Manchester City

mrbojangles

Seems your skint...

Filed: Tuesday, 11th August 2009

By: Staff Writer

Manchester City are said to have dropped their interest in Matthew Upson having refused to meet West Ham's asking price.

According to morning reports in the Express and Independent, City - already frustrated by their failure to land their main target, Everton's Joleon Lescott - have now turned their attention to Portsmouth centre half Sylvain Distin after the Hammers demanded £15million for the England defender.

It was suggested yesterday that a deal to take Upson to Manchester was on the verge of completion, whilst Hammers CEO Scott Duxbury admitted in a statement posted on whufc.com last night that player sales during the current transfer window were still a possibility - but only if "Gianfranco [Zola] thinks it is in the best interests of the squad as a whole and it is right for the club."

The former Birmingham City captain - who joined United in January 2007 - is yet to agree a new contract despite having held negotiations with the club earlier in the year. With less than two years remaining on his current arrangement, the club may feel that cashing in on 30-year-old Upson now would free vital funds with which to improve other areas of the squad.

* An article by Rob Draper in the Mail claiming that Upson's sale had been ordered by the club's owners CB Holdings was denied by Duxbury, who said:

"The club's position today remains the same as it was last week or as it was in January. There is no question of Straumur forcing us to sell anyone - in fact we are actively looking for new players.

"The papers are unsurprisingly full of speculation at this time of year - but the situation is clear."

JOLEON LESCOTT was last night considering handing in a written transfer request in a bid to revive a move to Manchester City.

City boss Mark Hughes had virtually given up on the deal after having two bids of £15million and £18m for England defender Lescott rejected by Everton. But he is understood to be still keen to join City and hopes a written request will trigger an improved bid of £22.5m. But the chances are it may still be too late to weaken Everton’s determination to keep hold of one of their key players.

Hughes is keen to revive the Lescott deal after refusing to match West Ham’s £15m asking price for Matthew Upson – City’s valuation is nearer £10m. Hughes is also ready to bring Portsmouth’s Sylvain Distin back to City.

Daily Express

Seems your skint...

Nope Singhy. Just not being held to ransom. Yes, we know we will have to pay over the top but to go ridiculously over the top is a joke. I don't blame Hughes or Sheikh Mubarak for saying Fekk off. This could also be part of the wheeling and dealing process. The player knows we are interested, we reach the max we want to pay, if no deal we pull out and wait for the player to request a transfer.

From the BBC:-

Lescott transfer request rejected

Everton have turned down a transfer request from Joleon Lescott, who is being targeted by Manchester City.

The Goodison Park outfit have knocked back bids of £15m and £18m from Manchester City for the centre-back.

"I have always said that we are not selling any players and that has not changed," Toffees boss David Moyes told the club's website.

Lescott, 26, is currently on international duty with England ahead of a friendly against the Netherlands.

But he played in a friendly for Everton in a 2-1 win over Malaga last Friday and was cheered throughout by the Merseyside club's fans.

But, if the supporters were trying to urge Lescott to stay, their attempts appear to have fallen on deaf ears as the central defender has put his desire to leave the club in writing.

More to follow.

If Everton do sell him for what they want youve got to give them credit for playing Man City the way they have, if i were a betting man i'd say he'll be bought before deadline day!

Thing is he isnt anything more then an ok footballer never worth a penny more then 10 million if the market wasnt so distorted by clubs like Man City.

Edited by sanmiguellight

Seems your skint...

Nope Singhy. Just not being held to ransom. Yes, we know we will have to pay over the top but to go ridiculously over the top is a joke. I don't blame Hughes or Sheikh Mubarak for saying Fekk off. This could also be part of the wheeling and dealing process. The player knows we are interested, we reach the max we want to pay, if no deal we pull out and wait for the player to request a transfer.

I wasn't being serious for even a tenth of a second there BJ... :D

With regards to the deal, i've read we want 15m, i don't think that is being held to ransom in the slightest for the 3rd best Centre Back in England ( argue with Capello if you don't agree with that, not me ) to be honest given what you allegedly were gonna pay John Terry, do you ??

& no disrespect but you wonder why people ( i don't believe we are in this case ) are possibly holding you to ransom when you paid 14.5m after an initial 7m bid was turned down ( that's over double ) for Sparky's Mate Craig Bellamy along with the De Jong deal which was nothing short of scandalous given the circumstances of it ?? :)

Come on, we all love our Clubs but we don't have to defend everything they do to the hilt even when it's wrong do we ??

You make the Bed, you have to lay in it...

If Everton do sell him for what they want youve got to give them credit for playing Man City the way they have, if i were a betting man i'd say he'll be bought before deadline day!

Thing is he isnt anything more then an ok footballer never worth a penny more then 10 million if the market wasnt so distorted by clubs like Man City.

I think he's shit personally & i'm embaressed he's actually made England Squads....

Absolutely. Manchester City have pushed the nail further into the coffin of football, imo. If other clubs are holding the richest club in the world to ransom, then they deserve every bit of fronting that they get. Hughes is desperate for defenders and everyone knows it, so they're going to squeeze them for each and every million possible. Who can blame them ? It's the name of the game.

Hughes is desperate for defenders and everyone knows it, so they're going to squeeze them for each and every million possible. Who can blame them ? It's the name of the game.

Listen guys, I've nothing against every team trying to get as much out of us as they can. As you say that's business. But we had to strengthen our squad and have to pay over the top. But then you all cry that the market is distorted by clubs like Man City. Well I might argue that the clubs selling the player are distorting the market cos they know we have the money. Buying and selling is a two way contract. :)

Hughes is desperate for defenders and everyone knows it, so they're going to squeeze them for each and every million possible. Who can blame them ? It's the name of the game.

Listen guys, I've nothing against every team trying to get as much out of us as they can. As you say that's business. But we had to strengthen our squad and have to pay over the top. But then you all cry that the market is distorted by clubs like Man City. Well I might argue that the clubs selling the player are distorting the market cos they know we have the money. Buying and selling is a two way contract. :)

Oh i have nothing at all against City's $$, for sure, & i'm desperate for your lot to break that awful " Top 4 " as if there is one Clubs Fans that deserve it, i'm completely aware that your lot would be very, very high on my list..

However your desperation for immediate success, & that's what it is, desperation for success ( & it isn't a bad thing, just what it is ) is causing a distortion of a very, very Transfer Market especially in a Global Recession..

However, in the real World of Football ( you're not in the real World with the $$ you're spending & even you & J&D would surely admit that ) outside of Sheikh's, many of the Players you have bought this particular Summer & are in the Market for would be a fraction of the Price you have paid for them if the likes of Blackburn, Everton, Villa for example, would have come in for them..

If Everton would have come in for Bellamy for example, i doubt if we would have got our money back ( 7.5m ) on a Player who was regulary injured & who's Goal scoring record is hardly impressive for the time spent at West Ham, the Club you bought him from..

Bellamy = 18 Months at West Ham, 21 Appearances, 7 Goals = You doubled our Money for him virtually, that's madness..

RSC = 2008/09, 27 Appearances, 6 Goals after an impressive previous Season = You decide to give Blackburn their Money back 5 TIMES ( yes 5 Times ) over than what they paid for him from Bayern, that's lunacy, absolute lunacy..

& i'm completely aware that City's $$ wealth being spread around the League is helpful for the Game/League in a Global recession, of course it is..

But you're fighting a losing battle if you think that people are gonna swallow you're argument that the distortion of the Transfer Market isn't just City's doing but the Selling Club too... :D

Not when you're paying the money that your'e doing for Players BJ..

Still, i'd still laugh my t*ts off if you upset the Apple Cart next Year & in the words of the Messiah of the Geordie nation, i'd love it, i'd love it !! :D

Not really, mr bj. Manchester City have opened a market which other clubs simply cannot compete. It's an unequal relationship in which the selling club may not want to lose their player, but aren't in a position to offer the same wages as Manchester City. So naturally, any club will hike up the price because they know that Manchester City alone can afford to pay that over-inflated transfer fee and/or deter them by demanding a fee over and above what they may be willing to pay, e.g. as seems to have happened with Matthew Upson. Yes it's a financial contract, but one ultimately determined by the amount of wealth that Manchester City have at their disposal.

You could argue that this has been happening for years when , for instance, Premiership clubs have raided lower division clubs for their best players. True, and one which many have long seen as being to the detriment of the selling club and lower=league football generally. But Manchester City (and Chelsea before them) have taken this to a whole new level , where it's not only the smaller , lower-league clubs that can't resist the pressure to sell, but clubs in the same league also. Therefore, what we're experiencing is a distorted market due solely to the inequality in wealth and the economic clout of one party, and not determined by a natural equilibrium in any contractual agreement as to a players actual worth. Ultimately, it's an unequal power relationship. If Manchester City are determined enough they can , and have, bought players above their actual worth and with which, ultimately, other clubs cannot keep hold of their assets.

However your desperation for immediate success, & that's what it is, desperation for success :)

Absolutely Singhy, abso-fekkin-lutely. I'm cracking on in years now you know and although it's been a roller coaster ride for us Blues, it really is about time I saw some silverware. :D

Not really, mr bj. Manchester City have opened a market which other clubs simply cannot compete.

I hear what your'e saying HH but I ain't gonna feel no guilt about what I consider, is for us to be in a very lucky position. We haven't "opened" the market to anything at all. For time eternal, many other clubs have been breaking record deals (remember Man United with Ferdinand for a defender for instance) and this summer has seen Real Madrid dwarf our spending. We are just trying to play catch up in the Premier League to what at least the "big four" have been doing for years.

However your desperation for immediate success, & that's what it is, desperation for success :)

Absolutely Singhy, abso-fekkin-lutely. I'm cracking on in years now you know and although it's been a roller coaster ride for us Blues, it really is about time I saw some silverware. :D

Not really, mr bj. Manchester City have opened a market which other clubs simply cannot compete.

I hear what your'e saying HH but I ain't gonna feel no guilt about what I consider, is for us to be in a very lucky position. We haven't "opened" the market to anything at all. For time eternal, many other clubs have been breaking record deals (remember Man United with Ferdinand for a defender for instance) and this summer has seen Real Madrid dwarf our spending. We are just trying to play catch up in the Premier League to what at least the "big four" have been doing for years.

Mr Bo with all is money Mr shake ya monay could buy u a replica for ya little trophy cupboard he may even be able to afford glass doors for it :D

However your desperation for immediate success, & that's what it is, desperation for success :D

Mr Bo with all is money Mr shake ya monay could buy u a replica for ya little trophy cupboard he may even be able to afford glass doors for it :D

We don't need glass doors Mali, as there's nothing inside to see :)

However your desperation for immediate success, & that's what it is, desperation for success :D

We don't need glass doors Mali, as there's nothing inside to see :)

I think u may have a chance in the Carling cup surely that would have been a good year for u hey! At least he could build a little cupboard somewhere in a corner of Eastlands for it :D i think the PS is a dream for u this year i think if i was a citee fan i'd be worried about not gettin shown up on my first game u know like 7-1 :D the boys not gel in an all that.

Shame our first game wasn't against u lot i have a ticket for Sunday at O/T but i won't bother with the trophy room as i'll think i'm back home in Thailand with all that sunshine it emits :D

I don't know what Language is & i don't know what it means but i do recognise some words......................... :)

Manchester City will Lionel Messi um jeden Preis

Lionel Messi vom FC Barcelona wird heftig von Manchester City umworden.

Der Transferwahnsinn im europäischen Fußball könnte bald in eine neue Dimension gehen. Laut der spanischen Tageszeitung "Marca" bietet der englische Premier-League-Klub Manchester City 150 Millionen Euro Ablöse für Lionel Messi vom FC Barcelona. Sollte der Deal klappen, könnte der argentinische Nationalspieler sein Gehalt dann selbst bestimmen. Bei einem geplanten Zehn-Jahres-Vertrag steht eine Gesamtsumme von 300 Millionen Euro im Raum.

Edit : Here's the link, it's from the Fatherland..

http://sport.t-online.de/c/19/66/46/46/19664646.html

Edited by MSingh

We haven't "opened" the market to anything at all. For time eternal, many other clubs have been breaking record deals (remember Man United with Ferdinand for a defender for instance) and this summer has seen Real Madrid dwarf our spending. We are just trying to play catch up in the Premier League to what at least the "big four" have been doing for years.

It's not really the point whether there have been record breaking deals concerning individual players in the past or not -- it'd have been very surprising if otherwise. Nor that Manchester City are -- as yet -- sixty million behind Real Madrid buying in the transfer market. Although I've always considered Real Madrid to be a loathsome club anyway, they are at least Real Madrid. Think on whether the egos of world class players would sooner sit on the bench of Real Madrid because of who they are, and then Manchester City.

However, the point is that as Blackburn Rovers bought their way into temporary success. Chelsea more permantely and now Manchester City are attempting to do the same -- each have all contributed to distorting the market value for players. But only Manchester City have left many to scratch their heads as there seems to be buying the most pricey at the cost of uneven development in terms of building a cohesive team. In this sense they have opened up a market that doesn't necessarily follow any logic. But spending only to appease the Sheik owners new plaything and the desire for Manchester City supporters to achieve the success -- that has always been the forte of their geographical rivals -- at any price.

For most that value their club's integrity, that would have been a price too far if their own had gone along the same route.

From BBC Sport:

Rovers will target Man City stars

Blackburn midfielder David Dunn has warned big-spending Manchester City that Rovers will "kick lumps" out of their star players on Saturday.

City, who have spent almost £100m on players this summer, begin their Premier League campaign at Ewood Park.

"It's important we do our best and kick lumps out of them - fairly of course," Dunn told the Daily Star.

"We must be strong and organised. The main thing is we will have to be really aggressive and knock them about a bit."

City manager Mark Hughes, who left Blackburn to take charge at Eastlands in June 2008, is expected to field several of his new multi-million pound signings on the opening day of the new season.

Dunn feels they could need time to settle, and hopes Blackburn can take advantage.

"I think it is a good time to play City," he added.

"Unfortunately we don't have the same resources. But what we do have is an even level on that pitch and as soon as the lads cross the white line the money doesn't really matter. It's about how much you want it."

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce also feels Hughes might struggle to bed in his new players into his expensively assembled side.

"A whole group of new players, or five or six new players, is certainly something that causes you a few problems," Allardyce explained.

"I've suffered it in the past myself at previous clubs where nine or 10 new players have come in and we've tried to play them all at the start of the season.

"While they have been very good players, there has been some disruption there.

"I hope that might be the case against Manchester City on Saturday. If it is, then we have to try and take advantage of that."

Expectations are high at City ahead of the new season but Allardyce is keen to give them as difficult a time as possible in their first game.

"Everybody will expect success instantly at Manchester City, that's the pressure they have got to live with," he said.

"For us it's about trying to spoil their party, being that they think that they can come to a place like Blackburn Rovers and beat us comfortably with that kind of spending.

"We're certainly going to go all out to make sure that's not the case."

From BBC Sport:

Blackburn midfielder David Dunn has warned big-spending Manchester City that Rovers will "kick lumps" out of their star players on Saturday.

City, who have spent almost £100m on players this summer, begin their Premier League campaign at Ewood Park.

"It's important we do our best and kick lumps out of them - fairly of course," Dunn told the Daily Star.

"We must be strong and organised. The main thing is we will have to be really aggressive and knock them about a bit."

City manager Mark Hughes, who left Blackburn to take charge at Eastlands in June 2008, is expected to field several of his new multi-million pound signings on the opening day of the new season.

Dunn feels they could need time to settle, and hopes Blackburn can take advantage.

"I think it is a good time to play City," he added.

"Unfortunately we don't have the same resources. But what we do have is an even level on that pitch and as soon as the lads cross the white line the money doesn't really matter. It's about how much you want it."

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce also feels Hughes might struggle to bed in his new players into his expensively assembled side.

"A whole group of new players, or five or six new players, is certainly something that causes you a few problems," Allardyce explained.

"I've suffered it in the past myself at previous clubs where nine or 10 new players have come in and we've tried to play them all at the start of the season.

"While they have been very good players, there has been some disruption there.

"I hope that might be the case against Manchester City on Saturday. If it is, then we have to try and take advantage of that."

Expectations are high at City ahead of the new season but Allardyce is keen to give them as difficult a time as possible in their first game.

"Everybody will expect success instantly at Manchester City, that's the pressure they have got to live with," he said.

"For us it's about trying to spoil their party, being that they think that they can come to a place like Blackburn Rovers and beat us comfortably with that kind of spending.

"We're certainly going to go all out to make sure that's not the case."

Dunn can do what he likes, he'll be lucky to get 10 touches of the Ball all Game..

Away Win, for sure...

From BBC Sport:

Dunn can do what he likes, he'll be lucky to get 10 touches of the Ball all Game..

And the stupid dim wit has gave away their game plan. The ref will surely be watching out for the dirty <deleted> now :)

From BBC Sport:

And the stupid dim wit has gave away their game plan. The ref will surely be watching out for the dirty <deleted> now :)

Even when he's fit he doesn't get into their first 11 anyway does he ??

From BBC Sport:

Even when he's fit he doesn't get into their first 11 anyway does he ??

Not too sure Singhy. But I think he only played an handful of games last year.

From Goal.com:- I like Raffa :)

Liverpool Manager Rafael Benitez:

Sir Alex Ferguson ‘Worried’ By Manchester City :D

The Premier League title race last season saw Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez and Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson indulge in a war of words via the media, and the managers are fanning the flames ahead of the start of the new season.

'Fergie' had earlier claimed that Chelsea are the main threat to the Red Devils' status as champions, while the manager of the Merseyside club is disinclined to look at the relationship between the two pillars of their respective clubs.

"I would like to win every game, so we will see how it affects the relationship," Benitez is quoted by The Daily Post as saying.

"I want to win. If our fans are happy, then I’m happy."

When asked if he thought that this was another one of the mind games by the wily Scot, 'Rafa' added, "I have no idea. There are a lot of top sides that can be very, very strong."

Meanwhile, the Reds' boss had his own little jibe at the veteran manager, pointing in the direction of Manchester City.

"We can always talk about the 'top four', but Manchester City are doing a very good job and have bought some excellent players," he said casually.

"They will be a big problem to us, but mainly to United, as they are their neighbours.

"I can understand why Mr. Ferguson at Manchester United is a little bit worried."

Liverpool start their campaign away to Tottenham Hotspur, while the post-Cristiano Ronaldo era at Old Trafford will begin with the Red Devils playing host to Birmingham City on Sunday.

However, the point is that as Blackburn Rovers bought their way into temporary success. Chelsea more permantely and now Manchester City are attempting to do the same -- each have all contributed to distorting the market value for players. But only Manchester City have left many to scratch their heads as there seems to be buying the most pricey at the cost of uneven development in terms of building a cohesive team. In this sense they have opened up a market that doesn't necessarily follow any logic. But spending only to appease the Sheik owners new plaything and the desire for Manchester City supporters to achieve the success -- that has always been the forte of their geographical rivals -- at any price.

For most that value their club's integrity, that would have been a price too far if their own had gone along the same route.

Even the boss of the Premier League doesn't agree with you HH :):D

From Goal.com:-

Manchester City Spending Good For Premier League - Richard Scudamore

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore believes Manchester City's summer spending spree will benefit England's top competition.

The Citizens' new-found wealth has led to the acquisitions of Kolo Toure, Gareth Barry, Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz, with a move for Everton defender Joleon Lescott still reportedly on the cards.

With Toure and Adebayor leaving Arsenal, and Tevez opting out of a possible stay with Manchester United, the Eastlands revolution has stripped prized assets from two of the 'Big Four'.

Scudamore expects those movements to be have a regenerating effect on the country's top tier, and is anticipating an entertaining campaign for Mark Hughes' side.

"I think they’re changing it up," Scudamore told Sky Sports News.

"Whatever happens to Manchester City this season, it’s a story.

"Manchester City challenging for top honours is good for the league and the development of the league."

That'll do nicely. :)

From skysports:-

Hughes hails City start

Blues boss has high hopes after encouraging opener

Manager Mark Hughes believes Manchester City can only get better after kicking off an eagerly-anticipated season with a 2-0 win at Blackburn.

The big-spending Blues laid down a marker with two clinical finishes by Emmanuel Adebayor and Stephen Ireland in a workmanlike performance.

The new-look City side looked confident in possession and going forward, and showed great resolve to keep Blackburn at bay.

The home side launched an aerial assault on Hughes' defence but thanks to two fine saves by City goalkeeper Shay Given, the visitors survived and clinched an opening-day victory through Ireland's stoppage-time strike.

"The key was to get a positive result and that's what we were able to do," Hughes told Sky Sports.

"I thought the guys showed the qualities that will be needed this season. There will be difficult times when we'll need to come together as a team and a squad, and show resilience and strength of character. That was evident today and that's a good sign for us."

Adebayor had a dream debut, firing home an excellent opener after just three minutes, and he worked tirelessly in attack, particularly in the second half when City were determined not to rest on their half-time lead.

"It was an outstanding goal," Hughes added. "It started inside our own box, we very quickly got it up to the other end of the field and it was a great finish by Ade.

"I thought he was outstanding today, he led the line really well and showed great composure.

"He's technically excellent so was always a threat, and all-in-all, it was a really satisfying performance because it's difficult to come here.

"Blackburn really put you under a lot of pressure and they'll win a lot of games playing the way they do because it's difficult to combat, but we were up to the challenge today."

Hughes' first season in charge was hindered by a woeful away record and he is eager to put that right from the outset this term.

There is plenty of room for improvement but the City boss was impressed by how his new signings gelled in just their first competitive outing.

"It (away form) was a cross to bear last year and we needed to address it very quickly," said Hughes.

"We've got seven away games in the first 12 so we need to make sure our form on the road is good and we've made a good start.

"Pre-season's been a little bit fragmented because players have been coming back off international duty, and some players have had longer to recover from the exertions of last season.

"It's maybe the last couple of weeks where we've really got some good work in. I saw some really good signs today and we can only get better."