Manchester City

mrbojangles

I'd have taken 0-2 all day long before the game. So very happy with that.

Deffo looked a bit ring rusty and as mentioned, some sloppy passing. In the main, it was Mendy at fault for being the most sloppy. That lad is big, fast and powerful but I just don't know if he'll fit in with our style of play. His feet aren't quick enough to do the quick passing. Hope I'm wrong but I do like seeing Sane zip down that wing. Arsenal should have also had a penalty when Mendy dragged one of their players down in the box.

Thought our bench warmer (as labelled by the Spurs boys) had a pretty good Prem debut for us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Deffo looked a bit ring rusty and as mentioned, some sloppy passing. In the main, it was Mendy at fault for being the most sloppy. That lad is big, fast and powerful but I just don't know if he'll fit in with our style of play. His feet aren't quick enough to do the quick passing. Hope I'm wrong but I do like seeing Sane zip down that wing. Arsenal should have also had a penalty when Mendy dragged one of their players down in the box.

Thought our bench warmer (as labelled by the Spurs boys) had a pretty good Prem debut for us

Well lets face it, your bench warmer was playing to give one of the world cup lads a day off....or have i missed something?

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

My thoughts exactly MrB. I was amazed that Mendy was used at times in the middle of the pitch. He is so poor at protecting the ball unless he has the sideline to help him. He is easily nicked of the ball. He's also suspect at times defensively. Hopefully he will improve, but I'd take Delph over Mendy any day.

Early days of course and some rust to be expected, but I'm looking forward to seeing Spanish Dave and KDB again from the get go.

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

What have i missed then?

I think Mendy was on to get some much needed work (he needs it !).  The usual leftbacks, Delph, Danilo, and even Laporte didn't exercise much during the WC Carms.

5 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I think Mendy was on to get some much needed work (he needs it !).  The usual leftbacks, Delph, Danilo, and even Laporte didn't exercise much during the WC Carms.

We were referring to Mahrez.  

7 minutes ago, carmine said:

What have i missed then?

For starters. Don't you think it a tad strange that Pep wanted him over 2 transfer windows and he is our only major signing. Do you really think Pep would have only signed him to warm up the bench? Of course he won't play every single game, not many City players do, it's called being a squad.

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

We were referring to Mahrez.  

Ah, I missed that. Having a go at Mahrez then ? Well, early days for him as well, and I expect he'll play two out of every three games at the very most. Hang the money. The money is everywhere.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

For starters. Don't you think it a tad strange that Pep wanted him over 2 transfer windows and he is our only major signing. Do you really think Pep would have only signed him to warm up the bench? Of course he won't play every single game, not many City players do, it's called being a squad.

My point is he's not going to be a starter at the expense of your regular midfield is he.  So, in effect, he plays pff the bench.  Its not a criticism, just a fact.

The main reason i don't consider Spurs to be even a rival to you is that you can bring on an ex player of the year at a cost of 60m and we had to bring on ac21yo from the academy.  Ofcourse were not a rival.

1 minute ago, jellydog said:

Ah, I missed that. Having a go at Mahrez then ? Well, early days for him as well, and I expect he'll play two out of every three games at the very most. Hang the money. The money is everywhere.

I'm not having a go at him, he's a brilliant player.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

My point is he's not going to be a starter at the expense of your regular midfield is he.  So, in effect, he plays pff the bench.  Its not a criticism, just a fact.

I think there'll be a lot of rotation this year. There were several games last year in which we scored late to win games, particularly against 10 men defence teams. I think Mahrez has the ability to help unlock those defences early on

1 minute ago, carmine said:

I'm not having a go at him, he's a brilliant player.

Its money banter again. I get it. I avoid those "discussions". They lead absolutely nowhere.

And Carms, much of these complaints that Spurs fans have about the gulf in money would be solved if Joe Lewis would quit sitting on his billionaire wallet. The big money in football is not going away. If you want to compete at the very top you are going to have to spend. Pochettino has done a remarkable job, but he is always going to be just a little short because management don't ante up.

I'll take all of that back if the money shows up after the stadium costs are swallowed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think there'll be a lot of rotation this year. There were several games last year in which we scored late to win games, particularly against 10 men defence teams. I think Mahrez has the ability to help unlock those defences early on

If anything, playing with the likes of Silva and De Bruyne, we may yet to have seen the best of him.

What an easy first game!

I agree with you that City got sloppy in the second half but it was so, so easy.

2018/2019 finishing positions:

01 City

02 Pool

03 Chelski

04 Super Spurs

05 Toffees

06 Man U

07 Palace

08 Gunners

09 Leicester

10 Watford

11 Burnley

12 WHU

13 Wolves

14 Fulham

15 Cherries

16 Newcastle

17 Saints

18 Seagulls

19 Cardiff

20 Huddersfield

Not worked out the points yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What an easy first game!

I agree with you that City got sloppy in the second half but it was so, so easy.

2018/2019 finishing positions:

01 City

02 Pool

03 Chelski

04 Super Spurs

05 Toffees

06 Man U

07 Palace

08 Gunners

09 Leicester

10 Watford

11 Burnley

12 WHU

13 Wolves

14 Fulham

15 Cherries

16 Newcastle

17 Saints

18 Seagulls

19 Cardiff

20 Huddersfield

Not worked out the points yet.

Although Chelsea are Russian owned and typical Russian words end with "ov" .

Polish words typically end with "ski"

You need to call Chelsea , Chelsov , not Chelski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Although Chelsea are Russian owned

Wouldn't that now be Isreali-Russian owned ?

Also, the owners surname is vich so it could be Chelskivich 

Although the most common is ending in Russia is ov, there are many, many famous Russian's with the ending sky. It's like saying your nick name for your team if English owned has to end in (sm)ith

Although the most common is ending in Russia is ov, there are many, many famous Russian's with the ending sky. It's like saying your nick name for your team if English owned has to end in (sm)ith

Not really , the typical ending of English words is "ing" , Italians use "i" and Spanish use "o" ,Russian use "ov" and Poland uses "ski

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not really , the typical ending of English words is "ing" , Italians use "i" and Spanish use "o" ,Russian use "ov" and Poland uses "ski

According to wiki, Smith is the most popular surname. But the most popular ending is "ton" often with "ington"

The point is, it doesn't have to end in anything in particular for it to be an accepted nickname. We all know to what it refers

According to wiki, Smith is the most popular surname. But the most popular ending is "ton" often with "ington"

The point is, it doesn't have to end in anything in particular for it to be an accepted nickname. We all know to what it refers

Although I was talking about words in general, rather than surnames .

Although some misinformed people did indeed call Chelsea , Chelski , 15 years ago , the nickname didnt seem to stick , especially once people realised that "ski" was a typical Polish word ending

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although some misinformed people did indeed call Chelsea , Chelski , 15 years ago , the nickname didnt seem to stick , especially once people realised that "ski" was a typical Polish word ending

I thought you were simply known as the Chelsea Rent Boys!!  ?

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You're stuck with chelski and have been since early in Roman's era; no point railing against it.

2 hours ago, jellydog said:

Daniel Taylor of The Guardian figures Mendy was "among the game's outstanding performers". Funny how differently some see the same game.

I think Mendy made things happen up top which Taylor is referring to, he was though guilty as charged in midfield.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think Mendy made things happen up top which Taylor is referring to, he was though guilty as charged in midfield.

Yep. And as we know, Pep's style is all about possession and passing accuracy so he won't put up with that sloppiness in midfield for long

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Yep. And as we know, Pep's style is all about possession and passing accuracy so he won't put up with that sloppiness in midfield for long

Hope he gets a few weeks at least...he's a diamond Fantasy Footiewise:thumbsup: