Self-build and live aboard boat in Thailand

SailingHome

Hello. I am from the USA, and my wife is from the Philippines. We are currently on tourist visas, then she will go to school.

I would like to build a boat here and live on it. It is a hobby, so as I understand it, I do not need a work permit. My wife and I will do all of the work ourselves except having a tractor tow it to the water and launch. That is the plan, but what if I want to hire laborers for some woodwork or heavy lifting?

Then, what about registration, licensing, etc.? Can we even legally own it without my starting company or having my friend's company own it?

Any pointers will be helpful, but, please, this isn't a discussion about the pros and cons of living on a boat, cruising areas, marinas, etc.

Thanks!

I think that as you are both non-Thai, if you want to work on the construction, you will need a work permit.

If you intend to be part of the crew that builds the boat, yes you will need a work-Permit. But before, check out what long-term visa options you and your wife have here before you start building the boat.

Why not do the same thing in the Philippines where visa-matters and work-permit regulations are a 100 times more relaxed than in Thailand??????????????

Cheers.

• Like 2

I assume the boat will take more than a day or 2 to build.....

What are you doing for visa's/accommodation in the mean time ?

For now living in a room in Bangkok. When we start building, we will live in a hut at the boat yard or in the shop space we rent. Long term visa process already worked out, we can ooen another topic for that if need be.

This is a family-sized 2mo to 1yr project depending on the plans we decide on.

I think that as you are both non-Thai, if you want to work on the construction, you will need a work permit.

If you intend to be part of the crew that builds the boat, yes you will need a work-Permit. But before, check out what long-term visa options you and your wife have here before you start building the boat.

Why not do the same thing in the Philippines where visa-matters and work-permit regulations are a 100 times more relaxed than in Thailand??????????????

Cheers.

I recently read an article about not neededing a work permit to work on a hobby or personal-us endeavor that was published by the head of that enforcement department. Wish I coiuld find it now.

If we DO need a work permit, how to one get one when there is no sponsoring company and we aren't hiring any Thai staff so even forming a company we would not qualify.

We want to build it here because we LIVE here. We plan to retire here. Phils does not have most of my medicines and those they have cost literally 30x what they cost here. More to the point, build elsewhere and bring here too many hassles of importation or exiting a lot when we want to be in the Northern gulf most of the time.

I am willing to get work permits if needed, but not sure if really needed. Lawyer time?

BTW this will be in Rayong, not Phuket.

Edited by SailingHome

Cheers.

I recently read an article about not neededing a work permit to work on a hobby or personal-us endeavor that was published by the head of that enforcement department. Wish I coiuld find it now.

If we DO need a work permit, how to one get one when there is no sponsoring company and we aren't hiring any Thai staff so even forming a company we would not qualify.

We want to build it here because we LIVE here. We plan to retire here. Phils does not have most of my medicines and those they have cost literally 30x what they cost here. More to the point, build elsewhere and bring here too many hassles of importation or exiting a lot when we want to be in the Northern gulf most of the time.

I am willing to get work permits if needed, but not sure if really needed. Lawyer time?

BTW this will be in Rayong, not Phuket.

Thai law is very strict, especially when there are farang involved.

You would need to form a company, 2 million baht capital, then employ 4 thai staff for every work permit you require, (so thats 8 staff)

The process for getting a work permit is very tedious, and time consuming, that is why very few teachers here ever get one.

The interpretation of the law as to whether you need a WP or not, is not that clear.

Recently in Phuket, 2 foreigners were charged for building a boat that they claimed was for personal use. However, it transpired that they had built boats previously, and then sold them. So the claim of personal use was doubtful.

In general, you can 'work' on 'personal' activities that are your own personal enjoyment. So decorating your house or cutting the grass is fine.

You can also physically build your own house if you will live in it and not rent it out etc. So I physically built my own house in Phuket. That little house was part of a Bed & Breakfast property with several guest buildings. But I did not build these guest rooms because they were intended to be rented out.

I suppose it also depends on how 'fussy' your local immigration or labour office is. Usually, it is the immigration department who investigate illegal work, even though it is not in their remit - it is the remit of the Labour office.

I never had any issues when building my house and I personally maintain it. But I pay local Thais to maintain my guest rooms, cut the grass on their side etc.

• Like 1

You are allowed to supervise the building of your own home without a work permit.

Is your plan to turn Thailand into Amsterdam with long boats on klongs?

hahahahaha :) and put up with the smell? No. Our lifestyle allows a lot of freedom to island hop. We are quite self reliant and with the boat (ok, sailing barge) with garden, chickens, milk goat, etc. we need for little. After 3-5 years we MIGHT then take it to Phils and USA for a vist and who knows where else.

So, you can supervise the building of your house but if you lift a tool or hold a piece of wood while a Thai worker nails it, you go to jail. TiT. Surely some agreement with the local constabulatory in the small fishing villiaage we will build in can keep a lot of this from being an issue?

Edited by SailingHome

personally id build it myself, i built two houses myself and the local policeman comes and congratulates me regularly.

Got the same advice from a Western friend in that villiage. Unless I make someone angry, mai pen rai.

Legal vs lawful. Legal (tradition and culture) says go for it. Lawful (the laws written by governing bodies) says no.

Of course, in the end it has to be registered and licensed. Then the questions get awkward with no Thai spouse. :)

Edited by SailingHome

Check with a lawyer what you can or cannot do before you start.

I don't think you need to register a company to hire people to build your boat contrary to what some other people said on here. I also don't think you need a WP if this is just your hobby and no commercial project.

Cheers.

Because it suxx big time there and nobody want to spend a life in phils...

You are allowed to supervise the building of your own home without a work permit.

Is your plan to turn Thailand into Amsterdam with long boats on klongs?

hahahahaha smile.png and put up with the smell? No. Our lifestyle allows a lot of freedom to island hop. We are quite self reliant and with the boat (ok, sailing barge) with garden, chickens, milk goat, etc. we need for little. After 3-5 years we MIGHT then take it to Phils and USA for a vist and who knows where else.

So, you can supervise the building of your house but if you lift a tool or hold a piece of wood while a Thai worker nails it, you go to jail. TiT. Surely some agreement with the local constabulatory in the small fishing villiaage we will build in can keep a lot of this from being an issue?

I wouldn't worry about the locals. It's the folks on Thai Visa who dislike anyone doing well in Thailand.

Or even doing well in life generally.

• Like 1