Manchester City

mrbojangles

Is it me, or does Mancini saying he would settle for fourth spot show a lack of ambition ?

http://news.bbc.co.u...ity/9184225.stm

Lack of ambition ??

For Man City's Manager sayign that he'd settle for them finishing in a spot that will make them qualified for a Competition that they was last in, in 1968 ??

I reckon it's you, coss it definately isn't me..

I suppose success is relative.

Can't imagine the "Chosen One" settling for 4th - but then Man City couldn't attract the "Chosen One"

As far as I am aware, we have never tried to attract the chosen one................yet. But I wouldn't mind if we did.

As for lack of ambition. The original strategy for this year was to finish in a Champions League spot and nothing has changed. Many people still forget that these lads were almost complete strangers a couple of months ago. We have got almost a new squad. How long does it take other teams to gel when they get just one new player?

Mr Bo.

I think success came more quickly for United and Chelsea (arguably Rangers as well, (arguably, Queens Park Rangers as well :)).

Investors have a limit to their patience - their egos need feeding.

Champions league OK, but can you hear SAF or Ancelotti saying - "who gives 4X, 4th will do..."

Mr Bo.

I think success came more quickly for United and Chelsea (arguably Rangers as well, (arguably, Queens Park Rangers as well :)).

Champions league OK, but can you hear SAF or Ancelotti saying - "who gives 4X, 4th will do..."

Give over. It took United years. SAF was almost sacked for doin nowt in 5 years. Chelsea, agreed. As for the other two, as far as I am aware, neither have won the Premiership :D

Agreed investors have a limit but it is they who set the target for this year.

Mr Bo.

Give over. It took United years. SAF was almost sacked for doin nowt in 5 years. Chelsea, agreed. As for the other two, as far as I am aware, neither have won the Premiership :D

Agreed investors have a limit but it is they who set the target for this year.

You are right, of course, SAF was saved by Mark Robbins goal at Forest in the FACUP.

(How bright was Michael Knighton - he was Soooo close to hitting the jackpot)

Sorry, but none of them settled for 4th. :D

See the fans leaving in droves before the end....yeah 4th is OK for City.....only if United finish 5th or worse. ;)

Give over trying to do a wind up will ya. I have already expressed my view on finishing 4th but with a performance like that, we won't. Even though we had more of the possesion and shots (and I still think Tevez goal was ok but I'll have to see a replay) that was an absolute <deleted> performance and no City fan should have been happy with Mancini's tactics. To bring on Santa Cruz and then take off Tevez for Barry was absolute madness.

See the fans leaving in droves before the end....yeah 4th is OK for City.....only if United finish 5th or worse. ;)

Give over trying to do a wind up will ya. I have already expressed my view on finishing 4th but with a performance like that, we won't. Even though we had more of the possesion and shots (and I still think Tevez goal was ok but I'll have to see a replay) that was an absolute <deleted> performance and no City fan should have been happy with Mancini's tactics. To bring on Santa Cruz and then take off Tevez for Barry was absolute madness.

We were simply awful.

However we are still 4th, despite having played badly in several games this season. Only 3 pts behind Utd, and 3 pts ahead of our so called biggest threat.

You guys that are going on about lack of ambition... you are either saying it hoping for a bite, else you know jack about football!!

Had Mancini started saying at the beginning of the season that we were going to win the league, you would have been saying he was delusional!!

4th has always been the target this year, he and the owners have been consistent on that point.

As for Mancini being negative. I actually like his set up. The problem is that his creative players ( Milner/Villa/and Johnson yesterday) are just not playing well and creating enough.

We were simply awful.

However we are still 4th, despite having played badly in several games this season. Only 3 pts behind Utd, and 3 pts ahead of our so called biggest threat.

You guys that are going on about lack of ambition... you are either saying it hoping for a bite, else you know jack about football!!

Had Mancini started saying at the beginning of the season that we were going to win the league, you would have been saying he was delusional!!

4th has always been the target this year, he and the owners have been consistent on that point.

As for Mancini being negative. I actually like his set up. The problem is that his creative players ( Milner/Villa/and Johnson yesterday) are just not playing well and creating enough.

I love your posts, and you know what, they're just getting better. :)

When BK keeps saying " Give Over ", i've got a vision in my head of Betty Turpin saying to him in his Role & it's just stuck with him...:D

Ena Sharples in her fishnet hold-ups Singhy.

Watching City last night was painful,thank god i was on the Sangsom it eased the boredom.

We were simply awful.

I think those that meant that 4th was an unambitious target, simply meant that given the investment it should really be regarded as the 'minimal acceptable achievement.' As you say it would be delusional to expect Man City to win the league this year, however, it would be equally delusional to think that the owners spent so much money on the expectation that 5th was an acceptable result for the club.

We were simply awful.

I think those that meant that 4th was an unambitious target, simply meant that given the investment it should really be regarded as the 'minimal acceptable achievement.' As you say it would be delusional to expect Man City to win the league this year, however, it would be equally delusional to think that the owners spent so much money on the expectation that 5th was an acceptable result for the club.

My feeling is that finishing in the Champion's League is a realistic target for City but isn't it the managers job to be striving to achieve something beyond a realistic target? I think it is and i think it is the attitude of "we're going to punch above our weight" that ultimately brings about improvements. The attitude of "4th is as good as we can expect right now" to me carries a big danger of ending up 5th or 6th.

Aim for what is just beyond your reach rather than for what is just within it, is what i'm trying to say.

We were simply awful.

My feeling is that finishing in the Champion's League is a realistic target for City but isn't it the managers job to be striving to achieve something beyond a realistic target? I think it is and i think it is the attitude of "we're going to punch above our weight" that ultimately brings about improvements. The attitude of "4th is as good as we can expect right now" to me carries a big danger of ending up 5th or 6th.

Aim for what is just beyond your reach rather than for what is just within it, is what i'm trying to say.

You mean go out and look to win every game? All the top sides do that at the moment.......with the exception of a recent derby that is.....:whistling:

You mean go out and look to win every game? All the top sides do that at the moment.......with the exception of a recent derby that is.....:whistling:

You don't need to win every game to win the league, so no, i didn't mean that.

I'm confused. Surely that's a big part of having a winning mentality. I doubt the players will be aiming for fourth....just three points.

You don't need to win every game to win the league, so no, i didn't mean that.

I'm confused.

You and me both. I thought the point i was making about extending beyond one's reach was quite clear, and that for City to be publicly going around saying that 4th is good enough sends the wrong signal. Try me again with the point you are making please. This time with flash cards for a United simpleton. biggrin.gif

I would just repeat the point I made earlier and say we would love to finish in the top four and that's our aim.....yet finishing in front of the Arse would give us as fans a different satisfaction.

If the mincer says he wants fourth he's doing his team and the fans a disservice imo.

I would just repeat the point I made earlier and say we would love to finish in the top four and that's our aim.....yet finishing in front of the Arse would give us as fans a different satisfaction.

If the mincer says he wants fourth he's doing his team and the fans a disservice imo.

OK. Understood and agreed.