What happened to England's lost football grounds?

Lite Beer

What happened to England's lost football grounds?
By Andrew Dawkins

West Ham United are due to move to the Olympic Stadium in Stratford from Upton Park in 2016 while Tottenham Hotspur, who have plans for a new stadium next to their current White Hart Lane ground, will have to find a temporary home venue for the 2017-18 season.

They are just the latest clubs to leave their long-established homes - a trend which began in the 1990s and which shows no signs of abating.

So what became of England's lost football grounds?

There are hundreds of flats around the old Highbury pitch and John Jeans lives in one with a view of the famous turf from the old North Bank.

However, while this is a dream for many Arsenal fans, Dr Jeans has slightly mixed feelings about it. He is a Chelsea fan.

"I did say to my wife we'd never live at Highbury," he said. "But a year and a half later, because of the practicality (of it), we ended up moving there."

"The Arsenal fans, they like to point out where (Thierry) Henry scored a free kick or (Dennis) Bergkamp scored that goal.

"We're very lucky to live in the old stadium.... (But) you feel vaguely irritated by the scene."

The North Bank and Clock End stands were demolished after Arsenal left in 2006, but the facades of the old East and West Stands were preserved, while the pitch became a garden.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-29460621?ocid=socialflow_twitter

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-19

The North Bank and Clock End stands were demolished after Arsenal left in 2006, but the facades of the old East and West Stands were preserved, while the pitch became a garden.

They had to be, they are listed structures.

I think it's great that they kept the pitch as a garden.

Piss off back to south London where you belong.

• Like 1

I'm sure Chicog knows the point I made there....it didn't "start" in the 1990's....clubs have long been moved here and there....for sure modern safety standards have forced changes and I'm sure more will follow.

The main problem nowadays is funding these improvements....especially in urban areas.

I am rather hoping that one day " All Football Grounds " will be closed .... ( " Fabulous " ) F.J x

your be well dust by then my friend football here for ever in our time and when the grounds are empty and the fad has worn off there allways some thing else to replace it ROLLERBALL

anyway england should close all their football grounds, useless, untill they have any goal keepers, middfielders or strikers on German level

clap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

some greetings from the world champion biggrin.png

But keep the Polish and Ireland stadia open!

• Like 1

I believe one reason it might have been kept as a garden is out of respect to the number of fans' ashes scattered on it over the years.

When are you moving to Milton Keynes again? North London will finally be free of that awful smell.

biggrin.png

When are you moving to Milton Keynes again? North London will finally be free of that awful smell.

biggrin.png

Perhaps you pikeys should go back to Woolwich where you belong.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm sure Chicog knows the point I made there....it didn't "start" in the 1990's....clubs have long been moved here and there....for sure modern safety standards have forced changes and I'm sure more will follow.

The main problem nowadays is funding these improvements....especially in urban areas.

Yep and the potential of increased revenue from ticket sales.

anyway england should close all their football grounds, useless, untill they have any goal keepers, middfielders or strikers on German level

clap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

It appears even German players are not up to a German standard, hence the borrowing of many Turkish and polish players. Ozil, Klosse, Podolski are barely scraping at German surnames! What ever happened to the days of German national team with German names like Ruminegger, Voller, Matheus, Bierhoff, Klinsmann and so on!

FYI English sides have won the Champions league more than German sides, and more different teams than any other league (Villa, Nottingham Forrest, United, Liverpool and Chelsea) That is 5 different winners compared to Germany (2) Spain (2) Italy (3) Holland (2).

• Like 2

Good posts Andrew65 and DerekMarshall.My team Sunderland moved out of Roker Park to The Stadium of Light.Roker Park is now a housing estate and after Saturdays 8-0 defeat by Southampton they have yet to see the light.

As far as SiggiCM is concerned. Germany always do well in the world cup due to their organising ability and oustanding managers but who wants to watch such clinical,boring stuff. Big blond defenders booting the ball down the middle.No stars and no flair. Just a big yawn.

I think football is treated with too much importance. All clubs should have a sign above every entrance saying,"IT IS ONLY A GAME".

Good posts Andrew65 and DerekMarshall.My team Sunderland moved out of Roker Park to The Stadium of Light.Roker Park is now a housing estate and after Saturdays 8-0 defeat by Southampton they have yet to see the light.

As far as SiggiCM is concerned. Germany always do well in the world cup due to their organising ability and oustanding managers but who wants to watch such clinical,boring stuff. Big blond defenders booting the ball down the middle.No stars and no flair. Just a big yawn.

I think football is treated with too much importance. All clubs should have a sign above every entrance saying,"IT IS ONLY A GAME".

Being half Spanish and living most of my life in Spain I can tell you the secret behind Spain´s recient success!..P*ssed off at not winning gold (only got silver) at the Barcelona 92 olympics. They decided to invest in coaching and pro referees all levels (even under 8´s). Spain has a population of around 45million and has 20,000 FIFA pro licensed coaches. England approx 60 million and 5,000 FIFA pro licensed coaches meaning the older boys are the ones that get the top coaches and not so much the younger ones.

Germany does well due to strong mentality and will power, power of the mind, winning mentality if you like and yes good old fashioned tactical nous! pretty sure too lesser games (34 league matches) and winter break helps them out too (i.e no/less of an end of a long hard season burn out syndrome!).

Just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 1

DerekMarshall.I agree with every word you write.I love the English pemiership because of its cut and thrust but there must be more home grown English talent in the club teams. More competition for places in the international team.But I must say I enjoyed the style of football played by Spain in the world cup before last.They deserved to win.

• Like 1

The atmosphere won't have changed much.

I must admit I absolutely hate " Football " but what I find rather strange are these "types" that dress in a football top and then go to a bar and shout at a TV screen (whilst using " colorful language " at the same time....) Isn't it dreadful viewers...?

Farang Jaidee x

• Like 1

I must admit I absolutely hate " Football " but what I find rather strange are these "types" that dress in a football top and then go to a bar and shout at a TV screen (whilst using " colorful language " at the same time....) Isn't it dreadful viewers...?

Farang Jaidee x

You prefer the "types" with an Adam's apple and do me pumps ?wai2.gif

• Like 1

Farang Jaidee x

And yet you waste your time posting on a football thread? Some very strange specimens on TVlaugh.png

Make JD right on this onethumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by wilai

DerekMarshall.I agree with every word you write.I love the English pemiership because of its cut and thrust but there must be more home grown English talent in the club teams. More competition for places in the international team.But I must say I enjoyed the style of football played by Spain in the world cup before last.They deserved to win.

La liga had something like starting 11 every side they had to have at least 5 players eligible to play for the national team. Rule I am defo for..Spain btw upuntil few seasons ago were not just European Chamipons and World champions at senior level but at every level right down to U17.

What I do not like is when two brothers play for two different countries (Boateng Brothers)..or when players are nationalised via residency (Read brazilain born Marcos Senna with Spain and Deco and Pepe with Portugal, and just about half of the French world cup winning side! Which brings about a unique and world class 18 year old Scottish striker at Real Madrid Jack Harper..Scottish by parenthood (both), Born in andalucia, never set foot it Scotland wants to reject Spain in favour of Scotland! Under the residency Rule a superstar Briazillian could sign for say United at 13 stay in UK 5 years apply for and get passport based on residency..play for England! (not to dissimilar to the offer an 18 year old Leo Messi had for Spain!).

On the grounds issue I do feel some clubs will lose character if the change stadium rather than redevelop existing stadia! Cant imagine a Liverpool being the same not playing at Annfield in front of the Kop or Chelsea in front of the shed end. Some things are legendary and part of the folklore of the clubs and should not be changed!

• Like 1

First time I've heard the Shed end being deemed to be legendary. Last time I went in the 70s the whole place was a cr@pholebiggrin.png. Worst stadium in London with the possible exception of Brentford.

Not a statement borne out of club rivalry - Anfield, WHL and St James Park stood out as great grounds to watch football at in those days. I liked Deepdale too.

First time I've heard the Shed end being deemed to be legendary. Last time I went in the 70s the whole place was a cr@pholebiggrin.png. Worst stadium in London with the possible exception of Brentford.

Not a statement borne out of club rivalry - Anfield, WHL and St James Park stood out as great grounds to watch football at in those days. I liked Deepdale too.

Mr Arsenal, There are exeptions to the rule..I never Imagined Arsenal being the same after a move out of Highbury (barely a legendary stadium) with the execmpyion of Arsenal fans, but they have done well in making the Emerate their new home. Essentially what I am saying some clubs would lose some of their character if they moved from stadiums. Even in Spainish we know Old trafford as the "teatro de Suenyos - no translation required huh!" Some elements of football is in folklore and should nt be changed, IMO FWTW the shed end for Chelsea fans comes into that. Perhaps why Barcelona and Madrid do not try to curb so much the Boixa Nois and Ultra Surs, which are holigans! the very vocal part of the clubs FCB has about 20,000 Boixa Nois every home match.

My generation still call Chelski "The Bates Motel".

wink.png