Manchester City

mrbojangles

Do we all agree that Pellegrinis double substitution of Dzeko for Jovetic and Nasri for the excellent Jimmy Milner turned our superiority in manus favour? Dzeko contributed nothing again (not been the same since he got that contract extension) and he ended more as a useless left winger (than Milner had been a very effective winger), stopped Milner doubling up constantly with Clichy on utds weak right side and suddenly Valencia and Di Maria had an out. Also had the effect that Aguero was less effective.

Anyway, moving forward, when's the trip out of Manchester to Old Trafford?

As a follow up to my post on the United thread it is clear bar a dreadful display of refereeing by Oliver you would have been home and dry by the end of the first half. However, i was very surprised by how nervous City were, one nil up at home against ten men. Then the substitution by Pelligrini answered the question. That negativity of bringing on a defensive mid for a striker showed just how nervous he was and must have been a real psychological boost for United.

Poor management imho by an extremely good manager and just seemed inexplicable to me why, with the odds overwhelmingly stacked in your favor the nervousness in your team and management was so palpable. The other subs were up to much either.

The City of last season would have rammed home that victory without a second thought. However, three points in the bag nonetheless and a really good game to watch.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

ref had a shocker, how did city get to 61 minutes before their 1st booking is beyond me, as for the penalties, 1st one rojo I thought he got the Ball and was trying to play the Ball and not the player, 2nd one he was waiting for the slightest touch and went down to easy, 3rd a definite one.

I don't think I could argue with any of those points Carms. I think the nervousness probably came from recent poor form coupled with not being able to hit the net. Over the last few games it seems we have hit the woodwork, opposition getting in front of the ball in last ditch attempts to block and succeeding etc etc. You know what I mean, when you just feel it ain't ever going to go in. Yesterday was the same, not getting any of those stone wall penalties and De Gea doing some great blocks made it feel yesterday was gonna be the same. I for one was extremely relieved when Aguero scored but I was also nervous for the remainder of the match, particularly as you pointed out, the substitutions Pellegrini made.

• Like 2

As a follow up to my post on the United thread it is clear bar a dreadful display of refereeing by Oliver you would have been home and dry by the end of the first half. However, i was very surprised by how nervous City were, one nil up at home against ten men. Then the substitution by Pelligrini answered the question. That negativity of bringing on a defensive mid for a striker showed just how nervous he was and must have been a real psychological boost for United.

Poor management imho by an extremely good manager and just seemed inexplicable to me why, with the odds overwhelmingly stacked in your favor the nervousness in your team and management was so palpable. The other subs were up to much either.

The City of last season would have rammed home that victory without a second thought. However, three points in the bag nonetheless and a really good game to watch.

Good points. I hope to get to see a rerun to try to work at what point did utd come back at City. My reckoning was it was Milner went off and Dzeko came on. Pelle got it badly wrong.

And thanks for the heads up that theres a utd forum...must go over for a read.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

I don't think I could argue with any of those points Carms. I think the nervousness probably came from recent poor form coupled with not being able to hit the net. Over the last few games it seems we have hit the woodwork, opposition getting in front of the ball in last ditch attempts to block and succeeding etc etc. You know what I mean, when you just feel it ain't ever going to go in. Yesterday was the same, not getting any of those stone wall penalties and De Gea doing some great blocks made it feel yesterday was gonna be the same. I for one was extremely relieved when Aguero scored but I was also nervous for the remainder of the match, particularly as you pointed out, the substitutions Pellegrini made.

Very well put Mr BJ. We haven't been as bad in the Premier as the press would have everyone believe, we didn't deserve to lose against one chance one goal Stoke who we battered but it wouldn't go in, we didn't deserve to lose vs WHU even though for 60 minutes we were flat, and when we did get the pens and de gea was having a blinder, you just felt that little Utd would get the injury time equaliser/winner...probably from Carrick...to give the adoring press the result they so dearly wanted. So I think the longer it went on the more nervous we got. I also think as I've said above that we helped utd back in to it. I think if utd had levelled it then our domination over the whole game, our chances, the pens that weren't given etc would have been ignored by the press.

ref had a shocker, how did city get to 61 minutes before their 1st booking is beyond me, as for the penalties, 1st one rojo I thought he got the Ball and was trying to play the Ball and not the player, 2nd one he was waiting for the slightest touch and went down to easy, 3rd a definite one.

Nev you had me at "ref had a shocker".

• Like 1

On the positive side for manu, in the last 2 games youve looked half decent. You're fortunate you've got de gea as there's not much to get excited about in the defence...buy yourself a big trusty centreback like shawcross or lescott. Fellaini looks like persevering with. Carrick will help. And you're well sorted with forward thinking players. When comes good again expect rednose fergie to pipe up to take credit.

Im sure if I could be bothered to look back on here you were all saying City had the strongest squad. It would be fair to say that Chelsea's team/squad has been the best performing team/squad to date.

Don't get me wrong Bredbury....I hope their squad falls apart almost as much as you do. ;)

• Like 1

Interesting. ..

The XI put out by Manchester United was the most expensive starting line-up ever fielded in the Premier League. As Noel Gallagher said on TV before the game United have the hypocrisy to talk about Citys money when its raining tenners there.

And they harp on about their policy but there wasn't a single player from Manchester on either side.

Interesting. ..

The XI put out by Manchester United was the most expensive starting line-up ever fielded in the Premier League. As Noel Gallagher said on TV before the game United have the hypocrisy to talk about Citys money when its raining tenners there.

I get his point but it is money generated by the club, as you know we are in debt and the Glazers put zilch into united, where city's is money is from a rich Arab big difference I think, are we not allowed to spend our own money ?,also no mention of the big clean out at United to accommodate the players coming in.

A couple of interesting facts.

Man City have won the last four Manchester derbies in the Premier League - the first time we have won four in a row in the league since 1970

No Premier League team has had more players sent off than Manchester United in 2014 (5) Dirty, dirty barstewards laugh.png

Interesting. ..

I get his point but it is money generated by the club, as you know we are in debt and the Glazers put zilch into united, where city's is money is from a rich Arab big difference I think, are we not allowed to spend our own money ?,also no mention of the big clean out at United to accommodate the players coming in.

No problem with that, but equally if our rich sheik wants to spend more money he should be allowed to. Nuff said (as Trink would say).

Man City have won the last four Manchester derbies in the Premier League - the first time we have won four in a row in the league since 1970

No Premier League team has had more players sent off than Manchester United in 2014 (5) Dirty, dirty barstewards laugh.png

From mcfc.co.uk match report:

Plenty of time to check the record books for the last time City won five in a row before the teams reconvene across town in April...Manchester remains blue.

Like it.

From mcfc.co.uk match report:

Plenty of time to check the record books for the last time City won five in a row before the teams reconvene across town in April...Manchester remains blue.

Like it.

Lets not count our chickens BB but Five in a row, does sound even better

If this is working wonders for Aguero it is fantastic news. "It has been some time since I trained that intensely...". I've figured for a long time that Aguero wasn't doing enough stretching etc. and paying the price. Hopefully he has bought into this new training regime.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/03/sergio-aguero-manchester-city-training-regime

Just watched a rerun of the game. Utd had their first shot on target in the 70th minute (the dutchmans sole contribution...nice bit of skill on the deadball line). About then City made their double sub. Utd seemed to come alive in the 76th minute with Rooneys run and nutmegs on vinny. Utd then had a good 10 mins spell. Pelle reacted after 6 minutes with Dinhos introduction for kun to give some legs to the midfield (poor Nando was doing 2 mens work defensively). City then weathered the 10 minutes spell and finished on top again with yaya having 2 great chances (that wonderful flick turn and shot, and his header over the bar).

City's mom for me was Hart (little to do but great saves when needed)...then Aguero (utd couldn't handle him) and Clichy (battling performance in both directions). Utds mom for me was Fellaini then Rooney.

Can anyone tell me how city's EDS went on against Leicester in the u21's ? and how are the new messi Ronaldo's coming along ?.

Can anyone tell me how utd's EDS went on against Leicrsterin the u21's etc this week? Maybe Nev can tell us.

Yes we lost 3-2 could have gone either way.