Manchester City

mrbojangles

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Promoted Girona beat Getafe to move in to 6th place, Spain’s final Europa League spot, with midfielderAleix García – in only his fourth La Liga start of the season – and regular right-back Pablo Maffeo both playing the full 90 minutes.

I'm really liking this plan with our youngsters. Instead of them playing academy football in front of 20 fans they are getting top level experience and feeling some pressure playing in front of big crowds

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

A few things I picked up as I trawled t'internet:

"Ederson completed more passes (26) than both Christian Eriksen (24) and Dele Alli (17) during Man City 4-1 Spurs today."...can that be correct, midfield players with less than 30 passes?

"Mauricio Pochettino has been at Spurs for more than three-and-a-half years. In that time, the Argentine has spent just six days at the summit of the Premier League"..I feel that spurs were at their peak these past 2 seasons and now we're witnessing a falling away.

"City are the first team since Wolves in 1953-54 to beat Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham in the league before Christmas"

"City's next three Premier League games: Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Crystal Palace (a)."

Best for last:
"Disappointing from Spurs, but they remain a really exciting mid-table prospect."

But we can't spend all the money you do can we!  And you do also have the best "cheque book manager" in the world.

Take the piss all you want BB because we all know how it great still gets under your skin that you'll never get the credit you think your team deserves.  And it will always get under your skin.  You don't fool anyone, with the possible exception of E/S but then again.....

Carry on fella,  cos its only because of the money!!!!  

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

Carry on fella,  cos its only because of the money!!!!  

And it has always been so for every club. City are no different to all those who have succeeded before us (Leicester excepted). I really don't understand the issue you have with City.

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

And it has always been so for every club. City are no different to all those who have succeeded before us (Leicester excepted). I really don't understand the issue you have with City.

My issue is that certain individuals will not accept that it gives an unfair advantage over others less well off shall we say.  I have no trouble conceding you beat us deservedly, i have no problem saying you are the best in the league now by a distance, Pep is probably the best cheque book manager in the world but certain individuals need a reality check.  Simple as that really.

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

They also own 9 feeder clubs around the world, so might have to get used to it, or plan for the same to challenge them. 

That is spot on Bob. City under Swales where always mis-managed financially and marketing wise. TBH he didn't have enough dosh anyway but he had no idea how to increase our revenue. At one point Blackburn owned our catering contract and we let a corner shop have the rights to sell our merchandise. Because of those decisions we lived in the shadows of those who had more money than us.

This has obviously turned around now and we City fans feel absolutely no guilt at having funds available

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

That is spot on Bob. City under Swales where always mis-managed financially and marketing wise. TBH he didn't have enough dosh anyway but he had no idea how to increase our revenue. At one point Blackburn owned our catering contract and we let a corner shop have the rights to sell our merchandise. Because of those decisions we lived in the shadows of those who had more money than us.

This has obviously turned around now and we City fans feel absolutely no guilt at having funds available

No ones saying you should feel guilt!!  Just accept you have an unfair advantage.  Simple as that.

Oh and i do like the "having funds available" bit!

You were doing so well in giving a slight bit of credit and then you throw that in.

Because its totally and utterly correct!!!!!!! 

Don't suggest for one moment its not the case.  It clearly is, its exactly what he is.  Check book manager and he just happens to be the best.  

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

No ones saying you should feel guilt!!  Just accept you have an unfair advantage.  Simple as that.

And Spurs have an advantage as well but I don't hear you complaining about that. You are about the 12th richest club in the world. Do the rest of the 4 divisions in the English leagues complain that you are richer than they are?.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, City and United are all in the top 10 and you are 12th. Your owner needs to get his cheque book out

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

Because its totally and utterly correct!!!!!!! 

Don't suggest for one moment its not the case.  It clearly is, its exactly what he is.  Check book manager and he just happens to be the best.  

Unbelievable that you point that finger at Pep. Every manager has a cheque book and it's what you do with it that counts and how you improve your players once you have them. Your making it sound like he is merely buying the players and that's it, instead of crediting him with coaching them and playing in a way they have never played before. 

In the last game (against City) Spurs never turned up. A shadow of the endevour, effort and will-to-win that was evident against Real Madrid (for instance).

Results depend upon the teams on the day. And teams should prepare on the training pitch. It strikes me that Spurs did not put in the effort on the training pitch. Difficult, I know, when the games are coming thick and fast but they, and all the others, had better get their acts together for the Xmas period which will be very intensive and busy (4 games in 11/12 days).

Just why were Spurs overwhelmed so easily? Nothing to do with money for me.

Edited by owl sees all

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

In the last game (against City) Spurs never turned up. A shadow of the endevour, effort and will-to-win that was evident against Real Madrid (for instance).

Results depend upon the teams on the day. And teams should prepare on the training pitch. It strikes me that Spurs did not put in the effort on the training pitch. Difficult, I know, when the games are coming thick and fast but they, and all the others, had better get their acts together for the Xmas which will be very intensive and busy (4 games in 11/12 days).

Just why were Spurs overwhelmed so easily? Nothing to do with money for me.

Look at the difference coming off the bench for a start.

6 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Look at the difference coming off the bench for a start.

So Real Madrid were a poor side! Not at all. The difference between Spurs in that game and against City; well!!! It could have been two different clubs.

Why did Spurs not turn up at the w/e. Scared of City even before the kick-off?! Damage limitation in the dressing roome before the game?!

Edited by owl sees all

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

So Real Madrid were a poor side! Not at all. The difference between Spurs in that game and against City; well!!! It could have been two different clubs.

Why did Spurs not turn up at the w/e. Scared of City even before the kick-off?! Damage limitation in the dressing roome before the game?!

City were much better than Madrid.

When you are up against De Bruyne and Sane playing at their best you have to be there too and the sloppiness shown by our side just won't cut it.

Far too many missed passes and our midfield was largely over run.

Dembele simply is past it at that level now and Winks isn't ready to turn it in every week at the highest level.

Its not a disaster for us losing that game but to stay in the top four hunt we need a good Xmas set of results now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Are they good enough and with enough tactical nous to win the CL?

I think we are almost there as far as quality and with Pep's nous. However, over 2 legs in a knockout you need an element of luck. You obviously need to play well but a couple of unlucky decisions and you could be out

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Against Spurs, Guardiola gave Phil Foden his PREMIER debut, the 17-year-old forward coming on as an 83rd-minute replacement for Gündogan. Foden, who has been at City since he was 10.

And he has just won the Young Sports Personality of the Year:-

Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden capped a brilliant year by winning the BBC Young Sports Personality award.

He helped England win the Under-17 World Cup and took the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

Foden, 17, also made his senior debut for Manchester City and became the youngest Englishman to start a Champions League match.

He was on a final shortlist of three for the BBC award, with gymnast Ellie Downie and Para-skier Millie Knight.

"It meant everything," Foden said about being named the Under-17 World Cup's best player. "But I would like to thank my team-mates, without them it wouldn't have been possible."

Full story:- http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/42336966

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Ronnie, I'm looking forward to seeing what all of our FIVE teams can do in Europe this season. Are they good enough and with enough tactical nous to win the CL?

There will be some cracking ties next year.

I just hope the English sides avoid each other as much as possible...oh and Utd and the chavs exit early.

And he has just won the Young Sports Personality of the Year:-

Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden capped a brilliant year by winning the BBC Young Sports Personality award.

He helped England win the Under-17 World Cup and took the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

Foden, 17, also made his senior debut for Manchester City and became the youngest Englishman to start a Champions League match.

He was on a final shortlist of three for the BBC award, with gymnast Ellie Downie and Para-skier Millie Knight.

"It meant everything," Foden said about being named the Under-17 World Cup's best player. "But I would like to thank my team-mates, without them it wouldn't have been possible."

Full story:- http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/42336966

Roy of the Rovers stuff!

Bob you have a good point. Up until Mane's sending off, Otamendi couldn't cope with Salah and Mendy wasn't helping him out and Liverpool were on top (can't remember but think it was 1v0 at that time). Mane was sent off and Liverpool fell apart.

I'm not convinced by Mendy's defending and while Delph clearly isn't a LB he's tightened up our leftside and helps out Otamendi or Mangala far better and while Delph isn't comfortable on the overlap he's helped us more by his comfort and stepping in to the middle.

• Like 1