2.7l (petrol) Vs. 3.0l (diesel) Toyota

I see a lot of Fortrunners with the 2.7L motors. And a lot of the Vigo pickups come with D4D 3.0L. I would like to get a 4-door Vigo (Pre-runner)...without and turbo applications...which engine has the best power/acceleration/longevity...?

If you want a Vigo Prerunner then you have no choice. Its only available with the 3.0 D4D engine. More torque, better economy and a flatter power curve....why would you even consider a petrol engine in a truck?

If only the diesel is available...then there is no choice. Why would one want anything other than diesel in a truck...? Every truck that I have ever owned...from Dodge to Ford to GMC has always had a (gas) engine. Seems the Fortunner is not much heavier than a Vigo 2-door. Gas (petrol) has always had better acceleration...to keep up, diesels need turbo's.

I have not driven the Vigo 3.0L D4D yet, however, I do not see the advantages of diesel...other than what use to be less cost at the pump. But I am all ear...enlighten me...

If only the diesel is available...then there is no choice. Why would one want anything other than diesel in a truck...? Every truck that I have ever owned...from Dodge to Ford to GMC has always had a (gas) engine. Seems the Fortunner is not much heavier than a Vigo 2-door. Gas (petrol) has always had better acceleration...to keep up, diesels need turbo's.

I have not driven the Vigo 3.0L D4D yet, however, I do not see the advantages of diesel...other than what use to be less cost at the pump. But I am all ear...enlighten me...

Well its simple as I stated in my first reply.

Turbo diesel engines provide a flatter power curve (ie the power stays at it peak for a longer period of time). They are far far torquier so have better pulling power and are incredibly economical and less polluting compared to a petrol powered engine of similar capacity.

I know the US' love affair with the V8 lumps....have to say I love them too, but really are totally unnecessary in this day and age. Although if I could I'd still love to own a 70s' Dodge Challenger RT :o lovely motor