Laptop Disconecting--(2)

chiangrai

Hi,

I had a post about this a few weeks ago.My laptop keeps either gets an X in the place where it shows connection to the net in the task bar or it starts to turn the pages really slowly.

On the last post I was advised to update my drivers and I got slimdrivers and the problem went away until a few days ago.

I've checked slimdrivers again and it says that I'm up to date.

Some of the recommendations from the last post were......disable the power management...........turn the router off for a minute ........change the channel setting on the router........turn off automatic updates...............

If anybody could tell me which of these I should check first and how to do it I would be very grateful.

It could be that your having IP Conflict where two Computers are trying to connect to the same IP address.

Reset the router by simple plugging it out for a minute.

Then Reset your network card on your Laptop

To reset the adapter:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Disable. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Right-click the adapter icon again, and then click Enable. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

The adapter is now reset. Try connecting to the network again, or run Network Diagnostics to verify that your network adapter is now

working correctly.

Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.

Edited by thai20144

After you Complete the above I would recommend if your using Internet Explorer to reset it also.

Go to

Control Panel\Network and Internet - Open - Internet Options

Go to the advanced Tap and click - restore advanced settings

Then click the - Reset button at the bottom of the tap and this will clean your Explorer to factory setting

(be aware that you have the options not to delete your passwords that are saved on Internet explorer)

Edited by thai20144

It would be very helpful to lead with your current issue but also tell the whole story from the beginning,

Internet Conection Disconecting

Started by chiangrai, 2014-08-14 14:40 -- 7 replies
"What I want to do is to have my laptop connected to the modem by cable and my wife's laptop using the wireless connection. This will mean that my computer will go slightly faster because it's connected bu wire. [...] I hooked a wire up between the modem and my laptop but the task bar says I'm connected wirelessly."
"I disconnected from the WiFi and it must have automatically connected to the cable. It's defiantly faster now. So if my WiFi signal was slow and kept disconnected maybe my WiFi receiver is dodgy.I dropped my laptop and had to get it repaired.
Started by chiangrai, 2014-09-25 13:40 -- 25 replies
"I have a Lenova laptop and it keeps disconnecting from the net. My wife laptop is in the same room and it doesn't happen to hers. I connect it by wire or by WI-fi but it still happens."
"Down in the task-bar I get a brown X where it shows the connection to the modem. I use windows. [...]"
"Yes,windows 7 and I have my own TP-link modem in the same room as the laptop. I have downloaded slim driver and am going through the process of installing [the] updates."
"O.K, I did the slim drivers 8 updates last night and left the computer on all night downloading a torrent. It was still connected when I woke up this morning witch is a miracle considering that yesterday I didn't know that my computer even had a driver. The one problem I have now, presuming I don't loose connection again, is that at some stage I said yes when I was asked if I wanted to create a restore point or something and now there is much less free space on my disk C."
Hopefully that brings everyone reading back up to speed.

It would be very helpful to lead with your current issue but also tell the whole story from the beginning,

Internet Conection Disconecting

Started by chiangrai, 2014-08-14 14:40 -- 7 replies
"What I want to do is to have my laptop connected to the modem by cable and my wife's laptop using the wireless connection. This will mean that my computer will go slightly faster because it's connected bu wire. [...] I hooked a wire up between the modem and my laptop but the task bar says I'm connected wirelessly."
"I disconnected from the WiFi and it must have automatically connected to the cable. It's defiantly faster now. So if my WiFi signal was slow and kept disconnected maybe my WiFi receiver is dodgy.I dropped my laptop and had to get it repaired.
Started by chiangrai, 2014-09-25 13:40 -- 25 replies
"I have a Lenova laptop and it keeps disconnecting from the net. My wife laptop is in the same room and it doesn't happen to hers. I connect it by wire or by WI-fi but it still happens."
"Down in the task-bar I get a brown X where it shows the connection to the modem. I use windows. [...]"
"Yes,windows 7 and I have my own TP-link modem in the same room as the laptop. I have downloaded slim driver and am going through the process of installing [the] updates."
"O.K, I did the slim drivers 8 updates last night and left the computer on all night downloading a torrent. It was still connected when I woke up this morning witch is a miracle considering that yesterday I didn't know that my computer even had a driver. The one problem I have now, presuming I don't loose connection again, is that at some stage I said yes when I was asked if I wanted to create a restore point or something and now there is much less free space on my disk C."
Hopefully that brings everyone reading back up to speed.

That helps biggrin.png

There was a lot more to the Issue than I expected.

Obliviously OP may have damage the network card on his laptop drop

Or

With all the messing around with wireless/network etc OP have somehow messed up the network software setting on your laptop.

Edited by thai20144

I had ruled out the physical damage since it has been working perfect for a few weeks.

There was a flashing notice about about a conflict from the taskbar.

So I will go ahead with what Thai20144 recomended in his first post.

I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

Right, I got to a page called "manage wireless networks"

It told me that my computer was set to automatically connect to my neighbors wifi with my wifi as second preference.

I took my neighbors wifi off the page.

Then I went to "change adapter settings" and it told me that I was connected to my wireless network even though my cable was plugged in.

I plugged out the cable.

I will have to use my computer for a few hours tomorrow to see if these were the only problems

that were affecting my connection.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 1

When you want to use your wired Ethernet connection you should disable the WiFi radio (via <Fn>+<F?> key or utility program), otherwise both connections will remain active.

Usually if you have two or more active connections the one assigned the highest priority (lowest metric) is the one used.

If you just want to plug in the Ethernet cable and go, then try assigning a metric of 10 for wired and 1000 for wifi. Then when the Wired Ethernet interface becomes active all traffic will flow through it as it has the lowest metric.