Thai Letters Instead Of Åå Ää Öö

I bought a new computer about 6 months ago, which came with XP Pro English. A few weeks ago I had hard drive failure on the OS drive due to a failing power supply in the case.

Everything was under warranty, but when the system came back, suddenly letters with diacritics and umlauts started showing as Thai signs instead of Roman signs with diacritics. This is inside of all applications - it is pretty annoying to read web-based e-mails in Swedish when Åå Ää and Öö are replaced with ไ and other Thai letters.

I assume it may have something to do with how the language settings are managed, but I do not know exactly what causes it to happen. The system came back from the shop with English and Thai pre-installed. Me adding Swedish as an option did not fix the issue.

Could it be that this happened due to the tech guy installing Thai before English, or is there another explanation - and lastly and most importantly, does anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance :o

Go to control panel/regional and language options. Select Engrish or Swedish as the default on all tabs, check the "apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile". Hit ok and have your windows cd available. A reboot is usually required too. Then get a good antivirus/spyware scanner and scan your system before you use it for online banking etc.