Manchester City

mrbojangles

quote name="Bredbury Blue" post="9113913" timestamp="1424796759"]

1v0 HT. Jack Bryne (goalkeepers error). Looking more settled since the goal. Think I've seen the kids 3 times in this competition on tv and I've enjoyed it every time.

So I went to bed halftime to get a couple of hours before the game (that plan didn't work out). Game finished 1v1, they scored last minute but "City under-19s marched into the quarter-finals of the UEFA Youth League with a hard-fought penalty shoot-out win over Schalke at the Academy Stadium."

Anyone else hate that Champions League music?

Here's the teams:

Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Fernando, Milner, Nasri, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero.

Subs: Caballero, Sagna, Mangala, Fernandinho, Lampard, Navas, Bony.

Barcelona: Ter Stegen, Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Suarez, Messi, Neymar.

Subs: Bravo, Xavi, Pedro, Rafinha, Sergi Roberto, Adriano, Mathieu.

Saw the Demi (trusted) and Clichy coming, but didn't see the Milner in for Dinho (thought he'd go 451 with no Dzeko...the Fernando twins central and Milner playing wide on whichever side we needed reinforcing the most). Say what you want about Pelle but he certainly goes for it. Also read earlier somewhere that he might go for Dzeko as no height in Barca.

Saw the Demi (trusted) and Clichy coming, but didn't see the Milner in for Dinho (thought he'd go 451 with no Dzeko...the Fernando twins central and Milner playing wide on whichever side we needed reinforcing the most). Say what you want about Pelle but he certainly goes for it. Also read earlier somewhere that he might go for Dzeko as no height in Barca.

Pique is no shrimpie dude though.

Crazy playing Demichelis over Mangala. Mangala has been improving and has plenty CL experience. Maybe he hasnt quite adjusted to the speed of Premier League, but he should be playing over Demichelis in CL.

No idea why we dont have 5 in midfield? Same mistakes tactics wise as last year.. I prefer Dinho to Nndo, but personally I would have played them both and left Milner on the bench. The biggest surprise for me is not playing Bony. He is better than Dzeko in every aspect, especially good in the air. He is a bully and I think Barcas backline CAN be bullied.

Having said all that Barca are an exceptional side, though we are making it easy for them

• Like 1

Crazy playing Demichelis over Mangala. Mangala has been improving and has plenty CL experience. Maybe he hasnt quite adjusted to the speed of Premier League, but he should be playing over Demichelis in CL.

No idea why we dont have 5 in midfield? Same mistakes tactics wise as last year.. I prefer Dinho to Nndo, but personally I would have played them both and left Milner on the bench. The biggest surprise for me is not playing Bony. He is better than Dzeko in every aspect, especially good in the air. He is a bully and I think Barcas backline CAN be bullied.

Having said all that Barca are an exceptional side, though we are making it easy for them

Add in, that even though we all love him, Kompany seems half the player he was not that long ago. He looks slow, heavy and without confidence. I wish somebody would tell me that he is trying to play injured, because then it would be understandable

A brave manager comes out a different 11 butmI'm guessing Pelle will send the same 11 out. Id be looking to get Dinho on in the middle, Nasri off and Milner out wide. Start pressing harder. Use the width. We need to compete more, they're just passing round us like dummies.

No changes...know Pelle too well.

Add in, that even though we all love him, Kompany seems half the player he was not that long ago. He looks slow, heavy and without confidence. I wish somebody would tell me that he is trying to play injured, because then it would be understandable

To me he is playing with a fear of getting injured. He seems to be making decisions that he would never normally make. Its as though, in his mind, he expects his calf or hammy to go again at any time.

And thats why Bony should be playing!!!!!! Should be 1-2

• Like 1

To me he is playing with a fear of getting injured. He seems to be making decisions that he would never normally make. Its as though, in his mind, he expects his calf or hammy to go again at any time.

And thats why Bony should be playing!!!!!! Should be 1-2

Could be Jack. Something is amiss. Couldn't agree more about the decision making.

Well we got out of jail there to a certain extent. Better 2nd half. Were better with Dinho on for Nasri. Didn't think Bony offered more than Dzeko. Great finish by Aguero. Foolish by Clichy but he was obviously thinking he'd nicked it minutes earlier for the goal. Be nice to finish a game against Barcelona with 11 players. Really enjoyed watching Barca, and imagine being lucky enough to watch Messi every week. Hart kept us in it. Enjoyed that...clearly though footballing wise we're a division below Barca.

Just watching the rerun (30 minutes in) and I'm just marvelling at the ability of EVERY Barca player's ability on the ball...they make us look like a Championship team.

The performance of Bayern 2 years back at the Etihad is probably the benchmark performance but maybe Barcas performance last night was better?

Reading Pellegrinis after match comments justifying his 442 is very worrying for the return leg. Surely the way to go is 451, keep it tight and compete, sneak a goal and if you worry Barca THEN bring on a 2nd striker. But bet we set up 442.

The mistake they made, I believe, was playing in a 442 formation and then sitting back and trying to outplay Barcelona.. Impossible. 451 is the only chance against Barca.... stifle the midfield.

If you are going to play 442, then you have to attack with width and have a real go. Not sit back and try to outpass them. Beginning the second half was much better, attacking Barca ( and they ARE vulnerable). Their keeper definitely looked dodgy.

I dont agree with the Bony/Dzeko analogy. Within 2 minutes of Bony coming on, City scored. Lots more movement with Bony. Unfortunately 4 minutes later we were down to 10 men, so we lost our shape and were chasing shadows. We didnt see the true worth of Bony last night.

• Like 1

Reading Pellegrinis after match comments justifying his 442 is very worrying for the return leg. Surely the way to go is 451, keep it tight and compete, sneak a goal and if you worry Barca THEN bring on a 2nd striker. But bet we set up 442.

The mistake they made, I believe, was playing in a 442 formation and then sitting back and trying to outplay Barcelona.. Impossible. 451 is the only chance against Barca.... stifle the midfield.

If you are going to play 442, then you have to attack with width and have a real go. Not sit back and try to outpass them. Beginning the second half was much better, attacking Barca ( and they ARE vulnerable). Their keeper definitely looked dodgy.

I dont agree with the Bony/Dzeko analogy. Within 2 minutes of Bony coming on, City scored. Lots more movement with Bony. Unfortunately 4 minutes later we were down to 10 men, so we lost our shape and were chasing shadows. We didnt see the true worth of Bony last night.

1st half we couldn't string any passes together and anytime we found width it seemed to be Dzeko out wide. Don't believe Barca defend any better than teams in the Premier so failing to pass around them was our failing not their defending. 2nd half we improved our link up play. Would have been interesting to have set up in a 451 with Navas on and played more on the break.

Not sure I agree with your comment on Bony/Dzeko, as you say Bony was on 2 minutes and we scored through Dinho, Silva and Aguero (but not Bony) combining, and after the goal don't remember Bony contributing anything significant even considering we went down to 10 men.

Not enough defensive pressure on the ball in the first period. A bit more in the second. City actually marked closely a few times in the second period (slight sarcasm). I'm not always a fan of laying a body on 'em at every opportunity (a la Simeone) but it is called for at times. It doesn't always work against Barca (see Barca's last match against Atletico Madrid), but I think its better than inviting them to attack when you don't have the quickest or paciest defenders and you are at their mercy.

In general I like Pellegrini but his forte is attacking football. I don't think he he is a defensive wizard and clearly there is not enough emphasis put on scoring from set pieces (another thing he could learn from Simeone). Maybe having physical Bony in the scrums will help.