegalese towns, Dr Prasert said, but the epidemic remains serious in Guinea and Sierra Leone as most local people have insufficient knowledge about the disease.

"At this stage, I don't see the epidemic as likely to end because it has spread to Ethiopia and other countries," Dr Prasert said.

He also warned concerned parties to watch out for the Marburg virus that he said was more severe as the mortality rate of patients was 40-90 per cent.

The physical symptoms of Marburg patients were the same as those of the Ebola disease, so it was difficult to identify cases of both diseases, and their transmission was also the same, through body fluids, Dr Prasert said.

For this winter he also called for precautions to prevent an outbreak of influenza and coronavirus. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-10-16

I thought Thailand had solved this epidemic?? With a little help from dear leader of course once he finishes writing his soap opera scripts.

You are full of cr*p.

If you bothered to read anything about the subject before posting you know that Thai scientists have never said they have found a cure only that they have isolated an anti viral that may help but will take at least a year of testing before it could possibly be used.

The World Health Org are interested and have asked for samples for testing, but you of course are only interested in having an unformed bash.

I don't believe a word of it. Scientists are no different to the police in this place. They in fact said they found a cure and a few private hospitals in BKK can handle an outbreak.

Another money issue only quality tourists would be accepted.

Steer clear of Sukumvit Soi 3 and you should be Ok.

Sent from my LG-D858

Why?

Is everyone there fresh in from an Ebola affected area in the last couple of weeks?

You know, within the quarantine period for this terrible disease that is ruining lives.

Or are you just making a nasty little racist joke? Using the misery of others to promote prejudice?

Edited by Bluespunk

Sent from my LG-D858

Why?

Is everyone there fresh in from an Ebola affected area in the last couple of weeks?

You know, within the quarantine period for this terrible disease that is ruining lives.

Or are you just making a nasty little racist joke? Using the misery of others to promote prejudice?

Just stating fact.

Your chances of catching Ebola would be significantly higher due to the visitors bring from that region.

Unless Ebola originated elsewhere my point stands.

Sent from my LG-D858

• Like 1

Sent from my LG-D858

Why?

Just stating fact.

Your chances of catching Ebola would be significantly higher due to the visitors bring from that region.

Unless Ebola originated elsewhere my point stands.

Sent from my LG-D858

No it doesn't.

It shows a basic ignorance of the facts.

It shows your prejudices based upon skin tone.

Ebola has a quarantine period of infectiousness.

Anyone in Thailand here longer than this period of time is clear.

Regardless of colour.

I thought Thailand had solved this epidemic?? With a little help from dear leader of course once he finishes writing his soap opera scripts.

They did. They made an announcement to the world they had developed a cure and vaccine.
  • Like 1

Also been a death in the US ... and statistically idiotic to compare given the few numbers outside Africa and of course countries with better medical care and not so many patients effected will have a lower rate.

Sent from my LG-D858

...btw the soi you mentioned and where you're staying is the joint that you'll get what you are running away from...even you may wish to be in soi 3 but the opportunity must have steered clear of your reach...blink.png

And eating food from the same dish with each person using their own spoon.

Have you ever drunk beer "Lao-style" with everyone using the same glass? Great fun!

Almost 9000 infections and 4400 deaths -

The infection rate doubles every six weeks .

They predict that the window of opportunity to possibly control it is roughly December 31st .

At that stage 20,000 infections will be occurring - and its almost impossible from that point onwards.

Thailand is particularly at risk because it is under Marshal law and restrictive in its honesty.

Control , relies heavily on both transparent disclosure and precautions , as well as honest treatment .

The Junta make outlandish claims and it would be the last place to stay or visit under the cloud of outbreak if it starts to hit Asia.

Edited by Fred Flinstone

Too right. Couching, as I have learned the hard way, has a lot to answer for when it comes to picking up nasty things from bodily fluids.