Manchester City

mrbojangles

See what happens when you get some money, now you are supposed to be in the hunt for Michael Owen as well as the previously reported Roque Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy, etc., etc.

Read more here from today's Telegraph :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...l-Owen-bid.html

..but then again we don't believe all we read do we..........?... :o

6 million quid.............. i'd drive the little fcuker there myself........ someone will try and buy him this transfer window we need the money.

Seasons can change in a flash. Your'e only 4 points from the drop zone yourself and only 7 from bottom. Be careful of the gloating :o

Youre right but im using the theory that there are a few teams worse then us as we arent looking to bad of late, Man City arent one of them.

See what i mean Spydee. A week later and your now only 2 points from the drop zone and 4 points from bottom. And we're above you, albeit on goal diff. This is a tight season from about 7th place, right down to the bottom.

From skysports:-

Hughes hails City 'character'

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes praised the 'character' of his side following their late 2-2 draw at former club Blackburn Rovers.

Hughes left Rovers to take over at City in the summer and the Welshman looked to be destined for defeat upon his return to Ewood Park.

Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts scored to hand Rovers a two-goal lead, but City struck twice in the final two minutes through Daniel Sturridge and Robinho to rescue a point.

And despite recently insisting that his side were not in a relegation battle, under-pressure Hughes lauded the spirit of his team as their comeback secured a two-point advantage over the drop zone.

"When it gets to the last stages, and the situation we are, we were struggling a little bit, Hughes told Sky Sports 1.

"But the lads showed some fantastic effort and great commitment to keep going and I think we deserved something out of the game.

"It is difficult because we were playing back-to-back games, it was the same for both teams, and the spark for flowing football just wasn't there today.

"For much of the first half the ball was bypassing our midfield. What we had to do in the second half was get the ball down and try and pick the right pass at the right time.

"In the end we got our reward because we showed great character."

Meanwhile, Hughes is eager to persuade Sturridge, who has attracted interest from Chelsea, to commit his long-term future to the Eastlands outfit.

"I want to keep Daniel at the club because this is the best place for him to learn," added Hughes.

"We want to bring some good players here and that will create the right type of environment that is conducive to good football.

"I think negotiations are quite close now.

"For some reason Daniel has been allowed to get in the last year of his contract, which swings the situation back towards the player.

"If I had been here then, I would not have allowed it to happen."

Threat of player cull affecting form, says Robinho

By Soccernet staff

December 30, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City star Robinho believes that the threat of a player cull and the expected spending spree during the January transfer window could be a factor in the Citizens' inconsistent form.

GettyImages

Robinho: star of the Man City team.

The Brazil international has revealed that the continual transfer speculation at Eastlands has left several players in the City dressing room wondering how much longer they may be at the club with high-priced replacements said to be on the way.

That, according to £32.5 million forward, could explain why a squad that achieved so much more under previous coach Sven Goran Eriksson have found themselves in a relegation battle in recent weeks.

"It is incredible that with this squad we have appeared to be fighting relegation," Robinho said in the Daily Mail. "I must admit I don't really understand it and it has been the one question talked about more than any other in our dressing room.

"One theory I have is that the constant rumours about possible reinforcements in January have damaged us in some way

"Some of my team-mates do perhaps fear for their future and that is not positive, I guess. But there is nothing we can do about that apart from try not to let it affect us."

Robinho's injury-time equaliser rescued a point for City against Blackburn Rovers on Sunday, avoiding an 11th defeat of the season for a club which is only two points above the drop zone.

City recovered from 2-0 down with three minutes to go, and Robinho expects the fightback to spur the club on.

"If we show the pride that we did in the last game then we will be okay," he said. "We will get better and better and the things that have happened in the last few weeks will be forgotten about."

Robinho also vowed to improve his own performances. The 24-year-old has scored 12 goals since joining from Real Madrid on deadline day in August, but insisted there is more to come.

"I have to say that still I am not really happy with my performances," he said. "People have not seen the big Robinho yet. They have not seen the real Robinho.

"I want to be king of Manchester City. I said that when I left Real Madrid, but I don't think I have achieved it yet.

When City are clicking with Robinho, Wright-Philipps and Ireland linking up, they are one of the, if not the best, attacking forces in the league. I thoroughly enjoyed that Hull match. What a game, what a game.

Your'e right there jimjim. We just need to shore up the defence a bit better.

From skysports:-

Richards ready for arrivals

Micah Richards has told skysports.com that he expects Manchester City to bolster the squad in all departments in the January transfer window.

City, fuelled by the riches of the Abu Dhabi United Group, have been linked with numerous high-profile names in the New Year.

The likes of AC Milan star Kaka and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon have been mooted as potential targets, but City boss Mark Hughes has yet to reveal the players on his shortlist.

The Eastlands club signed Brazilian attacker Robinho from Real Madrid for a British record fee of £32.5million in the summer, and similar lavish spending is predicted.

England defender Richards admits it is an exciting time to be at the City of Manchester Stadium, and is hopeful Hughes' recruitments will ensure the club become a force to be reckoned with.

He told skysports.com at an adidas Predator photo shoot: "When the top teams strengthen they strengthen in all positions. They don't just look at one part of the team.

"I think we'll be looking all over the field. The more players we get the better.

"The financial backing does make it exciting to be at the club. We can go out and buy anyone we want now.

"I think we need to get the right mix and blend. I don't think we should overdo it. We need players with the right mentality. It is about being sensible."

City close on Bridge deal

Manchester City are in talks with Chelsea over a deal for Wayne Bridge, Sky Sports News sources understand.

Mark Hughes is known to be a long-term admirer of the England international left-back and is expected to spend heavily in the January transfer window.

City are keen to improve their squad defensively, with the club's backline having failed to convince over the course of a season that has seen them concede 30 league goals to date.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News earlier on Thursday, Hughes confirmed he was hopeful of bringing in new players sooner rather than later.

It is expected Hughes will return to former club Blackburn in a bid to land Roque Santa Cruz, but it is the Bridge deal that looks closer to completion.

Bridge is well regarded at Stamford Bridge but has almost always had to play second fiddle to Ashley Cole, since the left-back's move to the club from Arsenal in 2006.

Backed by the Abu Dhabi United Group it is expected City will be by far the biggest spenders in the transfer window.

City close on Bridge deal

Manchester City are in talks with Chelsea over a deal for Wayne Bridge, Sky Sports News sources understand.

Mark Hughes is known to be a long-term admirer of the England international left-back and is expected to spend heavily in the January transfer window.

City are keen to improve their squad defensively, with the club's backline having failed to convince over the course of a season that has seen them concede 30 league goals to date.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News earlier on Thursday, Hughes confirmed he was hopeful of bringing in new players sooner rather than later.

It is expected Hughes will return to former club Blackburn in a bid to land Roque Santa Cruz, but it is the Bridge deal that looks closer to completion.

Bridge is well regarded at Stamford Bridge but has almost always had to play second fiddle to Ashley Cole, since the left-back's move to the club from Arsenal in 2006.

Backed by the Abu Dhabi United Group it is expected City will be by far the biggest spenders in the transfer window.

Always injured, bad Signing for anyone in my opinion...

Are you sure? He can't be worse than this idjit :o

a mate of mine used to work for saints and said that on one occasion bridge phoned james beattie up to come round and help him get his playstation working. apparently bridge wanted to play fifa football but couldn't get the game working whatever he did. beattie had to point out to him that in order for the game to work the CD had to actually be inside the playstation and not on the coffee table.

agreed, bridge is handy when he's fit but he rarely is. he's also apparently one of the stupidest footballers to ever play the game.

Jermaine Pennat by a mile apparently but i can see Bridge being thick as sh*t..

You heard the story Macmahon said on ESPN about Pennant when he first signed for Liverpool ??

agreed, bridge is handy when he's fit but he rarely is. he's also apparently one of the stupidest footballers to ever play the game.

Jermaine Pennat by a mile apparently but i can see Bridge being thick as sh*t..

You heard the story Macmahon said on ESPN about Pennant when he first signed for Liverpool ??

don't think so, what was that one?

though it'll take some doing to match the legendary stories about jason 'trigger' mcateer when he played for us.

Are you sure? He can't be worse than this idjit :o

a mate of mine used to work for saints and said that on one occasion bridge phoned james beattie up to come round and help him get his playstation working. apparently bridge wanted to play fifa football but couldn't get the game working whatever he did. beattie had to point out to him that in order for the game to work the CD had to actually be inside the playstation and not on the coffee table.

What's a Playstation? :D

Been supporting City for 40+ years.

We have never had an opportunity like we have right now, of becoming one of the superpowers.

We are now, generally speaking, the richest club in world football. This is our biggest chance ever.

Didnt see the game today, seen the reports which all say we deserved to lose. Against Forest, a poor 2nd division side, 0-3. <deleted> to all this "well its a cup game anything can happen". Its a disgrace.

If I were Citys owners, forget about anymore spending. Go and get Mourinho. Whatever it takes. Then start the spending.

If we cannot get Mourinho, then I guess Paul Jewell is available......he is ok at keeping teams up ( well sometimes)

Anyone is better than this clown

I was following the game on sky sports, the text commentary when it was 0-2 went................... "Well City need to find goals from somewhere, and now Hughes has got Hamann warming up"

Its a f####ing nonsense. This is not a knee jerk reaction, Hughes hasnt got a clue

Been supporting City for 40+ years.

We have never had an opportunity like we have right now, of becoming one of the superpowers.

We are now, generally speaking, the richest club in world football. This is our biggest chance ever.

Didnt see the game today, seen the reports which all say we deserved to lose. Against Forest, a poor 2nd division side, 0-3. <deleted> to all this "well its a cup game anything can happen". Its a disgrace.

If I were Citys owners, forget about anymore spending. Go and get Mourinho. Whatever it takes. Then start the spending.

If we cannot get Mourinho, then I guess Paul Jewell is available......he is ok at keeping teams up ( well sometimes)

Anyone is better than this clown

I was following the game on sky sports, the text commentary when it was 0-2 went................... "Well City need to find goals from somewhere, and now Hughes has got Hamann warming up"

Its a f####ing nonsense. This is not a knee jerk reaction, Hughes hasnt got a clue

By the way, I was joking about Paul Jewell :o

Maybe Ian Dowie.

From an outsiders point of view & one that genuinely quite likes City, you're worrying me..

Just listening to Talk Sport & your Fans are saying that they should go & get Mourinho, as did the Fella above ^^ ?????????????????

Gentlemen, you've got a lot of money, but <deleted> me Chaps, have a reality check, please !!!!

Why the <deleted> would Mourinho leave Inter to go to Man City ???

Please don't be or get deluded Chaps just because for the first time in your History, you have a sniff of success, please...

Build, build, build over 5 or so Years, like Chelsea did, with solid foundations throughout the Club over time..

If you try & buy it in a year & think you're gonna get this success in the click of the fingers, you could end up bang on your arse Chaps & in a worse situation than you've ever been in, & i know you've been in some before...

As it stands & with yoru Supporters on Forums & Radio Talk Shows saying the thinmgs they currently are about Mourinho etc, i bet the Red Side of the City are laughing their T*ts off, unfortunately...

Edited by MSingh

Hughes will be gone this week.

You will end up in the bottom half of the table, and most top players wont want to touch it with a barge pole during the transfer window.

It may be a lot different at the end of the season, if the Rug Riders start to splash the cash.

Edited by mrtoad

From an outsiders point of view & one that genuinely quite likes City, you're worrying me..

Just listening to Talk Sport & your Fans are saying that they should go & get Mourinho, as did the Fella above ^^ ?????????????????

Gentlemen, you've got a lot of money, but <deleted> me Chaps, have a reality check, please !!!!

Please don't be or get deluded Chaps just because for the first time in your History, you have a sniff of success, please...

Build, build, build over 5 or so Years, like Chelsea did, with solid foundations throughout the Club over time..

If you try & buy it in a year & think you're gonna get this success in the click of the fingers, you could end up bang on your arse Chaps & in a worse situation than you've ever been in, & i know you've been in some before...

As it stands & with yoru Supporters on Forums & Radio Talk Shows saying the thinmgs they currently are about Mourinho etc, i bet the Red Side of the City are laughing their T*ts off, unfortunately...

Dont need a reality check.

Fact 1) We are now the richest club in football

Fact 2) We are one of the best supported clubs in the Premiership, with a hard core of loyal fans

Fact 3) We have a magnificent stadium and facilities that are second to none

Fact 4) We have one of, if not THE, best youth set ups in the country ( winners of the youth cup last year)

Fact 5) We have won SFA for the last 32 yrs

Any manager coming into City is doing so with absolutely zero downside, but with huge upsides.

Mourinho, has a huge ego, would be offered a lot more money than he is earning right now. He hates Italy, loves the premiership. This is an opportunity that I feel he would NEVER turn down.

I am not suggesting this will be a quick fix. I have always said minimum of 3 years. I do not expect to win every game, and there will be disappointments on the way, but yesterday was more of a disappointment, it showed, to me, that Hughes has little or no respect from the players. They are NOT playing for him. I do not miond losing, as long as the players put in the effort. That is not happening right now.

Bring on Mourinho, the sooner the better.

jackndanny, think there are certainly some downsides. expectation level, pressure to deliver to fans, pressure to deliver in the short-term to the owners, the fact that clubs will hold you to ransom on players. . . .it's not an easy job.

and on mourinho, i'm not sure he would move to a club that isn't in the champions league anyway.

Dont need a reality check.

Fact 1) We are now the richest club in football

Fact 2) We are one of the best supported clubs in the Premiership, with a hard core of loyal fans

My point entirely..

Sorry Mate, as i said, from an outsider looking in & whther you like it or not, you all do, some more than most ( & i don't necessarily mean you personally )...

I'd rather be skint than listen to the tripe what i've been hearing some of your Fans been saying lately, just because you have now got some legitimate $$, i find it embaressing & as i've said previously, i just hope that you don't lose your morals as a Club & set of Fans just because of this new found wealth..

& as i say, the way they're saying what they're saying on Public Talk Shows etc & the Club are shaping up, the Red half of Manchester must be in hystericsain, with the way it's currently going..

Maybe you need one of those MEN Poll's again, like the other lot did with Ferguson all those years back..

Just shows how good us Fans are when knowing a good Manager when we see one... :o

Oh & i'm not doubting you're well supported, but taking away Forest travelling support yesterday, you only just filled half of your Ground so you, like the rest of the Fans in the Country, are not as great as you think you are but you shouldn't expect to be due to the Financial Crisis...

Edited by MSingh

I dont think Mourinho will leave Inter this season with them still being in the Champions League.

Also I dont think many big name players will want to come to City in the January transfer window with them struggling like they are at the moment.

The end of season is where you could get these players and a big name manager as well,assuming Hughes is running out of time fast.

The FA Cup was Citys last chance to make something of this season and they blew it big style !

Bet Sven Goran Erikkson is having a quiet laugh about all this !