Manchester City

mrbojangles

Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed the City players who only returned to training this week will not feature in Sunday's Community Shield game against Arsenal.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference, the Chilean revealed Martin Demichelis, Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Bacary Sagna, Fernandinho and Sergio Aguero will not be fit enough for the clash with the Gunners - nor will new signing Frank Lampard.

Pellegrini also divulged there are no new injury concerns ahead of the trip to Wembley.

"All the players that have arrived on Monday will not be ready to play on Sunday," he disclosed. "These players have had a special pre-season for this week and it will continue into next week.

"Lampard is not ready to play. We will see if he is ready to play in the Premier League.

"For the moment, the squad has no injury problems – only Alvaro Negredo. He is recovering well but he has at least two or three months that he will not play.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team%20news/2014/August/City%20v%20Arsenal%20Community%20Shield%20press%20conference%20text

That'll be tough, in particular being without Vinny, Zabba and Aguero

I've got my fingers crossed that Aguero gets fit and in form. Seems forever now that he has not been at 100%. On the positive side Jovetic has had a very productive preseason and hoping that can carry over.

Also hoping that Lampard will get fit and help out with the strenuous schedule of games, and won't be just sitting around with a smile on his face and English passport at the ready.whistling.gif

I've got my fingers crossed that Aguero gets fit and in form. Seems forever now that he has not been at 100%. On the positive side Jovetic has had a very productive preseason and hoping that can carry over.

I think it's just match fitness Jelly. All the players who went to the WC and got in the quarters went on holiday and only returned to training on Monday. I don't think there are injuries apart from Negrado of course.

Landed back in Thailand. Me and the Mrs got 4 days alone in Patters without the daughter, so much beer will be swilled, bacon butties and pork, pork, pork. thumbsup.gif

Watch the City V Arsenal match and then head up to the boonies for 6 days.

Which area of the boonies - any where nice?

Hope none of you guys will be on the Esaan highway back to BKK/Pattaya on the 12th - i travelled back on the last national holiday from Mukdahan to BKK and it was the mother of all traffic jams, never again.

Chaiyaphum BB.

6 days up there and then back to the beach. The Mrs still hasn't realised that I have arranged going up there and back around the city matches biggrin.png

If your missus is from Chaiyaphum, she probably knows the score better than Pellegrini.

We ain't gonna be winning the CL this year, so I would personally prefer to just concentrate on the Prem and send out the young kids for the CL. That would really get up Platini's nose

You have one of the best squads in Europe!

You are the Premier league winners !

Why do you think you don't have a chance of winning the CL?

Surely after all the investment and progress made over the past few years, this year is the one you must be expected to go far or win it?

Sorry, not having a pop here... I just don't get the logic in that.

• Like 1

What do you reckon to Jack Rodwell's comments. Well off the mark in my opinion. Jack if you weren't so injury prone and if you were better than your midfield teammates you would have been a regular instead of a squad member only.

I'm sorry to see him go, liked him, think he's talented but needs regular games to get his confidence back, but being behind Yaya...Fernandinho. ..Fernando. ..garcia. ..milner. ..the best thing if you can't break through in 2 seasons is to move on. Good move for buyer...seller. ..and player.

• Like 1

We ain't gonna be winning the CL this year, so I would personally prefer to just concentrate on the Prem and send out the young kids for the CL. That would really get up Platini's nose

Surely after all the investment and progress made over the past few years, this year is the one you must be expected to go far or win it?

Don't get MrBJs comments on playing the youngsters but think tongue was in cheek.

We haven't looked good enough to win it the past seasons have we...still lacking and a little naive (can't attack every game boys, some time you've got to park the bus to get a result). Have we greatly improved the team this close season...time will tell but I think we've only improved the squad. So can we win the Champions League? I don't think so, not until we improve our tactics mindset in games, but we have to push on and try and get further in the competition.

Think what MrBJ was probably thinking, was, like most City fans, we'd still rather be Champions of England again this season.

A couple of things really Devil. Yes, we have a top strong squad but I'm not sure about one of the best in Europe. Our recent CL experience has shown us how far away from that we are. Coupled with the squad reduction Platini has put on us for the CL, I'm being realistic that we won't win it.

We have seen how much playing in all competitions can tire/injure the squad, so I'm just saying that I would prefer to concentrate on trying to win the Prem, than being all-so rans in both comps.

Don't get MrBJs comments on playing the youngsters but think tongue was in cheek.

We haven't looked good enough to win it the past seasons have we...still lacking and a little naive (can't attack every game boys, some time you've got to park the bus to get a result). Have we greatly improved the team this close season...time will tell but I think we've only improved the squad. So can we win the Champions League? I don't think so, not until we improve our tactics mindset in games, but we have to push on and try and get further in the competition.

Think what MrBJ was probably thinking, was, like most City fans, we'd still rather be Champions of England again this season.

Appreciate the honest thoughts on this..

However wasn't the reason that Mancini was sacked because you didn't go far in the CL given the millions invested...Here was a manager who just won the league for you and hence why Pellegrini was brought in to get you closer to getting the CL?

Nail on the head BB

Always has to be the priority doesn't it.

Hearing whispers that Real Madrid are going in for Falcao and its going to happen, and if so theres a few others that would be better off concentrating on silverware other than the CL.biggrin.png

What do you reckon to Jack Rodwell's comments. Well off the mark in my opinion. Jack if you weren't so injury prone and if you were better than your midfield teammates you would have been a regular instead of a squad member only.

I'm sorry to see him go, liked him, think he's talented but needs regular games to get his confidence back, but being behind Yaya...Fernandinho. ..Fernando. ..garcia. ..milner. ..the best thing if you can't break through in 2 seasons is to move on. Good move for buyer...seller. ..and player.

I agree BB. It was a "poor little me" comment by him. If he gets injured again at Sunderland and doesn't play, will that also be their fault. Anyway, wish him luck.

I agree BB. It was a "poor little me" comment by him. If he gets injured again at Sunderland and doesn't play, will that also be their fault. Anyway, wish him luck.

Surely he knew when he made the decision to join City it was always going to be about having to fight for a starting place?!!

Surely he knew when he made the decision to join City it was always going to be about having to fight for a starting place?!!

You'd think so wouldn't you Carms. But it seems in his head he was better than he was in reality and thought getting a first team place was his right.

Appreciate the honest thoughts on this..

However wasn't the reason that Mancini was sacked because you didn't go far in the CL given the millions invested...Here was a manager who just won the league for you and hence why Pellegrini was brought in to get you closer to getting the CL?

That and the fact that he lost the dressing room, had become a bit of a loose cannon, and had become somewhat of a rich man's Tim Sherwood.

Don't start making excuses, we're missing our Germans.

biggrin.png

Cue Carms talking about Ozal always being missing biggrin.png

Yes, he's been partying in Vegas with his world cup winner's medal (Ozil, not carmine).

Don't start making excuses, we're missing our Germans.

biggrin.png

Cue Carms talking about Ozal always being missing biggrin.png

Yes, he's been partying in Vegas with his world cup winner's medal (Ozil, not carmine).

How do you know that Carms isn't really Joachim Löw biggrin.png