America is stretched to breaking point: watch the markets

webfact

LOL, GTAT was a very small company $ 30 million ish market cap with a price below $ 5 a share in 2013. Looks like no one but those will taking extreme risks were investing in this company based on what little I just read.

At the time it signed the agreement with Apple GTAT had a market cap of 1,2 Billion$ . In July 2014 GT advance had a market capitalization of 2 BILLION $ smile.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billfeingold/2014/10/07/the-lesson-of-gtat-raise-money-when-you-can/

Oh, and before you claim again that you are knowledgeable about securities, at the time GTAT signed the deal with Apple it traded at 10,10$, instead of below 5$ as you claim to know.

Looking at prospectus/research report not some article that is not very date specific.

post-159996-0-62026600-1414169572_thumb.

post-159996-0-85978400-1414169937_thumb.

Edited by F430murci

"betting on it (Amazon) going to zero is simply foolish. Amazon has always been obsessed with serving its customer. Retailers that focused simply don't go out of business."

Betting against Amazon is indeed foolish as they no longer have much competition. Their size and reach has built a moat that even Warren Buffet would get hot over. Amazon has been obsessed not with customer service, heck it is easy to hand out refunds when the vendor is the one absorbing the cost. All that hooey is just PR. They have been obsessed with obtaining competitive advantages over competitors via tax loopholes and tax subsidies. It is only after they have knocked out the competition that they are now willing to discuss charging sales taxes within many States.

The hedge fund people who originally set up Amazon know that at some point down the road the profits will be huge. I think Amazon is trending towards the Costco model with their Amazon Prime where you run the stores at break even so that all the dues represent 100% profit after taxes. They already have over 20 million Prime members. Once the moat building is complete those dues will add up to lots of profit.

Edited by Johpa

"betting on it (Amazon) going to zero is simply foolish. Amazon has always been obsessed with serving its customer. Retailers that focused simply don't go out of business."

Betting against Amazon is indeed foolish as they no longer have much competition. Their size and reach has built a moat that even Warren Buffet would get hot over. Amazon has been obsessed not with customer service, heck it is easy to hand out refunds when the vendor is the one absorbing the cost. All that hooey is just PR. They have been obsessed with obtaining competitive advantages over competitors via tax loopholes and tax subsidies. It is only after they have knocked out the competition that they are now willing to discuss charging sales taxes within many States.

The hedge fund people who originally set up Amazon know that at some point down the road the profits will be huge. I think Amazon is trending towards the Costco model with their Amazon Prime where you run the stores at break even so that all the dues represent 100% profit after taxes. They already have over 20 million Prime members. Once the moat building is complete those dues will add up to lots of profit.

You gotta hand it to Bezos. There is something to be said for making yourself extremely wealthy while pumping all of your PRE-TAX profits into expanding your business. Sure, a lot of investors moan and groan because there are no profits, or even losses on paper, but wow he is positioned well. They have set up distribution warehouses all over the country and are positioning themselves nicely in certain markets over seas. That said, the Fire phone was an expensive flop.

" Haha, Amazon is not failing. Amazon is expanding. Expansion can be expensive."

Amazon posts huge loss, warns of moreohmy.png

LOS ANGELES Amazon had warned that it would lose bundles of cash in the third quarter, and it didn't disappoint.

But the size of the loss and a forecast that warned of more red ink by year's end chilled investors, who had already sent shares sharply lower for the year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/23/amazon-posts-loss-for-3rd-quarter/17783495/

Huge losses does not mean failing. $544 mil in losses suck, but Amazon is a $ 100 bil a year corporation. The Fire phone may be failing and causing losses, but Amazon is not failing.

You guys are apoarently too stupid to actually look at why Anazon reported 3rd quarter losses and to understand the difference between a bad quarter and the entire company failing.

The 500 mil loss number is tiny compared to the billions Amazin just spent to expand into and develop other markets and the 1 or 2 billion in losses to provide free music to those ordering and etc.

---------

This quarter includes sales, or lack thereof, for Amazon's Fire Phone, which has been widely panned by critics and consumers alike. The company also acquired the video game streaming startup Twitch for $1 billion and said it was investing $2 billion in the Indian ecommerce market. It took out a $2 billion line of credit from Bank of America to finance this aggressive expansion and investment.

There were some good signs for the company as well. Along with an increase in revenue, Amazon saw its free cash flow grow to $1.08 billion, roughly three times what it had in the third quarter of 2013.

Amazon is growing. In the US, when a business invests in new buildings, land, or equipment, it can't deduct it for tax purposes in the year the money was spent. It has to capitalize that expense and write off a portion over a number of years. Real estate - 20 years. So the money is spent but the deduction is only 5% of that.

If a business wants to expand ahead of income due to anticipated growth in business volume, it will have a loss and perhaps need to borrow money.

There are people (not you) posting on here who have no idea how the private sector (which creates all of the wealth) actually works in the US much less can they tell if a company is profitable.

The blatant arrogance coupled with unbounded ignorance is amazing.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

We just don't understand Neversure and F430Murci. I think it's called USness.

I'd bet the ranch that you too are American.

I dunno for a fact if it might be so, but I know two are American and that you three are exactly on the ball..

As for the other guy, maybe now he's learned something. wink.png

There is nothing wrong with and people should take pride in their country or where they live. Pride leads to hard work, success and a better quality of life.

Those sitting around belly aching and whining about the sad state of affairs tend to be those that are experiencingfailures in their own personal lives, looking to blame others and that are so caught up in the blame game that they do not do what they need to do to improve their own situation.

That said, I am one of the first to speak out and be critical about the US and what is happening here when I believe something is wrong.

I engaged about you factually inaccurate ridiculous assertions about specific companies and specific market factors that were untrue and bordered on the idiotic.

Addressing specific inaccurate factual representations about specific companies has less to do pride in America and more to do with my utter disbelief that people such you and Asiantravel read nutty stuff like endofamericadream and Zereohedge and apparently actually believe it. . . . And then we have you guys picking random sentences out articles or just flat out misstating the conclusions of articles which is an entirely different matter relating to dishonesty and deception to try and make a point.

" read nutty stuff like endofamericadream and Zereohedge and apparently actually believe it."

Yes, but at least in my case I include the link to the website. unlike you who also obtained information from an equally obscure website but in your case you then tried to portray the post as being your own without any reference to the website you had used.bah.gif

That's plagiarism and very duplicitous of you unsure.png

Edited by Asiantravel

There is nothing wrong with and people should take pride in their country or where they live. Pride leads to hard work, success and a better quality of life.

Those sitting around belly aching and whining about the sad state of affairs tend to be those that are experiencingfailures in their own personal lives, looking to blame others and that are so caught up in the blame game that they do not do what they need to do to improve their own situation.

That said, I am one of the first to speak out and be critical about the US and what is happening here when I believe something is wrong.

I engaged about you factually inaccurate ridiculous assertions about specific companies and specific market factors that were untrue and bordered on the idiotic.

Addressing specific inaccurate factual representations about specific companies has less to do pride in America and more to do with my utter disbelief that people such you and Asiantravel read nutty stuff like endofamericadream and Zereohedge and apparently actually believe it. . . . And then we have you guys picking random sentences out articles or just flat out misstating the conclusions of articles which is an entirely different matter relating to dishonesty and deception to try and make a point.

" read nutty stuff like endofamericadream and Zereohedge and apparently actually believe it."

Yes, but at least in my case I include the link to the website. unlike you who also obtained information from an equally obscure website but in your case you then tried to portray the post as being your own without any reference to the website you had used.bah.gif

Haha, is that the best you can do?

If I draw a little line like this

--------

I am quoting from another source below that line. Lol if you feel the need to call me out for hitting add reply before pasting link.

You do realize this is an Internet forum, is solely for entertainment purposes and means absolutely zip in the real world.

It's clear which side is loosing.

Has lost.

endofamericadream and Zereohedge laugh.png cheesy.gif giggle.gif laugh.png bah.gif cheesy.gif

• Like 1

That piece is really quite sensationalist. Wow. Sounds like a bunch of irrational American bashing. Yes, markets go down sometimes especially after they've gone up a lot for a long time.

Why is it irrational? America has caused most, if not all the financial crises that have ruined many lives. Sub prime was invented by Americans.

They are also responsible for the Mickey Mouse zero interest policy that has destroyed poor people's savings.

It is true, this double standard that is the USA. The US will go after regional Islamic terrorists with extreme prejudice but will not make any attempts to incarcerate the global financial terrorists on Wall Street and the major banks. Some 30 years ago the US government still had enough independence to bring down the weight of the government against some of the people who were responsible for the S&L financial scandals that required taxpayer bailouts of the system. Today, those guilty of far worse criminal fraud remain in their well paid positions of influence.

• Like 1

That piece is really quite sensationalist. Wow. Sounds like a bunch of irrational American bashing. Yes, markets go down sometimes especially after they've gone up a lot for a long time.

Why is it irrational? America has caused most, if not all the financial crises that have ruined many lives. Sub prime was invented by Americans.

They are also responsible for the Mickey Mouse zero interest policy that has destroyed poor people's savings.

I agree with some if what you say, but zero interest policy statement is bunk. First of all, we have too much debt because we bend over backwards to take care of the lazy and poor. It is not America's responsibility to create high interest bearing accounts for people. They can invest in ETFs, mutual funds and alternatives.

But seriously, if you don't think international bankers and markets were just as selfish as American bankers and markets during subprime . . . They all profited and knew what was going on.

Still, it is bs to attribute this to the average American who was also harmed.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

First of all, we have too much debt because we bend over backwards to take care of the lazy and poor. It is not America's responsibility to create high interest bearing accounts for people. They can invest in ETFs, mutual funds and alternatives.

We have too much debt because of our underfunded military spending and not because of taking care of the poor. And the poor are not always "lazy" as the working poor at Walmart and elsewhere still require government assistance to survive; thus the push for a $15 minimum wage. And the working poor, the vast lower middle class making median income and below do not have the ability to put their meager savings at risk in any market fund or related derivative. They can only deposit what little they have in a bank and hope for the best. So now the banks pay them less than 1% and charge them 30% on their credit card balance and then on top of that, thanks to fractional banking, lend out what is left many times over at well above 1%. To reword your thought, perhaps it is not the government's responsibility to create extremely low interest rates for the corporate ruling elite at the expense of the public at large. But I am a fan of Keynes and believe that it is the responsibility of the government to intervene when things get out of balance. But today the political power in the US has shifted to the corporate citizen at the expense of the ordinary taxpaying citizen and government intervention takes the wrong path in the unrelenting class warfare against the worker.

• Like 2

First of all, we have too much debt because we bend over backwards to take care of the lazy and poor. It is not America's responsibility to create high interest bearing accounts for people. They can invest in ETFs, mutual funds and alternatives.

We have too much debt because of our underfunded military spending and not because of taking care of the poor. And the poor are not always "lazy" as the working poor at Walmart and elsewhere still require government assistance to survive; thus the push for a $15 minimum wage. And the working poor, the vast lower middle class making median income and below do not have the ability to put their meager savings at risk in any market fund or related derivative. They can only deposit what little they have in a bank and hope for the best. So now the banks pay them less than 1% and charge them 30% on their credit card balance and then on top of that, thanks to fractional banking, lend out what is left many times over at well above 1%. To reword your thought, perhaps it is not the government's responsibility to create extremely low interest rates for the corporate ruling elite at the expense of the public at large. But I am a fan of Keynes and believe that it is the responsibility of the government to intervene when things get out of balance. But today the political power in the US has shifted to the corporate citizen at the expense of the ordinary taxpaying citizen and government intervention takes the wrong path in the unrelenting class warfare against the worker.

19 % went to defense budget.

24 % to social security.

22 % went to health care for the poor.

12 % went to food stamp or safety net programs for the poor.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1258

Also, pretty stupid to drive up CPI for those that don't apply themselves in school, get a higher education or work hard to rise above minimum wage.

Why are we talking about the past, when the topic is about the present and maybe even the future - "America IS to the breaking point. Watch the markets."

To which I again say "balderdash."

• Like 1

Also, pretty stupid to drive up CPI for those that don't apply themselves in school, get a higher education or work hard to rise above minimum wage.

The Blue Dog Democrat of the South and smattered around other spots in the U.S. just don't relate to working class blue collar Americans.

The economy is structured to require the jobs that employ the people the Blue Dogs spit on every day. Those blue collar low income employees work menial jobs or low skill jobs for a pittance. They show up every day and work and that is honorable.

The sick lame and lazy American is a small percentage of the population whose presence is overblown due to Blue Dog biases, prejudices and passe notions such as rugged individualism..

The structurally trapped Americans deserve a decent wage for themselves and their families, dependents, loved ones. In a society as wealthy and prosperous as the United States, the poor should consist of a temporary population that has somehow slipped through cracks, not a large swath of the population that lives their lives in want or need.

The Blue Dog Democrat of the South and smattered around other spots in the U.S. just don't relate to working class blue collar Americans.

The economy is structured to require the jobs that employ the people the Blue Dogs spit on every day. Those blue collar low income employees work menial jobs or low skill jobs for a pittance. They show up every day and work and that is honorable.

The sick lame and lazy American is a small percentage of the population whose presence is overblown due to Blue Dog biases, prejudices and passe notions such as rugged individualism..

The structurally trapped Americans deserve a decent wage for themselves and their families, dependents, loved ones. In a society as wealthy and prosperous as the United States, the poor should consist of a temporary population that has somehow slipped through cracks, not a large swath of the population that lives their lives in want or need.

You advocate something comparable to communism where everyone are treated more equally regardless of effort or whether they have earned such treatment. I believe in the free market and supply and demand principles upon which this country was built.

It is true, this double standard that is the USA. The US will go after regional Islamic terrorists with extreme prejudice but will not make any attempts to incarcerate the global financial terrorists on Wall Street and the major banks. Some 30 years ago the US government still had enough independence to bring down the weight of the government against some of the people who were responsible for the S&L financial scandals that required taxpayer bailouts of the system. Today, those guilty of far worse criminal fraud remain in their well paid positions of influence.

Prosecuting officials high up the food chain is something not many countries do very well. Unfortunately.

• Like 1

You advocate something comparable to communism where everyone are treated more equally regardless of effort or whether they have earned such treatment. I believe in the free market and supply and demand principles upon which this country was built.

I don't advocate what you said I advocate.

I don't oppose what you said I oppose.

It's completely the opposite of what you said of me.You are completely wrong.

The Blue Dog Democrat in the U.S. South is dense, hopelessly numb, no clue.

My post mentioned "rugged individualism" which where I come from is a red flag. We run it up the pole to see who salutes instead of doing the right thing of taking it down. In the context of your post, that you ignored the red flag would mean you left left it up there.

Blue Dog.

Everybody complains about the corrupt people in the financial sector, but nobody complains when they are making money. Once the markets go pear shaped, it's a little too late.

Written by a " Zillionaire "

The Pitchforks Are Coming…

Many of us think we’re special because “this is America.”giggle.gif We think we’re immune to the same forces that started the Arab Spring—or the French and Russian revolutions, for that matter. I know you fellow .01%ers tend to dismiss this kind of argument

Here’s what I say to you: You’re living in a dream world.sad.png What everyone wants to believe is that when things reach a tipping point and go from being merely crappy for the masses to dangerous and socially destabilizing, that we’re somehow going to know about that shift ahead of time.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014_full.html#.VEy8PckqN-x

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

The so called American Dream.....is about to become a little nightmarish.

Who said, “The battle in which you are locked today is the mother of all battles,..Our rendezvous with victory is very near”

Who said, when there were 16 countries in the Soviet Union, "We will bury you."

Who said, "The die is now cast; the colonies must ... submit .... we must not retreat."

Edited by thailiketoo