Manchester City

mrbojangles

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

T'was a tad tongue in cheek Carms. :tongue:

However, even with the above slightly possible credit you have given to Pep, I think you still under estimate how good he is. We'll never see how good he is without a budget as he'll always have one, with the exception of when he was Barca B coach and incidentally that was his coaching mentality that launched his coaching career. We may however, get to see what Dyche can do with a budget. There is no denying what he is doing at Burnley is fantastic.

The question you pose about him moulding together and whether he could do what Dyche has done is difficult to answer because it depends on the type of squad he has to work with. I.E. I doubt Pep could work with a Stoke style of squad but give him a core of fit (ish) players who have the potential to pass instead of hoof and I reckon he could do. Every single player who has worked under Pep has credited him with improving them as players. And we City fans have witnessed what Pep has done to improve players who he inherited. Believe me, I call our managers when they deserve it and wasn't convinced of Pep before he came. He had to convince me how good he is and trust me, he's the real deal.

I rate him extremely highly due to the style of football his teams produce.  Thats more significant to me.  My point is very much linked to your very rationale response because i don't think he could work with a Stoke/Burnley squad and i doubt that Dyche could get the City squad anywhere near the level they are currently playing.  Pep, with a core fit is as good as there is, but he has i believe the same limitations as most others.  

Anyway, i'm rather nervous about saturday because i very much doubt Pochettino has it in his mindset to park up and if we go balls out you might well give us a hiding.   City with their current lead are playing like a side devoid of pressure and the win mentality is evident.  There is no point in parking up against City because it doesn't work as was evident last weekend.  Problem is, if you open up you offer space to De Bruyne and Silva amongst others who will eventually open you up.  I'm not holding up the white flag yet but......i'll take the point!!

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Anyway, i'm rather nervous about saturday because i very much doubt Pochettino has it in his mindset to park up and if we go balls out you might well give us a hiding.   City with their current lead are playing like a side devoid of pressure and the win mentality is evident.  There is no point in parking up against City because it doesn't work as was evident last weekend.  Problem is, if you open up you offer space to De Bruyne and Silva amongst others who will eventually open you up.  I'm not holding up the white flag yet but......i'll take the point!!

You have a great attacking team and as you say Poch won't come to park the bus. Like with Pep, It's not in their make up and as you say, it's not the right tactic.

As good as we've been playing, I'm still nervous about playing Spurs. I'd probably take a point as well but I can't see this being a draw. One team will out score the other.

13 hours ago, jellydog said:

Spanish Dave seems to be very much enjoying this season. Quite a tight knit group of players for City. They are a lot of fun to watch. :thumbsup:

I absolutely love watching them play at the moment but I also love how they play for each other. Not a single one of them is greedy with the ball and would sooner pass it to a player in a better position to get a goal. The downsideis that we far too often try and walk the ball in the net instead of having a shot 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I absolutely love watching them play at the moment but I also love how they play for each other. Not a single one of them is greedy with the ball and would sooner pass it to a player in a better position to get a goal. The downsideis that we far too often try and walk the ball in the net instead of having a shot 

Sounds like something that could have been said about Arsenal about 6/7 years ago.

Now BB is always coming on here telling us City's academy results and how great they are, strange that he hasn't been on today to tell us how the under18's got on in the Youth cup against Plymouth last night ! perhaps it's because they got dumped out and he was hoping to keep it a secret :passifier: mind you Plymouth are one of the best and most expensive teams in the competition :cheesy: 

DRCrFDyXkAEFmGM.jpg

Edited by alfieconn

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Wish we'd have seen Everton off to have added to this"

If Walker hadn't been sent of contentiously in the first half maybe we would have. My recollection is that even with 10 we outplayed Everton but couldn't get the winner that day.

If my auntie had <deleted> she'd be my uncle....

Try not to forget the late late winners too.  And maybe some key decisions have also gone your way.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Now BB is always coming on here telling us City's academy results and how great they are, strange that he hasn't been on today to tell us how the under18's got on in the Youth cup against Plymouth last night ! perhaps it's because they got dumped out and he was hoping to keep it a secret :passifier: mind you Plymouth are one of the best and most expensive teams in the competition :cheesy: 

DRCrFDyXkAEFmGM.jpg

Sheik making a note to himself today, must spend more on Academy player's :biggrin:

^My point is was your point worth making as we all know you have good and some bad luck in football.

My initial point was that people talk about Everton taking a point but forget that we had Walker sent off for bugger all in the 43rd minute and with 10 men outplayed Everton but just couldn't get the winning goal.

On 14/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, jellydog said:

Spanish Dave seems to be very much enjoying this season. Quite a tight knit group of players for City. They are a lot of fun to watch. :thumbsup:

Sterling has made his mark this season too, fair play to him. 

• Like 2

A good long read of what our owner is trying to achieve longterm at the Etihad and worldwide. God bless him!

Manchester City’s plan for global domination

Football has already been transformed by big money – but the businessmen behind Man City are trying to build a global corporation that will change the game for ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

Edited by mrbojangles
To fix link

31 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

A good long read of what our owner is trying to achieve longterm at the Etihad and worldwide. God bless him!

Manchester City’s plan for global domination

Football has already been transformed by big money – but the businessmen behind Man City are trying to build a global corporation that will change the game for ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

God bless him for using his oil billions to create an unfair balance, two tier system of big money domination?  Football was much better off without the arabs and oligarch's buying their weekend playthings.  God bless them indeed.

16 minutes ago, carmine said:

God bless him for using his oil billions to create an unfair balance, two tier system of big money domination?  Football was much better off without the arabs and oligarch's buying their weekend playthings.  God bless them indeed.

The above makes me think you didn't actually read it Carms

Thanks BB, I enjoyed that. Very interesting

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Whenever I read your posts Carmine this image pops in to my mind. 

were-all-doomed.jpeg

Tell that the the football loving family man that can no longer afford to take his kids to matches because the prices of everything is being driven through the wall.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Tell that the the football loving family man that can no longer afford to take his kids to matches because the prices of everything is being driven through the wall.

And yet crowds are increasing!! You are expanding, we have expanded, United have and are expanding, Arsenal have expanded etc etc. Not being able to afford to go is a myth Carms

Purely from a selfish point of view, as I've not lived in the UK for 10 years, because of what the prem has done and the investment from Johnny foreigners (not just Arab and Russians may I add) I get to see every premier league match. It's the most televised league and we get to watch it all. Better than being a Ross County fan living in Thailand

"Tell that the the football loving family man that can no longer afford to take his kids to matches because the prices of everything is being driven through the wall."

And how exactly Carmine does your comment relate to the article or City? Please explain.

Prices today are no more a result of City than Spurs. City have long had the cheapest or one one of the cheapest season tickets in the Premier; we often have promotions for kids to attend at very low cost (which my brother uses to take my nephew and niece).

Football is expensive as I know from shelling out for the wife, kids and me to make our pilgrimages but please don't try blaming City or Sheik Mansour with that!

1 hour ago, carmine said:

BTW.Making the Premier League so popular and all that investment has actually made it cheaper for fans to watch :-

More than 80% of ticket prices in the Premier League have been either reduced or frozen for the 2017-18 season, the BBC's Price of Football study has found.

Average season ticket prices across English football's top flight are at their lowest levels since 2013, having fallen for the second consecutive year following a record £8.3bn global TV rights deal signed last season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41485422

2 hours ago, carmine said:

How about Spurs cutting their admission prices in half when the new stadium becomes operational!?

When I was watching virtually every game at WHL in the 1960s it didn't cost an arm and leg to get through the turn styles.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

And yet crowds are increasing!! You are expanding, we have expanded, United have and are expanding, Arsenal have expanded etc etc.

Not sure about that Mr bj. Revenue has increaced big time but Top Flight crowds - on average - are smaller than the 1960s.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not sure about that Mr bj. Revenue has increaced big time but Top Flight crowds - on average - are smaller than the 1960s.

You can't go back 60 year OSA. Carms was blaming oiligarks and arabs for making it too expensive, they weren't around then. Also, standing was allowed then. All stadiums reduced capacity after the all seating came into force