Stop & Go tire repair kit

Polanskiman

Glad you had a safe trip.

I used to have a 400 baht Tesco car compressor when offroading and although it never broke down it was bound too.

I ended up putting this half size floor pump in my Givi E55 permanently.

It seems to top off my tires faster than using a compressor and is failproof.

http://www.birzman.com/products.php?src=prod&prod_sn=154

This might be a good alternative too.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrhvg.php#.VFPOGfmUd8E

I put a can of 600 baht slime like stuff in an innertube that got a nail hole.

It never sealed the tire so I don't trust liquid plugs.

I haven't yet done any proper off-roading on a bike, but have a done a lot on 4 wheels and the golden rule is to "travel light". Now on just two wheels I would have thought that rule was even more important, plus you have the issue of bulk to deal with too.

Carrying a compressor would seem a bit of an extravagance, when there are other more important tools and other gear needed, especially if a simple piece of tube will do the job. However, this tube only works if tyres are kept fully inflated and on 4 wheels lowering tyre pressures can greatly assist the vehicle's traction, is this also the case with bikes?

I ask this question because I am about to embark on this activity and I know that trials bikes run very low tyre pressures, but wondered what the consensus was with general off-roading....low speed touring.

I ask this question because I am about to embark on this activity and I know that trials bikes run very low tyre pressures, but wondered what the consensus was with general off-roading....low speed touring.

Be aware that it is the air in the tire which supports the weight.

Lowering pressure on off-road bikes is generally used when operating in soft surfaces like sand.

For hard surfaces like gravel and asphalt, just run normal pressure.

And increase tire pressure - especially the rear - when riding 2-up.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

I adjusted my pressures to accommodate riding off road and on the tarmac.

I wanted to preserve my knobbies on road with higher pressure but have as much low pressure traction off road.

That's why I carried the compressor and other tools.

Honestly my other KLX250 friends never bothered to adjust their pressure.

They just rode on their knobbies on road and off and they didn't seem to have many problems but I am sure their tires wore out faster on road at lower pressures.

Running street pressures off road seems OK too so I wouldn't bother lowering pressure off road unless you crash as a result of lost traction.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1

Glad you had a safe trip.

I used to have a 400 baht Tesco car compressor when offroading and although it never broke down it was bound too.

I ended up putting this half size floor pump in my Givi E55 permanently.

It seems to top off my tires faster than using a compressor and is failproof.

http://www.birzman.com/products.php?src=prod&prod_sn=154

This might be a good alternative too.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrhvg.php#.VFPOGfmUd8E

I put a can of 600 baht slime like stuff in an innertube that got a nail hole.

It never sealed the tire so I don't trust liquid plugs.

The Slime that I'm aware of is not designed for inner tube fitted tires. You will need a vulcanising or glue & patch kit for inner tube fitted tires :) Edited by Garry

Electric pumps, foot pumps? Hell, weight is an issue off road anyway. I'll say it again - small bicycle pump, only @ 6" long by 1" diameter and weighs just a few ounces. mM2mCnrZSmwHCkGaNxYoHYA.jpg
Re tyre pressures, on my CRF I found the handbook pressure, @18 psi, was good for offroad but for tarmac increasing by 6 psi worked well.
As for repairs on tubed tyres, I carried spare tubes ( now they were heavy) but have my doubts I would have been able to change a tyre in the boonies alone. Perhaps some 'gloop' would be worth a thought for emergencies?
cleardot.gif
Edited by Gnasher328

Electric pumps, foot pumps? Hell, weight is an issue off road anyway. I'll say it again - small bicycle pump, only @ 6" long by 1" diameter and weighs just a few ounces. mM2mCnrZSmwHCkGaNxYoHYA.jpg
Re tyre pressures, on my CRF I found the handbook pressure, @18 psi, was good for offroad but for tarmac increasing by 6 psi worked well.
As for repairs on tubed tyres, I carried spare tubes ( now they were heavy) but have my doubts I would have been able to change a tyre in the boonies alone. Perhaps some 'gloop' would be worth a thought for emergencies?
cleardot.gif

Yes, and I guess if you have spokes you need tubes, don't think I would fancy changing a tube in the sticks and heat, so a puncture repair outfit would be better. No need to remove the wheel.